+ Visit Cambridge United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: So then....

So then....

Anybody doing anything interesting this bank holiday? I came up this morning to pick up some stuff but won't be going back until Thursday due to Red Funnel being a ferry down and it won't be back in service until then,the queues are unbelievable

County are still non league. Your comment please.

OK Chalky?

We’re doing nowt. Still far too busy ootside for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    County are still non league. Your comment please.
    I watched the game on tv and Notts was second best on the day,you've only got one chance on the day and we blew it

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    OK Chalky?

We’re doing nowt. Still far too busy ootside for my liking.
    It will all die down eventually Griff when things get back to normal,how is your mum? I saw an old Antiques Roadshow the other day and they was talking about the woman in WW2 and the transporting of planes by women got mentioned,it's a part of your family history that's to be proud about

Visited her this morning Chalky and she’s fine in her care-home. Aye, there were women pilots during the war ferrying planes over from Canada, amongst other places. I think Hughie Green did it too. My Dad fixed up the electrics in planes and often had to go up in bombers that were barely airworthy to set up instruments. He said that the Solway Firth was nicknamed Hudson Bay because of all the Hudsons that ditched in there.

Interesting times.

My dad was in WW2, on the other side. Ive mentioned this to a number of people, telling them my dad was trying to kill yours, and your family. Ive never got a response, just blank looks. It cant be believed. Growing up with THAT was no fun either.

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Visited her this morning Chalky and she’s fine in her care-home. Aye, there were women pilots during the war ferrying planes over from Canada, amongst other places. I think Hughie Green did it too. My Dad fixed up the electrics in planes and often had to go up in bombers that were barely airworthy to set up instruments. He said that the Solway Firth was nicknamed Hudson Bay because of all the Hudsons that ditched in there.

Interesting times.
    We will never see the likes of your mum and dad ever again,when she was a young girl she never imagined that she would be transporting planes from one place to another for the war effort,if I lived in the early 40's and they "tried" to train me to do it I would fail miserably I know that I would,I could talk to people like your mum and dad for hours and not get bored

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    My dad was in WW2, on the other side. Ive mentioned this to a number of people, telling them my dad was trying to kill yours, and your family. Ive never got a response, just blank looks. It cant be believed. Growing up with THAT was no fun either.
    Why do you tell people then Frank?
    The fact that your dad fought for the Germans doesn't make him a nazi,the rise of the Nazi Party in the 30's was very successful because they sold the people a dream,joining groups like the Hitler Youth was compulsory and if you didn't join then they would come and get you never to be seen again,just like when they invaded other countries,if you wasn't with them then you was against then and shot,the German public didn't know what we know now

I didnt intend too in the beginning, it came out on its own, it was a family secret. I only found out because my mother told me. If you questioned him you got nothing, and he hated you for it. I know very little of his family. He did say one thing about the Jews though, that they were people too.

When the Germans invaded Belarus, he joined up, he didnt join the resistance. He was about 19 20, if you put a gun into the hands of someone that young, they are going to use it. Especially when your superiors say its ok, even needed. It fits his personality. He was not a good man.

I used to mention it for fun, but it isnt really, i dont think anyone believed me anyway. When i was a lad, Cambridge was full of eastern europeans, all claiming to be polish. He had three or four mates who came round to play cards, using european cards, drinking vodka with blackcurrent . Prisoners of war were set free, only the top people paid.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)