+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Risdale - Is is just me?

Risdale - Is is just me?

Is is just me or is it shades of Risdale?

I know that we've signed brilliant players and have a world class coach. Also understand that we get big money going up and have potential big money behind us with possibly QSI or the 49's. Finally, I understand the big risks pay big returns but it's still hard to believe that we've gone from fighting for free transfers, loans and losing good players to powerhouses like Norwich, Bournemouth and Aston Villa to going after the world class players we've signed or seriously working on.

Definitely, a world class roller coaster ride.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Is is just me or is it shades of Risdale?

I know that we've signed brilliant players and have a world class coach. Also understand that we get big money going up and have potential big money behind us with possibly QSI or the 49's. Finally, I understand the big risks pay big returns but it's still hard to believe that we've gone from fighting for free transfers, loans and losing good players to powerhouses like Norwich, Bournemouth and Aston Villa to going after the world class players we've signed or seriously working on.

Definitely, a world class roller coaster ride.
    Firstly, we have not spent such a huge amount, considering what we will be getting for coming up. During the Ridsdale days, we were spending about the same amount as Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea etc. Approximately the same but did not have the same assets. Chelsea are going to be spending more than double what we will be spending. Aston Villa spent about 100 mill for, nothing really. If we spend around 100 mill, its about right.
    Nevertheless, I do have some problems with trying to get this boy from Zagreb and still poking around for Kent. Orta said quality over quantity. Doesn't look like that to me.

It’s just you.

I'm trusting that our financial meltdown history goes before us and al those tapping the abacus are very well aware. Saying that we can't compare particularly to Chelsea, spend they had an embargo, also they have amassed monies over many years at top. Us just going up, i think it was about 25M just to upgrade existing staff wages and some facilities. We have some good sponsorship deals and and the global brand potential could be off the scale. (I wonder how much the 49ers connection is encouraging this spend)
    Taking it all into account I'd prefer we have one or 2 more purchases than be thin on the ground. MB likes to keep a small squad which is good but this league is unforgiving any injuries could be calamitous with a small squad.

13m and 25m on two high quality players is chump change these days.

Villa want 80m for Grealish ffs, Chelsea are about to pay 72m for Havertz after buying Werner 48m, Ziyech and the other ones for a total of nearly 200m

City just paid what 40m for Ake?

Its just the way things are, I genuinely think we've done so far the best we can rather than overpay for Championship signings like Watkins, Benrahma etc

I don't think it is about what we spend it is about keeping the core of the team the same, which due to White not re-signing took a hit but the majority will still be first choice. Where Fulham went wrong and others is they completley changed their line up.

GK- Meslier
    RB- Ayling
    CB- Koch
    CB- Cooper
    LB- Dallas
    CDM- Phillips
    CM- Klich
    CAM- Rodrigo?
    RW- Costa
    LW- Harrison
    ST- Bamford

At the moment only two of our starting 11 would even change, I thik we still need to sign another cb, id rather a better gk and a striker. Get those and we are fine in my opinion

Nothing like Publicity Pete era. That financial model required us in the end to get to the champions league SF ever year.

A lot of the players were owned by third parties and we securitised future revenue (season ticket and gate receipt revenue).

Seems like they are just spending the TV/PL money. Under this seasons model you get an extra 3m for every extra place you jump up the league too - some of it they may hope to recoup that way.

Seems that they are going after quality long term targets or those Bielsa wants - Gvardiol is someone he really wants.

I am just relieved we seem to be strengthening in the areas we had gaps or weakness. A quality midfielder and another CB seem sensible.

Kent and Henry also seem to be back on the agenda.

As I said elsewhere the money typically isn’t payable all up front but over several years.

I have not heard mention of hiring in goldfish yet or paying fringe players 50k per week a la Seth Johnson (that is more than a lot of the squad is on even though it is 20 years plus since he signed that contract - that was how mad the financial model was then.

A lot of the rule changes on third party ownership and securitising revenue were based on lessons learnt from Leeds and others following that route.
    Last edited by hopelesslyoptimistic; 01-09-2020 at 06:42 PM.

if Ridsdale had spent sone of his cash on a proper coach like Bielsa, that side wouldve won the CL.

Quote Originally Posted by asturianblanco View Post
    if Ridsdale had spent sone of his cash on a proper coach like Bielsa, that side wouldve won the CL.
    Probably writing a book and appearances on Question time, wasn’t the best way to prepare a team.

We are spending what we have got rather than borrowing what we can't afford to pay back.
    Doubt very much our owner will risk our whole future like Liesdale did.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)