+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Aaron Lennon- Turkish Delight ?

Aaron Lennon- Turkish Delight ?

When this footballer signed for us, I was excited for two reasons. 1. I thought he would have been a good acquisition at the time. 2. It showed that our board wanted to spend some money. During his spell at the Turf, to say he under achieved is a massive understatement. At £10m , I thought we were getting a player who had a fair bit to offer and would improve our squad at the same time. How wrong we all were. Everton knew what they were doing, by offloading him on to us ( was it Allardyce at the time ?). Obviously our club didn’t know what they were letting themselves in for, and the fans soon found out, when his contribution to the cause was non existent, often going “missing “ ,during games. I can’t recall anyone on here raving about his performances. Can you ? We just cannot afford to make these type of errors if we want to stay where we are. Any thoughts anyone ?

I remember.....

- had a distinct smell of cardboard and green shield stamps.

All our incomings are not disclosed, but through the grapevine I'm sure it was said we paid around £2 Million, and unlike you I thought 2 Mill was too much for a player way past his best.

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    When this footballer signed for us, I was excited for two reasons. 1. I thought he would have been a good acquisition at the time. 2. It showed that our board wanted to spend some money. During his spell at the Turf, to say he under achieved is a massive understatement. At £10m , I thought we were getting a player who had a fair bit to offer and would improve our squad at the same time. How wrong we all were. Everton knew what they were doing, by offloading him on to us ( was it Allardyce at the time ?). Obviously our club didn’t know what they were letting themselves in for, and the fans soon found out, when his contribution to the cause was non existent, often going “missing “ ,during games. I can’t recall anyone on here raving about his performances. Can you ? We just cannot afford to make these type of errors if we want to stay where we are. Any thoughts anyone ?
    I worry about these kinds of posts.

Not that you are wrong Mal its just that it gives more firepower to those that hold the purse strings.

Let's not spend any money for fear of failure.

No club has bought players that never fail.

But failure should be a spur to getting it right and for greater accountability from those that make poor decisions.

It seems to me this never happens and the only way power brokers react is by denying funds.

It has a familiar ring to it--doesn't it?

We paid £2 million for an England international football player, capped many times by different England managers.

He was brought in to bolster the squad. He did that, we had our moneys worth - move on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    We paid £2 million for an England international football player, capped many times by different England managers.

He was brought in to bolster the squad. He did that, we had our moneys worth - move on.
    Agree BT. He featured in 46 out of a possible 81 Premier League games until the lockdown and did a job when he played.

I was a bit underwhelmed with his performances for us, I was expecting more, one of the reasons was because a mate of mine had an Everton ST, and he said he was sorry to see him go. He was quite convinced he'd do a good job for us, but he just did an OK job, nowt special at all.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)