+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the media biased

I had to smile at this in yesterday's paper . Rupert Murdoch is to launch a new tv station. A job advert for News UK reveals the company's new channel through the prime time evening hours . They looking for a series producer, people with a background in comedy to apply (wonder why ) Applications for this role will close on 22Sept . Sounds like another Fox news to me especially as News UK have hired former Fox News president David Rhodes
    On the same page a rival project is being devised to outdo the BBC by Sir Robbie Gibb ,Theresa Mays former Downing St director of communications , good luck with that one not hard to guess where the money for that will be coming from

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    The significant over-representation of some minorities (BAME, male LGBT) and under-representation of others (disabled. old) in professional on screen roles is a matter of record (I can't find the link i offered to the independant organisation which publish this info, at least that proves I don't have TTR linkmania, I'll find it later), but that's almost not the issue with news and current affairs, the ratios for 'talking heads' is even more skewed, there is further data (admittedly from folk 'trying to prove a point' but their methods are relatively scientific if crude, and easy to verify on a limited basis) that supports this. My point continues to be, and I'll use inflamatory language here 'I don't like to be lied to'. Take your point about 'the ship having sailed', the irritation/anger (and again my social media is full of it today) comes from the size of the ship.

Also take your point about advertising, I would THINK corporations would be doing their research, and you're right about social media (especially facebook and twitter) where people love nothing more (scuse the phrase) than a massive circle-jerk on a given topic. My unfiltered news feed finds many such groups on all sides of all arguments, with little or no opposing views in evidence.

My WTC7 comment doesn't make me a conspiracy theory supporter btw, I just like to be convinced on things and that one is less convincing that WTC1 and 2 - having said that I'm not a structural engineer
    I suspect that one could prove any theory, or pet obsession if one trys hard enough, I mean Thicky can produce any number of links to internet "sources", most of which a blind gnat would not take as proof of anything other than there are a number of people whose grip on reality and facts is at best tenuous.

I'll do some digging and get back to you on this. I'm not convinced there actually is an issue other than those whose insecurity makes BAME representation an issue. Or perhaps its a generational thing?

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I suspect that one could prove any theory, or pet obsession if one trys hard enough, I mean Thicky can produce any number of links to internet "sources", most of which a blind gnat would not take as proof of anything other than there are a number of people whose grip on reality and facts is at best tenuous.

I'll do some digging and get back to you on this. I'm not convinced there actually is an issue other than those whose insecurity makes BAME representation an issue. Or perhaps its a generational thing?
    https://creativediversitynetwork.com...mond_25Feb.pdf may help although I do accept the (older, less wide ranging) ofcom analysis shows a different picture mainly through using different population percentages
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 11-09-2020 at 10:15 PM.

With regard to the WTC7 crash. Wasn't that the one where a BBC reporter, reporting from close to "ground zero", told the camera, and thus us too, that WYC7 had also fallen................. only WTC7 was still visible in the background of the shot. The building collapsed some 20 minutes or so later.

Was that what you were referring to Andy?

QUOTE=MadAmster;39571754]Belief in what IS in there added to belief in what they THINK is in there as well is what leads to the grooming gangs in Rochdale and many other UK towns and cities. When police hear of grooming, they should thoroughly investigate, weigh the evidence against the Law, charge and prosecute those perpetrating the alleged crimes (they are all alleged until proven or otherwise in a Court of Law) .....REGARDLESS OF THE COLOUR, RELIGION, NATIONALITY OF THE ALLEGED PERPETRATOR(S).[/QUOTE]

They should. But they don't. investigations aren't worth the risk. It's much safer for them to look the other way. To be fair to the police, I'm sure they would never let COLOUR and RELIGION> be a factor in their enquiries. Or maybe. If only.

They wouldn't want themselves or their families be put at risk by anyone regardless of of their ethnicity. Perish the thought.Even if the the perpetrator's crimes were only 'alleged'.

It's worth pointing out. As a right-wing 'contributor' with no affillations to DCFC I should know.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    With regard to the WTC7 crash. Wasn't that the one where a BBC reporter, reporting from close to "ground zero", told the camera, and thus us too, that WYC7 had also fallen................. only WTC7 was still visible in the background of the shot. The building collapsed some 20 minutes or so later.

Was that what you were referring to Andy?
    I've seen that but I think that was explained away. I am not the type to go looking for conspiracies, I just didn't get and still struggle with the explanations given for WTC7.

I've seen that but I think that was explained away. I am not the type to go looking for conspiracies, I just didn't get and still struggle with the explanations given for WTC7.
    Never understood it myself Andy. There was a programme on it once, showing a model of how the floors were made up, They sat on tabs, and when the steel warped just a few cm, it was like a pack of cards. The weight going up and up and up, with each floor collapse. Still David Icke makes a living out of it, who I am to argue with King of conspiracies.

https://creativediversitynetwork.com...mond_25Feb.pdf may help although I do accept the (older, less wide ranging) ofcom analysis shows a different picture mainly through using different population percentages
    I really don't buy it, I think your perception is coloured by the predominate theme that is churned out by many media sources, a trope that is pushed by Government, the right wing establishment and its media, that somehow the left controls the cultural narrative.

In the United Kingdom, the spectre of a Marxist takeover is also invoked across the right wing spectrum, including the current attorney general. Conservative commentators like to claim that the left in Britain “controls almost every institution”.

“Control” cannot refer to representative government: winning elections and forming governments that promote leftwing principles and policies. It cannot mean that because, when it comes to political representation, the left in Britain has been in opposition for the best part of the last 100 years. Even in the few cases in which it succeeded in winning elections, it did so while relinquishing traditional leftwing commitments, promoting an image of itself as competent and pragmatic, neither right nor left.

When the right claims that the “left is in control”, they know the left has no political or economic power, but claim that it nonetheless pervades society and culture.

For the right, those who question the legacy of the empire or making efforts to decolonise university curriculums have created a situation in which “the very underpinnings of western liberal democracies are being subverted and destroyed”. Instead of asking why so many of the songs we sing, roads we walk down and statues we pass contain traces of an injustice whose legacy continues to shape the present, Conservative MPs are urged to be “the vanguard” of the opposition to the left’s “remorseless cancel culture”.

But the left that has neither adequate political organisation (in both Britain and the US, the leading progressive parties, in opposition, are run by their centre or right factions) nor any kind of significant control over the economy to be culturally hegemonic. Ideas and discourses do not float in the air, they reflect wider societal patterns. The same ruling elites who shape politics and the economy also shape the intellectual debate.

Look at the evidence, the economy is unthinkingly covered in much of the press from the point of view of asset owners, its large corporations who play a determining role in producing culture and the arts. The fantasy of leftwing hegemony in rightwing countries is not about principles, but tactics. Very successful ones, where many of those with little influence and control, thats around 94% of the population, are somehow convinced there is this left wing plot to subvert society, it feeds into the very real fears of people about changes to society, their lives and the ability to control their destiny.

But instead of punching up and asking why it is that Britain's richest 1% have accumulated as much wealth as the poorest 55% of the population put together, why is the gap between rich and poor increasing, why jobs are more insecure and why an institution like the BBC is under threat, there is a "punching down" against immigrants, against changes in thought on injustice and disadvantage.

By trying to realise the false notion that “national values” are at risk of disappearing at the hands of powerful leftists, the right can mobilise support for those in power – despite the sorry state of the economy or disastrous outcome of public policy.

In short yes your being lied to, but not by some mysterious powerful left wing force, but by the right wing elite of this country who are pushing this theory so that you and others can completely ignore the fact that over the past decade, the rich have got richer, the poor have got poorer, health inequalities have widened, basic services have been cut, the amount the richest pay into the national pot has reduced, tax avoidance is a far greater loss to the economy than benefit fraud, society is less fair and corruption, money laundering and nepotism has increased.

The very fact that you and others feel there is an issue about BAME representation in the media and entertainment demonstrates how successful this left wing conspiracy theory promoted by the right has been!
    Last edited by swaledale; 13-09-2020 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    QUOTE=MadAmster;39571754]Belief in what IS in there added to belief in what they THINK is in there as well is what leads to the grooming gangs in Rochdale and many other UK towns and cities. When police hear of grooming, they should thoroughly investigate, weigh the evidence against the Law, charge and prosecute those perpetrating the alleged crimes (they are all alleged until proven or otherwise in a Court of Law) .....REGARDLESS OF THE COLOUR, RELIGION, NATIONALITY OF THE ALLEGED PERPETRATOR(S).

They should. But they don't. investigations aren't worth the risk. It's much safer for them to look the other way. To be fair to the police, I'm sure they would never let COLOUR and RELIGION> be a factor in their enquiries. Or maybe. If only.

They wouldn't want themselves or their families be put at risk by anyone regardless of of their ethnicity. Perish the thought.Even if the the perpetrator's crimes were only 'alleged'.

It's worth pointing out. As a right-wing 'contributor' with no affillations to DCFC I should know. [/QUOTE]

Every crime is alleged until proven in a Court of Law.

There may be a case to drop "alleged" when the accused pleads guilty but even then, it has been known for the police to coerce a confession.....

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I really don't buy it, I think your perception is coloured by the predominate theme that is churned out by many media sources, a trope that is pushed by Government, the right wing establishment and its media, that somehow the left controls the cultural narrative.

In the United Kingdom, the spectre of a Marxist takeover is also invoked across the right wing spectrum, including the current attorney general. Conservative commentators like to claim that the left in Britain “controls almost every institution”.

“Control” cannot refer to representative government: winning elections and forming governments that promote leftwing principles and policies. It cannot mean that because, when it comes to political representation, the left in Britain has been in opposition for the best part of the last 100 years. Even in the few cases in which it succeeded in winning elections, it did so while relinquishing traditional leftwing commitments, promoting an image of itself as competent and pragmatic, neither right nor left.

When the right claims that the “left is in control”, they know the left has no political or economic power, but claim that it nonetheless pervades society and culture.

For the right, those who question the legacy of the empire or making efforts to decolonise university curriculums have created a situation in which “the very underpinnings of western liberal democracies are being subverted and destroyed”. Instead of asking why so many of the songs we sing, roads we walk down and statues we pass contain traces of an injustice whose legacy continues to shape the present, Conservative MPs are urged to be “the vanguard” of the opposition to the left’s “remorseless cancel culture”.

But the left that has neither adequate political organisation (in both Britain and the US, the leading progressive parties, in opposition, are run by their centre or right factions) nor any kind of significant control over the economy to be culturally hegemonic. Ideas and discourses do not float in the air, they reflect wider societal patterns. The same ruling elites who shape politics and the economy also shape the intellectual debate.

Look at the evidence, the economy is unthinkingly covered in much of the press from the point of view of asset owners, its large corporations who play a determining role in producing culture and the arts. The fantasy of leftwing hegemony in rightwing countries is not about principles, but tactics. Very successful ones, where many of those with little influence and control, thats around 94% of the population, are somehow convinced there is this left wing plot to subvert society, it feeds into the very real fears of people about changes to society, their lives and the ability to control their destiny.

But instead of punching up and asking why it is that Britain's richest 1% have accumulated as much wealth as the poorest 55% of the population put together, why is the gap between rich and poor increasing, why jobs are more insecure and why an institution like the BBC is under threat, there is a "punching down" against immigrants, against changes in thought on injustice and disadvantage.

By trying to realise the false notion that “national values” are at risk of disappearing at the hands of powerful leftists, the right can mobilise support for those in power – despite the sorry state of the economy or disastrous outcome of public policy.

In short yes your being lied to, but not by some mysterious powerful left wing force, but by the right wing elite of this country who are pushing this theory so that you and others can completely ignore the fact that over the past decade, the rich have got richer, the poor have got poorer, health inequalities have widened, basic services have been cut, the amount the richest pay into the national pot has reduced, tax avoidance is a far greater loss to the economy than benefit fraud, society is less fair and corruption, money laundering and nepotism has increased.

The very fact that you and others feel there is an issue about BAME representation in the media and entertainment demonstrates how successful this left wing conspiracy theory promoted by the right has been!
    Pretty sure Tricky will agree with every word of that 😂

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)