+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T New Mainline Train Station

This has been talked about in the councils plans on their website for the boroughs future.

On the map, the marker is clearly Masbrough and I think its mentioned specifically.

Other option would be a "Swinton parkway" style station. Stuff goes through there that does not stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    The CrossCountry and TransPennine services run along that route though which would be a lot better service than the town is getting now.

Absolutely agree.

The whole thing is a rouse, hollow words story. Don’t see anything changing. Rotherham is a backwater, a suburb and just the way Sheffield want to keep it. They don’t give too hoots that you have to travel further and longer to get to services.
    I just can’t see anything changing. I will still be having to travel to Meadowhall to catch the trans Pennine express, the train that goes to the airport, the place that people go to mostly without baggage, so no need for baggage storage on the train.

I thought the train station had just been refurbished at great expense. Not good planning

I was reading one of the many books on the history of Rotherham recently and apparently the first station, or one of the first, was located on Main Street right in town in between the postal sorting office and where the old post office / Yates' used to be. I think it served mainly as a link to Sheffield

Even if it’s given the thumbs up it won’t happen anytime soon, Rotherham always plays 2nd fiddle to other nearby towns. As for Masbrough it’s not in town centre that’s why it closed down years ago!

Not going to happen

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    I thought the train station had just been refurbished at great expense. Not good planning

I was reading one of the many books on the history of Rotherham recently and apparently the first station, or one of the first, was located on Main Street right in town in between the postal sorting office and where the old post office / Yates' used to be. I think it served mainly as a link to Sheffield
    Was Rotherham station then became Westgate Station, when the current loop was built. Although Central Station used to be back along the track where the police station is now.

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post

I remember being taught at the Grammar School in the 60’s that Rotherham was the main line and it was a Branch Line to Sheffield! Not sure how true that was but we were shown a map. Could have been a Fred Kemp special of course.

Quote Originally Posted by pip_y View Post
    I remember being taught at the Grammar School in the 60’s that Rotherham was the main line and it was a Branch Line to Sheffield! Not sure how true that was but we were shown a map. Could have been a Fred Kemp special of course.
    That’s believable really, the two rails nearest the station building run a direct route to chesterfield which is on the midland mainline to London. The other two tracks go via Meadowhall to Sheffield so maybe some truth in what you was told.

History of Masborough Station and lines:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rother...ailway_station

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast