+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Sports news on a sports news channel

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

O/T Sports news on a sports news channel

Having flicked on the TV about 15 minutes ago I remembered that the England squad was being announced today. Nothing else of interest going on so I though I'd go have a look even though I'm not the biggest international fan by any stretch. Anyway, as I put on SkySports News the England team is going through on the right hand side of the screen whilst a reporter is asking a couple of Man Utd fans about their chances tomorrow in the Europa League final as the main piece. I notice during the middle that there is a bit on George Floyd and I half look but I'm too busy looking back at the squad to really pay attention. I get to the end of the squad and a couple of bits afterwards about friendlies and group games and the scrolling news isn't doing just that. It is an endless loop of George Floyd and race stories from various sports.

I wait as the reporter finishes with the two supporters and anticipate, reflection on the squad or any sporting news? Nope. Another, complete piece about race and racism? Yep.

I watch it all and it goes to a break but I can't help feeling that I've just wasted my time as I was seeking sports news. I'm not downplaying the importance of combating racism but I can't help feeling less inclined to go back as it feels incessant now.

Do you think there is a real risk of many football / sporting fans simply finding alternative sources for their primary wish? (Somewhere that just tells you the information you're seeking. As in a sports website / channel focusing on just that). Or perhaps I'm an ignorant white man who is turning a blind eye to racism.

I don't make this post with the intention of it being political. I think you can ask the question of a sports news channel on this topic without it being considered political. I'm curious as I think more and more people are switching off from the media because of reasons like this. I can't help feeling like they know people will be switching on during this time to hear about the squad and are using that to appear at the forefront of change when it just suits their agenda to appear to be.
    Last edited by MillersTime; 25-05-2021 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo