+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The mounting injury list

The mounting injury list

Dack - now suffered a slight strain and is though to now be another month behind. I dont think we will be seeing him until around xmas time.
    Evans - out for 2 weeks with a bruised foot.
    Gallagher - still unfit with a slight strain.
    Johnson - just returned the full training, the one player we really could do without.
    Travis is out for at least 3 months. Despite various reports, saying its 8-10 weeks, its not!
    Malgiorie - out injured
    Grayson - out injured.

We have only been playing 2 weeks, bit disappointing again. Most of these lads haven't actually kicked a ball either, but are still injured? Some obviously can't be helped. Travis flew into a challenge the other night that I felt he did not have to do. It was beyond stupid. Dack, when you have been out so long, you will always pick up other knocks that will add to the time you are laid out, hence I am still perplexed why people are pinning their hopes on his return. It will be delayed, and I am still very unsure he will be the same player. Its a huge ask.
    The rest, seem to move from small injury to small injury, and we kind of need them.

The good news is, we are about to make a move to get this midfielder from Man Utd who sounds useful. And I feel we desperately need another decent player in that CM position.

The injury to Travis is a real blow.
    As for Johnson, Champs, I think you and I see him differently from some fans.
    I see that he was given an excellent rating by Rovers Chat after the last game.
    My grievance is his inconsistency. He has played well in patches, but he doesn't always get in the game like Travis does.
    It looks as if Holtby, Johnson and Buckley might be the midfield three against Wycombe, so we are going to have to play the high press again.
    If this situation continues, we might have to put Bennett in midfield in away games, and play 4-4-2. I actually think Bennett is the best one we have for covering Nyambe's runs - with Travis out. Mowbray doesn't like 4-4-2, though.

I have no real issue if he decided to play Bennett in Midfield. I am not sure he is any worse than Johnson being honest. And he had experience. I do feel he will cover his defenders better and may be better for the balance of the side. I think I would play JRC in midfield over Buckley tomorrow. Dolan or Chapman can play up front alongside Brereton & Armstrong. You would think Davenport would get in now? But I am unsure about him overall.

The high press is a good tactic. But you have be so well drilled for it to work effectively. Even if one player decides they aren't going to work as hard as the rest of the 10 outfield players, it starts to come apart. Plus it is talked about like its something new. when we had Sutton & Shearer, quite often they where our first line of defence. Often our best defenders.
    Without being too ver-critical, tat is one of the reasons I feel we are not quite there yet. As I don't think we are that well drilled, and that does take time. If they stick at it, eventually it will all click and I do feel that's the best way forward.
    But everyone has to buy into it. For me, there are 8/9 doing it, with a few not. Which is where it starts to fail.
    Fair play though, they have slightly changed tactic and that can take time to bed in.

Tomorrow I would go with Johnson, Holby and JRC in the 3 in midfield.

To be honest, Champs, I would have J. R-C. in as well as Buckley.
    So the starting XI would be:
    Kaminski
    Nyambe Lenihan Williams Bell
    Johnson Holtby Buckley
    Rankin-Costello Brereton Arrmstrong.
    (I'm assuming Ayala will be given another week).
    It is a team that is high in attacking potential, but much weaker in defensive terms. That's why I thought the high press was essential.
    We really do need an early goal. I think we would then be more relaxed and confident.
    Of course, Travis's injury could also be the break Davenport needs. I get the impression, though, that Mowbray is lukewarm about him.
    I'd love Brereton to get a couple. It would do him the world of good, although - to be frank - I still don't think he looks like a No.9.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)