+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Macclesfield get yet another 7 days

Meanwhile the likes of Sky Sports continue to waffle on about Bale's apparent wage demands, ONE WEEK of which would have saved Macc. I'm not ignoring the mismanagement at Macc but surely this illustrates the destruction the Premier League/Sky bandwagon has wreaked on football. The game is broken.

Macclesfield Town Football Club has been wound up in the High Court over debts totalling more than £500,000.

Judge Sebastian Prentis made a winding-up order during a hearing in the Insolvency and Companies Court after being told £190,000 was owed in tax.

In addition, a solicitor for John Askey said the National League club's ex-manager was owed £173,000, while a financial lender was owed the same sum.

The club's owner Amar Alkadhi had asked for a further eight-week adjournment.

The decision to wind up the club comes just over a month after Macclesfield were relegated from the English Football League at the end of a tumultuous 2019-20 season on and off the pitch.

Players went on strike in November after failing to be paid, which resulted in the club fielding youth players in their FA Cup defeat by Kingstonian, while the Silkmen were deducted points on three separate occasions for issues relating to payment of salaries and failure to fulfil League Two fixtures against Plymouth and Crewe.

Alkadhi stepped down as chairman in August, just before the EFL won an appeal against what they saw as a lenient points deduction.

The stronger punishment imposed by an independent panel resulted in their relegation to the National League and a reprieve for Stevenage, who had finished bottom of the fourth-tier table when the season was curtailed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

'Ample opportunity' to pay creditors, says judge
    The winding-up petition, which had been adjourned for a 12th time last week, began in January 2019 and was scheduled to be heard again on Wednesday after Alkadhi claimed that a sale to Robert Benwell was at an advanced stage.

Benwell, who previously tried to buy Bury, was not mentioned in court on Wednesday by Alkadhi's lawyer, who asked for a further eight weeks to allow a sale to go through.

The judge later said that a business plan from Benwell had not been put forward to the court, however.

The court was told that Alkadhi understood the amount due to creditors was actually just £4,000, had made a late offer to pay an initial £20,000 of the debt owed to HM Revenue & Customs and had made available a screenshot of a bank statement with £1.1m of funds to show that creditors could be paid.

However, Judge Prentis said he would grant a compulsory order, saying "nothing gives me comfort that the club can pay its debts in a reasonable period" and that there had been "ample opportunity" for Alkadhi to pay off creditors.

He went on to say that he had not been told by Alkadhi where the £1.1m had come from or why outstanding debts had not already been paid.

Southend winding-up petition adjourned until 28 October

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54177582

The original debt was less than £100,000 I believe. If they couldn't pay that on time, where are they going to get over half a million in 5 days? Sadly, they're gone

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    I believe it is a standard proviso. But I am not an expert in insolvency.
    Nor am I but it just seems odd that after all the past shenanigans by the owner he is still given another five days. The article indicates the court had had enough and had brought the case to an end, maybe as an example to others who might pretend COVID was a reason for not paying their debts.

Sad news. Always seems to be Northern clubs in bother these days.

We had a strange record against them, very good at their place, terrible at home. Only two wins between us on our own grounds in 18 meetings!

We lost our first game at Moss Rose and then remained unbeaten in the last 8 visits. The 0-5 home defeat in 2005 will probably go down as one of the all-time lows, but we won 4-0 there in our 2nd Munto league fixture four years later.

Never met in cup competitions, the record against them is....

Pld:18 W:5 D:8 L:5 F:18 A:20 GD:-2 pts:23
    Average PPG: 1.28

A sad day for fans of Macclesfield Town and for English Football.

That’s two clubs in the past 18 months with a long rich history gone. It just goes to show how close we were ourselves and thankfully the Reedtz Brothers saved us. We owe so much gratitude to those two.

Football does need to take a long hard look at itself and especially more so in these Covid 19 times because sadly I foresee more clubs will follow the path of Bury and Macclesfield.

If clubs outgoings are more than the income then unless they have custodians who are prepared to pay the shortfall the debt grows and grows and they will always be in a perilous position. It’s the basic rule of managing finances. That is why the custodians need to be held more accountable that let clubs get in a financial mess.

With no fans being in football grounds for six months now in the lower leagues this should be a reality check for some clubs if they are to survive both short and long term.

Its awful, I really feel for their fans, we were so lucky that the Danes saved our bacon... I hope somebody has a heart and saves the club...

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    A sad day for fans of Macclesfield Town and for English Football.

That’s two clubs in the past 18 months with a long rich history gone. It just goes to show how close we were ourselves and thankfully the Reedtz Brothers saved us. We owe so much gratitude to those two.

Football does need to take a long hard look at itself and especially more so in these Covid 19 times because sadly I foresee more clubs will follow the path of Bury and Macclesfield.

If clubs outgoings are more than the income then unless they have custodians who are prepared to pay the shortfall the debt grows and grows and they will always be in a perilous position. It’s the basic rule of managing finances. That is why the custodians need to be held more accountable that let clubs get in a financial mess.

With no fans being in football grounds for six months now in the lower leagues this should be a reality check for some clubs if they are to survive both short and long term.
    The basic rule of managing finances you say - all it is, is someone with a deep pocket keep paying the shortfall. Unless it's a gift to the club, then the debt is still growing - just to a different creditor.

I don't think they will be the last either. All the money flashing around in the premier league as well.

The NL should bring up Boston to get back to 24 teams there is still time to do it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast