+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Smart Alec Lawyers

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    That surely applies to the EU as well?

The EU is insisting on two red lines, that is fisheries and the state aid/level playing field before they will talk about anything else.

"That is not really using best endeavours and certainly not in my view negotiating in good faith.

"Furthermore it manifestly does not respect British sovereignty because it is seeking to impose EU regulations on the UK by effectively leaving the UK to be subject to EU regulations by virtue of the level playing field.

"And it also wants the UK state aid policy to be subject to EU direction.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...ewApp_AppShare
    One is about negotiation, the other is about not keeping an agreement.

What is the point in making an agreement then not abiding by it?

Minister stands up and says, yes, we are going to break international law.

Then again, Cummings does seem to turn a blind eye (or rather has a drive to a beauty spot to make sure he doesn't have one).

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    One is about negotiation, the other is about not keeping an agreement.

What is the point in making an agreement then not abiding by it?

Minister stands up and says, yes, we are going to break international law.

Then again, Cummings does seem to turn a blind eye (or rather has a drive to a beauty spot to make sure he doesn't have one).
    I would argue that negotiating in good faith IS a part of the agreement as it clearly is.

The report, authored by among others, Tory MP Bill Cash, DUP MP Sammy Wilson, Martin Howe QC and Barnabas Reynolds, a partner Partner in top City law firm Shearman & Sterling, argues the EU has slipped up by not adhering to Article 184 of the agreement, which requires both sides to use their "best endeavours" to negotiate a deal.
    Last edited by countygump; 11-09-2020 at 09:28 AM.

The mental gymnastics that have to be played by Brexiteers in order to justify this governments willingness to break international law and to forget Johnsons 'oven-ready' Brexit deal that was a cornerstone of the Tory 80 seat-majority is staggering and really quite sad.

The Prime Minister outright lying to the country in manifesto pledges and regularly in press conferences is being normalised and there are sections of society cheering this degradation on.

This does not end well for the UK.

There is no honour among these thieves. This is the most unprincipled bunch of incompetent shysters and liars it has been my displeasure to be governed by.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    The mental gymnastics that have to be played by Brexiteers in order to justify this governments willingness to break international law and to forget Johnsons 'oven-ready' Brexit deal that was a cornerstone of the Tory 80 seat-majority is staggering and really quite sad.

The Prime Minister outright lying to the country in manifesto pledges and regularly in press conferences is being normalised and there are sections of society cheering this degradation on.

This does not end well for the UK.
    I predict the whole Brexit thing will be of as much interest to psychologists as it will be to historians.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... is it more important to uphold 'international law' or to show some enlightened self interest? So far ,I'm unconvinced that any country takes any notice of international law's - Russia, China, USA - (pick any topic you like). So our tweaking of the Withdrawal Agreement re Northern Ireland seems only to have upset the EU (because it gives them an edge under certain circumstances) and the woke Remoaners who choose to be offended. I bet most havn't read the so-called offending sections (clauses 41 - 43, etc). I'm really surprised that no one has used the phrase 'perfidious albion' yet! So, would be lawyers, why shouldn't we look after ourselves. Don't try telling me it's about trust and all that mother jazz ...
    I think it has upset the Tories own creed. Even assholes think you're out of order.

Among other senior Conservative figures who have also come out strongly against the bill’s proposed powers is the former party leader Michael Howard, who said it was “a very sad day last week when the Northern Ireland secretary, Brandon Lewis, admitted that amending the UK’s Brexit deal with the EU will break international law”.

“I never thought it was a thing I’d hear a British minister, far less a Conservative minister, say, which is that the government was going to invite parliament to act in breach of international law,” Howard told Sky News.

“We have a reputation for probity, for upholding the rule of law, and it’s a reputation that is very precious and ought to be safeguarded, and I am afraid it was severely damaged by what was said on Tuesday and by the bill which is currently before parliament.”

... hypocrites all. Seem to recall Uncle Tone Bliar and his wretched mob performed backward somersaults over Iraq ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... hypocrites all. Seem to recall Uncle Tone Bliar and his wretched mob performed backward somersaults over Iraq ...
    That ended well.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I think it has upset the Tories own creed. Even assholes think you're out of order.

Among other senior Conservative figures who have also come out strongly against the bill’s proposed powers is the former party leader Michael Howard, who said it was “a very sad day last week when the Northern Ireland secretary, Brandon Lewis, admitted that amending the UK’s Brexit deal with the EU will break international law”.

“I never thought it was a thing I’d hear a British minister, far less a Conservative minister, say, which is that the government was going to invite parliament to act in breach of international law,” Howard told Sky News.

“We have a reputation for probity, for upholding the rule of law, and it’s a reputation that is very precious and ought to be safeguarded, and I am afraid it was severely damaged by what was said on Tuesday and by the bill which is currently before parliament.”
    Dominic Cummings set the bar when he was asked by reporters that even if he was within the law, what did it look like.

His answer - 'I don't care what it looks like'.

I would argue that the reporters were totally wrong with their lack of social distancing etc, but 'I don't care' revealed his attitude. That was quickly followed by the ludicrous 'testing my eyesight'. Had Boris had the bottle to get rid, things may have been different.

As an individual, if you dont go into bat for yourself, you are in big trouble, so it is in politics. Not to anticipate the future and account for that now is a stroke of genius.

If someone, or a country has a hold over you, do you think they wont use it?

10 out of ten Boris.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast