+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: Are the media biased

Im not suggesting that Trump speaks the truth......... just wondering at a philosophical level what "truth" means. It is quite possible that Trump believes in his own version of truth - certainly there are those that do.

There are always people who passionately believe in their version of the truth, which may be as far divorced from your or my perception of "truth". So you cannot contend that "You don't lose any argument when you tell the truth" when so many people see truth differently. Thats all my point was

Trump created the term "alternative facts" just after his inauguration claiming there were far more people there than there had for any previous inauguration. The Mall was half empty............

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Im not suggesting that Trump speaks the truth......... just wondering at a philosophical level what "truth" means. It is quite possible that Trump believes in his own version of truth - certainly there are those that do.

There are always people who passionately believe in their version of the truth, which may be as far divorced from your or my perception of "truth". So you cannot contend that "You don't lose any argument when you tell the truth" when so many people see truth differently. Thats all my point was
    Yes fair enough Geoff you are correct different people do see truth differently Trump uses the same assumption as you that nobody can argue because everybody's idea of the truth varies . So when said "I am the least racist person I know " I have to accept it . Pretty sure Mexicans , blacks, Obama and Nelson Mandela didn't accept it

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    For the purposes of that statement, define "truth"

In my experience, different people perceive "truth" in different ways: there is no universal truth. Its all a matter of perception, recollection, collective memory etc.
    Indeed and too many people treat CNN as God's word while treating anything Fox as the work of Satan.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    Indeed and too many people treat CNN as God's word while treating anything Fox as the work of Satan.
    But you would say that, Gunteryy...because, unless I’m very much mistaken, you have a significant Right wing bias yourself. Therefore you are very comfortable with the views of Fox but uncomfortable with the CNN version because it is slightly to the Left of centre...i.e. in U.S./Republican terms...positively Commie!

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    Even FOX, which were overtly partisan to trump are now criticising him sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I’m not entirely sure I’m following your argument here, Gunteryy.
    It’s quite possible, imo, that accusations of racism can be overused...but, in Trump’s case...if, as they say, ‘it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and sounds like a duck...it probably is a duck.’
    There are too many examples of Trump behaving and sounding like a racist for it not to be the case. Calling it out isn’t ‘losing the argument’.
    Yes, 'probably'. Let me simplify this. Name calling puts an end to any argument. You can continue to accuse someone of this, that or the other but you won't justify your opinion of that person forever. If eventually you name call, probably out of frustration, impatience or exasperation, you have put an end to the argument without having proved your case. Consider this a face-to-face exchange

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I’m not entirely sure I’m following your argument here, Gunteryy.
    It’s quite possible, imo, that accusations of racism can be overused...but, in Trump’s case...if, as they say, ‘it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and sounds like a duck...it probably is a duck.’
    There are too many examples of Trump behaving and sounding like a racist for it not to be the case. Calling it out isn’t ‘losing the argument’.
    Yes, 'probably'. Let me simplify this. Name calling puts an end to any argument. You can continue to accuse someone of this, that or the other but you won't justify your opinion of that person forever. If eventually you name call, probably out of frustration, impatience or exasperation, you have put an end to the argument without having proved your case. Consider this a face-to-face exchange
    Last edited by GUNTERYY36; 23-09-2020 at 10:57 AM.

In fairness, those people are no doubt better than me at posting on football forums!

v

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)