Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
Champs, are you serious?
We've been in much worse situations than this.
I would say we are two players short of a squad that could (not will) challenge for a play-off place.
Brereton and Gallagher have not repaid their fees yet, but both have showed much more promise recently.
We now have a squad which indicates the Academy paying off in a big way.
I think both Rankin-Costello and Buckley could become big-name players.
In front of the defence, we have loads of options, including numerous, exciting, attack-minded players.
We all know we need an experienced centre-back, but I am actually okay with Williams playing, because his positional sense compensates for his lesser qualities, and he actually distributes the ball better than Lenihan. In any case, the window is open for another month.
I am still uneasy about Bell, and we clearly need another player to at least cover his position. There is also talk about a second keeper. Fair enough, but that's probably someone to spend most of the year sitting on the bench.
We were in a transition-situation last season, and we were without Dack for most of it, but we were still the fifth highest scorers in the League. Defensively, we were 12th of 24 for goals conceded, so even there, things weren't as dire as most fans suggest.
I just can't see where all the gloom is coming from.
Realistically, we are a Championship club these days - with limited resources. The market is a shambles at the moment, with PL clubs getting even more advantages than usual.
On top of that, agents are being allowed to rule the roost.
You forecast a possible 10th place, as if it's the end of the world. I just don't get that. We have no automatic right to a promotion-spot.
I'm quite excited by the Bournemouth game, as it will be a good benchmark, but if we lose, I won't be in despair.
I can quite see us being win-one/draw-one/lose-one again this season, and I can't say that I am particularly bothered by that. We'd prefer consistency, obviously, but how many teams WERE consistent last season? It is simply a very even division.
At this stage, I'd go for Brentford to win it, so they'll probably finish 9th!

I'm deadly serious. they are absolutely ****e. Woeful at the end of the season, relegation form. They bring that relegation form into this season. They have signed one player Aucks. A nobody keeper who will be average at best.

They are so far away from finishing in the top 9 its funny. They will be in a relegation fight, I will tell you that now. The defence is pathetic. Still hasnt been sorted. And with players like Johnson, they are going absolutely nowhere. Brereton may look better than his pathetic best so far, but I will tell you now both him and SG are not going to do anything.

1-0 down already to a ****e side. Get used to it, this is the season ahead. One signing, no money, woefully poor defence. A tough season ahead. Glad I am not having to endure a poor game, playing a poor side, and still managing to lose. This was almost every game after lockdown.