+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 0/T Boxing news - Joshua and Whyte

0/T Boxing news - Joshua and Whyte

For those of us who follow boxing, here's the latest news from the Joshua and Whyte camps.

Anthony Joshua

Anthony Joshua's world heavyweight fight against mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev will not be postponed again, even if it has to be held behind closed doors, says Eddie Hearn.
    The pair will potentially meet on 12 December at London's O2 Arena, having originally been scheduled to fight in June at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Promoter Hearn said sport "can't afford to sit and wait for what might be".
    Britain's Joshua, 30, last fought in December when he beat Andy Ruiz Jr.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden will meet sports bodies on Wednesday to discuss allowing 1,000 fans into events, which could pave the way for fans to attend boxing matches.
    Hearn told BBC Radio 5 Live: "Every sport is in trouble without fans. We have got to do what is right. We have got to listen to the government but we have got to try and make sure we can bring them back.

"Hopefully this is the next phase of doing that and the venues will be dependent on whether fans will be allowed back into the arenas."

Bulgarian Pulev, 39, is mandatory challenger to Joshua's IBF belt, with the Briton also holding the WBA, WBO and IBO world titles.Hearn added: "Anthony hasn't boxed for a year and the ultimate thing is he needs to progress his career. He wants to learn, he wants to fight, he wants to be active and we live in a world now where you can't wait.

"You've got two options: you either sit and wait - and that includes Anthony Joshua - maybe until next year, or you get out there and you fight, you earn your money, you learn your craft and you continue to battle through it.

"We hope that there is some sunshine over the hill with this whole nightmare.

"We are not prepared to sit tight and wait and we have said in these schedules, fans or no fans, our fights will be taking place.

"If you're a business, if you're a sport, you can't afford to sit and wait for what might be."

Dillian Whyte:

Dillian Whyte will have an immediate opportunity to claim back the World Boxing Council's mandatory heavyweight status in a rematch with Alexander Povetkin on November 21 after his knockout defeat to the Russian in Brentwood last month as Eddie Hearn on Tuesday announced newly-scheduled events throughout October and November.

Can't see Whyte making the same mistake again when they meet up.

Hope Joshua gets his head knocked off.

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    Might I ask why? Always seems a nice amenable bloke, especially out of the ring. Not at all a big mouth Deyonte Wider type. Now if he was a gob on a stick like him I’d probably agree.

I like Joshua but his comments about black peoples buying from black shopkeepers, during the BLM demonstrations, was a bit “strange” and controversial

Quote Originally Posted by Gainsbro_Miller View Post
    I like Joshua but his comments about black peoples buying from black shopkeepers, during the BLM demonstrations, was a bit “strange” and controversial
    Gainsbro, you’re wrong there, he rather stupidly, before reading the script, just blurted it out before the damage was done. It was written by a certain Kevin Campbell and simply passed to him to shout out over a megaphone before realising its contents.

You won’t see that happening again from him.

The contents went on to say, don’t buy from white people, spend your money in black stores. If that’s not rasict what is?

I truly believe Joshua when he said he wasn’t rasict and challenged anyone to confront him otherwise.
    Last edited by Brin; 16-09-2020 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Gainsbro, you’re wrong there, he rather stupidly, before reading the script, just blurted it out before the damage was done. It was written by a certain Kevin Campbell and simply passed to him to shout out over a megaphone before realising its contents.

The contents went on to say, don’t buy from white people, spend your money in black stores. If that’s not rasict what is?

I truly believe Joshua when he said he wasn’t rasict and challenged anyone to confront him otherwise.
    He turns up at a protest and reads from a script? Definitely a stunt then or was that script part just an excuse after the backlash he received?
    I also hope he gets his head knocked off
    Last edited by millertop; 17-09-2020 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    Be nice to see Fury do it to him

Might I ask why? Always seems a nice amenable bloke, especially out of the ring. Not at all a big mouth Deyonte Wider type. Now if he was a gob on a stick like him I’d probably agree.
    like you I thought he seemed a likeable fella. But I changed my opinion of him when he read from that piece of paper on the BLM protest. He's an international sports figure and surely should have proof read it first, or maybe he did and read it anyway. Perhaps he got caught up in the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Be nice to see Fury do it to him
    Wilder would knock AJ out.

Tyson schooled Wilder.

Tyson v AJ, we know what happens there!! Easy work for Fury.

In terms of AJ as a person, he's been very well marketed and was taught how to act in front of the camera. Its served himwell as he's earned a fortune.

Just goes to show its not always black and white.