+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Macclesfield get yet another 7 days

We've been close to going under numerous times, but I don't think anybody did more damage in the long term than Albert Scardino - who I've just realised arrived at the club 20 years ago this month. We're still suffering to this day as a result of his 'running' of the club, it's never felt the same since.

The BBC article detialing the takeover at the time is still online....
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...nty/913042.stm

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    We've been close to going under numerous times, but I don't think anybody did more damage in the long term than Albert Scardino - who I've just realised arrived at the club 20 years ago this month. We're still suffering to this day as a result of his 'running' of the club, it's never felt the same since.

The BBC article detialing the takeover at the time is still online....
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...nty/913042.stm
    It's amazing how ambitious new owners can sound when they take over and how quickly that can turn sour.

The new owners have set their sights on making County the top club in the city and have given their backing to current manager Jocky Scott.

He (Scardino) said: "I have provided funds to cover any deficits that may occur over the next few years, and there will be access to more if it is necessary."

While promising to continue to develop the club's highly-regarded youth development programme, the new owners have lofty ambitions.

Storrie said: : "It's not impossible - because nothing is impossible - for this club to reach the Premiership. It will take time, because it's crucial to build a framework and develop things properly."

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    It's amazing how ambitious new owners can sound when they take over and how quickly that can turn sour.

The new owners have set their sights on making County the top club in the city and have given their backing to current manager Jocky Scott.

He (Scardino) said: "I have provided funds to cover any deficits that may occur over the next few years, and there will be access to more if it is necessary."

While promising to continue to develop the club's highly-regarded youth development programme, the new owners have lofty ambitions.

Storrie said: : "It's not impossible - because nothing is impossible - for this club to reach the Premiership. It will take time, because it's crucial to build a framework and develop things properly."
    This is why the approach from the current owners is so refreshing.

Scardino wasn't necessarily the problem, Storrie was. How many clubs has Storrie taken down now? Certainly us and Portsmouth, sure there was another as well? We were also screwed over by GE recalling finance deals after the terror attacks on September 11 if I remember correctly. Scardino had good intentions, he was badly advised

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Scardino wasn't necessarily the problem, Storrie was. How many clubs has Storrie taken down now? Certainly us and Portsmouth, sure there was another as well? We were also screwed over by GE recalling finance deals after the terror attacks on September 11 if I remember correctly. Scardino had good intentions, he was badly advised
    Most chairman of football clubs have good intentions but it doesn't make up for being clueless, which he certainly was. There's a strong argument to be made for us having had worse owners since, but Scardino set the ball rolling in the wrong direction.

We don't know how the current owners will turn out - but one thing is for sure, they are of a very different type from what we've seen before.

And this why the often repeated old line of "well he financially backed the managers fully" should fall on deaf ears. Fans need to see the bigger picture, many a chairman promise lots and delivers little, other promise lots, provide and deliver lots, that they can't afford.

In both instances it's very detrimental to club in medium to long term. That is why to me the new owners approach is so welcome and refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    This is why the approach from the current owners is so refreshing.
    Similar turns of phrase were used for RT "breath of fresh air" and AH "breath of fresh air". Not criticising the Reedtz bros - just would rather see how things pan out after a season or three. We sure would be in deep doodah without them agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Similar turns of phrase were used for RT "breath of fresh air" and AH "breath of fresh air". Not criticising the Reedtz bros - just would rather see how things pan out after a season or three. We sure would be in deep doodah without them agreed.
    Agreed. There's rumours of a rich Dad, but then again there's always rumours. Tho they have my eternal thanx for saving us from the deep doo-doo, let's see how it goes before we start celebrating.

Wonder where we'd be now if we'd have scratched together another 5 points?

https://www.thenonleaguefootballpape...-pl-near-miss/

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Wonder where we'd be now if we'd have scratched together another 5 points?

https://www.thenonleaguefootballpape...-pl-near-miss/

Would have been nice to be able to say we were inaugural members of the Premier League but there's no guarantee it would have made much of a difference in the long term. Bradford City had a couple of seasons in it and have struggled ever since, look at Oldham now - who went up with us and lasted three seasons. If I could wave a magic wand, go back in time and guarantee a five match winning streak, there'd be other seasons I'd want to think about first. 1975/76 might be the obvious one. For purely selfish reasons (because of the age I was at the time) I'd have loved to have seen us stay in the top two divisions in 1985. Relegation from the top flight was inevitable but we could have done alright under Sirrel again in tier 2.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast