+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Yorkshire Evening Post

Yorkshire Evening Post

I've posted before when they scrapped their LUFC App - terrible decision - it was the best source for all news and information and really accessible (when it worked).

Now they've made their website a subscription service. I once read that newspapers have no need to make any money from actually selling paper, because ad revenue more than provides profit.

The YEP would always be my preferred place to go for club news, match reports etc but not anymore. They don't need my money and i don't need to give them my information. Sad they are so short-sighted.

That would only apply to local free newspapers, as their packed with local buy and sell, houses, cars... Regional and National papers have always need subscribers, their circulation figures reflect the prices they can charge to the large brand advertisers. And since the profusion of online methods for news and advertising have evolved, most are struggling, trying to get online advertising and subs. Notwithstanding many of the stories get lifted by bloggers.

Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    That would only apply to local free newspapers, as their packed with local buy and sell, houses, cars... Regional and National papers have always need subscribers, their circulation figures reflect the prices they can charge to the large brand advertisers. And since the profusion of online methods for news and advertising have evolved, most are struggling, trying to get online advertising and subs. Notwithstanding many of the stories get lifted by bloggers.
    Agree to an extent, but look what happened when the Russian guy acquired the Evening Standard. At the time, it was paid for, so you ad newspaper sellers all over the place, cash collection requirements etc etc. Then he made it a free paper, and readership rocketed (hardly surprising) and he could demand more from advertisers, (without cramming the paper with ads like Metro for instance, another free rag), remove loads of cost from the system and the paper retains its reputation for good journalism (even if its a tad biased towards the tory party!).

I'd agree with Jez though, as a paper that still has a fairly high "hard-copy" readership, YEP could follow the ES model, (in print and online modes), and get more of the revenue it needs from advertising based on a wider readership/circulation.

But will they listen? Don't hold your breath!

Seem to be able to look at articles without restriction today so wonder if they have changed the policy.

For those that haven’t tried it The Athletic is still offering 30 day free trials - some interesting stuff on there.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)