+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Sports news on a sports news channel

O/T Sports news on a sports news channel

Having flicked on the TV about 15 minutes ago I remembered that the England squad was being announced today. Nothing else of interest going on so I though I'd go have a look even though I'm not the biggest international fan by any stretch. Anyway, as I put on SkySports News the England team is going through on the right hand side of the screen whilst a reporter is asking a couple of Man Utd fans about their chances tomorrow in the Europa League final as the main piece. I notice during the middle that there is a bit on George Floyd and I half look but I'm too busy looking back at the squad to really pay attention. I get to the end of the squad and a couple of bits afterwards about friendlies and group games and the scrolling news isn't doing just that. It is an endless loop of George Floyd and race stories from various sports.

I wait as the reporter finishes with the two supporters and anticipate, reflection on the squad or any sporting news? Nope. Another, complete piece about race and racism? Yep.

I watch it all and it goes to a break but I can't help feeling that I've just wasted my time as I was seeking sports news. I'm not downplaying the importance of combating racism but I can't help feeling less inclined to go back as it feels incessant now.

Do you think there is a real risk of many football / sporting fans simply finding alternative sources for their primary wish? (Somewhere that just tells you the information you're seeking. As in a sports website / channel focusing on just that). Or perhaps I'm an ignorant white man who is turning a blind eye to racism.

I don't make this post with the intention of it being political. I think you can ask the question of a sports news channel on this topic without it being considered political. I'm curious as I think more and more people are switching off from the media because of reasons like this. I can't help feeling like they know people will be switching on during this time to hear about the squad and are using that to appear at the forefront of change when it just suits their agenda to appear to be.
    Last edited by MillersTime; 25-05-2021 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo

American corporations like Comcast which owns Sky have adopted Critical Race Theory as their new religion.

Wall Street in general started pushing it in 2013 to take pressure off themselves as the Occupy movement was gaining ground.

Maybe GB News which starts later this week will have a sports channel eventually, and actually make it about sport?

Currently on here in the US and all the talk is about the England squad with just an occasional banner across the bottom about the GF/racism. Say's it's 5:14pm so it must be a live feed of Sky Sports News.

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    Having flicked on the TV about 15 minutes ago I remembered that the England squad was being announced today. Nothing else of interest going on so I though I'd go have a look even though I'm not the biggest international fan by any stretch. Anyway, as I put on SkySports News the England team is going through on the right hand side of the screen whilst a reporter is asking a couple of Man Utd fans about their chances tomorrow in the Europa League final as the main piece. I notice during the middle that there is a bit on George Floyd and I half look but I'm too busy looking back at the squad to really pay attention. I get to the end of the squad and a couple of bits afterwards about friendlies and group games and the scrolling news isn't doing just that. It is an endless loop of George Floyd and race stories from various sports.

I wait as the reporter finishes with the two supporters and anticipate, reflection on the squad or any sporting news? Nope. Another, complete piece about race and racism? Yep.

I watch it all and it goes to a break but I can't help feeling that I've just wasted my time as I was seeking sports news. I'm not downplaying the importance of combating racism but I can't help feeling less inclined to go back as it feels incessant now.

Do you think there is a real risk of many football / sporting fans simply finding alternative sources for their primary wish? (Somewhere that just tells you the information you're seeking. As in a sports website / channel focusing on just that). Or perhaps I'm an ignorant white man who is turning a blind eye to racism.

I don't make this post with the intention of it being political. I think you can ask the question of a sports news channel on this topic without it being considered political. I'm curious as I think more and more people are switching off from the media because of reasons like this. I can't help feeling like they know people will be switching on during this time to hear about the squad and are using that to appear at the forefront of change when it just suits their agenda to appear to be.
    I think if it's making normal sports fans who have no problem previously with sports promoting anti-racism feel like it is being force fed then clearly it is being pushed too far and becoming counter productive. Which would be a big shame as if used selectively and intelligently, sports can be a huge asset for positive change or challenging on attitudes. But what you describe sounds rubbish!

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Currently on here in the US and all the talk is about the England squad with just an occasional banner across the bottom about the GF/racism. Say's it's 5:14pm so it must be a live feed of Sky Sports News.
    I have just gone back on and it has indeed changed entirely. Perhaps I dozed off and had a very bizarre dream. Alternatively I switched on during a very dedicated time of the day where they were focusing on that issue. Or Sky have read my post and decided to change immediately. Obviously the last of those options...

Then again, I'm not the sharpest, I only just spotted Camilla in your picture and it took me a moment too long to work out why you had that.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    I think if it's making normal sports fans who have no problem previously with sports promoting anti-racism feel like it is being force fed then clearly it is being pushed too far and becoming counter productive. Which would be a big shame as if used selectively and intelligently, sports can be a huge asset for positive change or challenging on attitudes. But what you describe sounds rubbish!
    But it is so hard to voice those concerns without an underlying presumption that you are anti whatever the message may be. It isn't about the race issue, that's just an example. Such a fine balance between informing and educating without bombardment.

I have just gone back on and it has indeed changed entirely. Perhaps I dozed off and had a very bizarre dream. Alternatively I switched on during a very dedicated time of the day where they were focusing on that issue. Or Sky have read my post and decided to change immediately. Obviously the last of those options...

Then again, I'm not the sharpest, I only just spotted Camilla in your picture and it took me a moment too long to work out why you had that.
    It's usually on a loop so it looks like what you saw is about to come around again. Same on the US networks with ESPN intermingling sports news with articles about the 1Y anniversary of GF's death and how/if sport has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    It's usually on a loop so it looks like what you saw is about to come around again. Same on the US networks with ESPN intermingling sports news with articles about the 1Y anniversary of GF's death and how/if sport has changed.
    Ahhh I see

Ahhh I see
    Yes - back around and on now so it wasn't a dream

Anything been said about the black female activist shot in the head by 4 Black men.No protests or riots then.Thank feck she wasn’t shot by 4 white men.It’s time they practiced what they preach.Hope she’s ok tho.
    Last edited by Lolmorgan; 26-05-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast