+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the media biased

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    I don't think a policeman doing his job will be any happier having things thrown at him because the person has a more legitimate cause or for that matter innocent business owners who have their livelihood destroyed by looters and arsonists.

People lost their lives in wars, to give us the freedom, to peacefully protest and not abuse that freedom. You abuse any freedom or privilege and you're likely to have it taken away from you.
    It was a question Ram, and I do fully accept the points in your first paragraph...there is never a justification for ‘innocent business owners’ to suffer in that way.

Thinking of the BLM protest in Bristol though...I’m not aware that any damage was done to business premises or that there was looting and arson. Clearly the statue was toppled and damaged and I have to admit to having some sympathy with that action in all the circumstances at the time.
    I’m not certain that was the best way of going about things, but I suspect the police probably believed the anger to be much more justified than the type of behaviour we see from the ‘far right’...or right wing extremists, if that’s a more fitting description.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    IMO there's two aspects, biased reporting of stories and 'controlling the narrative'.

In respect of the former, the printed press most definitely do, reading a Guardian and Daily Mail spin on the same story makes amusing reading. I don't think the broadcast media are quite as bad but there is IMO a clear left (BBC, CH4, Sky) / right (LBC, RT) 'inclination'.

In respect of the latter though, I think there's a definitely a level of control being exercised, or maybe the media are just trying to recover the level of control they had before social media punched a hole in their bubble.

A very current example is the way the news of the Birmingham stabbings has been reported. Two of my family DJ in that area and are therefore fairly well connected, and a broad description of the perp was circulating on their social media around 3am - yet the media (maybe in some respects led by the police) declined to mention his colour throughout yesterday, and as far as I'm aware still haven't despite now showing a video. Forgetting all other reasons, that's out of order from a public safety point of view, because how can the public help the Police or keep themselves safe if they don't know who/what to keep themselves safe from?
    Well if you look in any paper today you can clearly see the suspect the police are asking information about is black

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    They should use just one test. Has the Law been broken? If so, they should take action. They can "have a word". They can issue an official warning, They can arrest and charge you. They cannot be heavy handed at you and then ignore me.
    Think what Tricky tends to forget all police orders on what and when they can do things comes direct from his friends in the Home Office

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Is there not some sort of case for taking context into account? I don’t actually applaud or condone violence or disruption as means of protest, think it does much more harm than good.
    There perhaps are times however when the cause should be taken into account eg...the illegal shooting and murder of black men in the U.S, the Grenfell Tower tragedy, the invasion of Iraq...where protest seems much more justified than appears to be the case when a bunch of maliciously motivated thugs take to the streets to ‘complain’ about desperate people arriving on our shores via rubber dinghy.
    They are the same right wing thugs who in 2004 used to try to intimidate the arriving Polish . But they steer well clear now because their are a lot more Poles than them . Also bullies never fight when they no they can't win

Slightly more light hearted, I was listening to radio 5 live, and the presenter said that he was sure that every neutral football fan would be pleased to see Leeds finally play in the Premier League again. Surely, if a fan is neutral, then why would they care any more about Leeds than say West Brom? Seems pretty biased to me, and I'm pretty biased!

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Think what Tricky tends to forget all police orders on what and when they can do things comes direct from his friends in the Home Office
    Don't talk wet. Again an allogation of "my friends" You need help.

So in a line of policemen, a few bent the knee, some didn't. Whose orders were they?
    Who gave the order to get kitted up for battle, or to run away? The Home office?
    You obviosuly don't have a clue on the chain of command, unless the home office now sit on horses at the front. Laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Well if you look in any paper today you can clearly see the suspect the police are asking information about is black
    Fair go, I tend to focus on broadcast media. There's a pretty feisty little chat online on this exact subject, the case for the defence being that the photos and videos offered to the police (the ones now in the public domain) might not have been clear enough for a description!

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Don't talk wet. Again an allogation of "my friends" You need help.

So in a line of policemen, a few bent the knee, some didn't. Whose orders were they?
    Who gave the order to get kitted up for battle, or to run away? The Home office?
    You obviosuly don't have a clue on the chain of command, unless the home office now sit on horses at the front. Laughable.
    Ha ha best you can come up with U think a five yr old has a better knowledge of command than you obviously have thick

The Home Office are in charge of all policing in England and Wales and The Scottish government for the piling of Scotland jeez how thick can you get

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)