+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Macclesfield get yet another 7 days

Macclesfield get yet another 7 days

Macclesfield have been given a further seven-day extension to a winding-up petition over unpaid tax to allow a takeover of the club to go through.

The club was given a 12th adjournment by the High Court after claiming a takeover was at "an advanced stage".

The potential buyer was named as Robert Benwell, who previously made a bid to take over Bury in December.

The court was told that HM Revenue & Customs is owed a sum of £188,721.09, with eight creditors owed £592,000.

Macclesfield were previously granted an adjournment in June after a delay to the case due to the coronavirus.

On Wednesday, they initially requested a 28-day extension to allow the final stages of the Benwell deal to go through.

The court was also told that if the sale of the club does not go though, the outstanding debts would be paid off by current owner Amar Alkadhi.

However, the shorter extension was eventually granted by the court in order for the Silkmen to provide evidence that there is an ability to pay what is owed

Alkadhi stepped down as chairman last month and said he was committed to selling his controlling stake in the club.

A week later, Macclesfield were relegated from the English Football League after the league won an appeal against a points deduction handed to the club.

Macclesfield kick off their National League campaign against Bromley on 3 October, having appointed former England goalkeeper Tim Flowers as their manager on 28 August.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54088646

Not sure as a club with our history we are in any position to judge others when it comes to financial matters such as this.

I hope they survive, as I would for any club in difficulty. As football fans we shouldn't think anything other.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I hope they survive, as I would for any club in difficulty. As football fans we shouldn't think anything other.
    Agreed. How many seasons have Macc been in this mess? 2, 3? Most prob the reason the EFL were so keen to offload them? Looks like they owe in the region of a Mill, not a huge amount for a footy club.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Agreed. How many seasons have Macc been in this mess? 2, 3? Most prob the reason the EFL were so keen to offload them? Looks like they owe in the region of a Mill, not a huge amount for a footy club.

Bloody Hell!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54177582

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Didn't their owner last week say he'd pay the bills if the takeover didn't take place? Need to start handing out prison sentences

They've gone now

Quote Originally Posted by ivansneck View Post
    They've gone now
    I think they still have five days to appeal and sort it out. Doesn't seem very likely though. Terrible for their fans. But for the grace of Danes...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    I think they still have five days to appeal and sort it out. Doesn't seem very likely though. Terrible for their fans. But for the grace of Danes...
    The article doesn't say anything about five days.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    The article doesn't say anything about five days.
    I believe it is a standard proviso. But I am not an expert in insolvency.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast