+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charlton

So Offord starts. Under normal circumstances I'd be expecting that but he hasn't played for a while.

No need to worry in the end as Offord looked like he'd never been away.
    Best things: Mandron was involved a lot in all the good things; Kirk played well despite making a few bad decisions.
    Worrying things: Wintle seemingly off the pace; Pixie not his best. Finney ineffective; Ainley and Zanzala didn't make any impact as subs.

Pretty much spot on, gazan. I thought Mandron would have won MotM had there been one, looked strong, held it up well - bit slow but then Ports is hardly Usain Bolt! We could have done with our midfielders getting a bit closer to him at times, but I guess that’s more likely to happen when Lowery plays.

Wintle was not at his best either, although he improved when Murohy went off - I don’t see the point of pushing Wintle more forward than usual to accommodate Luke, who tired noticeably after a decent first half. Kirk (and Dale) tried hard and weren’t afraid to take their man on but, as you said, both guilty of poor decision making. Subs did nowt.

Defensively Offord and Pixie badly exposed for the first and what was Perry doing for the second? Challenged Washington in the air then just stood there, with his arm in the air like a schoolboy wanting the toilet - very disappointing.

Still, we were far from outclassed and the performance was better than the first game last season! Keep the faith!!!

I am surprised that DA thought our performance was acceptable. Realise that it was the 1st game of a new season in a new league, but I felt that we were sloppy, lacked movement and our passing was woeful. Not in any way the smooth precision game you now expect from the Alex. Probably one of the easiest games Charlton will have this season.

MOM had to be Beccles who worked tirelessly with little support from his partner. Mandron in the first half put in a real shift and was strong and impressive. However he had little support. Thought Ng, Pickering, Wintle. Dale, and Kirk tried hard but also lacked support.

As for Finney, Murphy, and Offord most definitely not their day. Finney`s performance can be described in one word, dreadful. Murphy in the first half struggled and failed to get involved. Slight improvement in the second half and then tired. Offord lacked movement, seems to struggle in reading opponents movement, and never linked with Pickering or Wintle. Appreciate he is young and considered a good prospect but on the games I have seen is not ready for League1.

Feel that Lancashire or Sass-Davies would have been better choice. When Lancashire is injury free he is a strong, efficient, and reliable CB and would have been a better partner for Beccles. Same applies for Sass-Davies. His movement and reading of the game is better, and his passing is excellent.

Does anyone have an update on injuries especially Porter, Powell, and Daniels. Also Lowery who had very little game time in pre-season. Is he injured?

In the commentary they mentioned Porter, Lowery and Daniels as being injured. However, Powell was not mentioned and hasn't been for a week or so. Does he exist?
    Also Lukcour, I didn't think Offord looked that bad, not brilliant but coped okay. As for Lancashire or Sass-Davies playing alongside Beckles, I'm not sure that fits. Beckles is very calm but I don't yet know how mobile he is. Therefore he has to be balanced with a player like Offord or Nolan. Nolan seems to need to shift the pounds at the moment, so maybe Offord picks himself.
    RS commentary seemed to think Perry was best player but he had an awful first 15 mins not finding a red shirt with his passes. In fact passing was THE problem in the team. Dale can do some great things but finds it difficult to pass the ball 5 yards.

Powell is now running. Er ....flat out or not? Will find out later this week.
    Daniels in the same situation. Would this affect above discussion re: Offord???

From the update sounds like most of the injured are about a month away fro playing. Sorry Gazan, but I am failing to be impressed with Offord. A good prospect yes, but nowhere near ready.

Okay, we will have to agree to disagree on that one.
    However, in terms of balance i.e. strength/height and football ability/nous, who would you have accompanying Beckles. (Would you have Beckles?)

Beccles was good on Saturday. Ideally my choice would be Nolan as he links so well with Pickering and Wintle. Last season our best football came from our left side and accounted for Kirk having most assists in league2. This. Saturday I would probably go with Beccles and Lancashire. When he is injury free he is strong and dependable.

In my head I am toying with the idea of giving Sass-Davies a run in the midfield for the under 23 side

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12