+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A few concerns

A few concerns

Not trying to be negative but a few things are on my mind. Not in order of importance..

Liam Smith - why are the club completely silent on his injury progress? The club should be keeping the fans updated about stuff like this and they're not. They did the same with Lawrence Shankland which only caused uncertainty and speculation on fan forums.

Mark Ogren - as far as I'm aware we've heard nothing from our owner for some time. Maybe nothing to worry about but you would have thought he might want to update fans about where the club is overall and importantly to let the fans know if the manager has a budget to add new players.

The manager - he definitely got improved performance from the players involved in the first few games, especially at Ross County, where the passing, possession and chance creation was better, but the last couple of games we have looked like a Neilson team again. I know he's had a couple of injuries to contend with but that shouldn't affect the overall quality of performance. If we continue with that level of performance in the next 5 or 6 games we're going to be in trouble.
    His post match interview at Ibrox sounded like a man who now realises he has nowhere near the quality to compete where he wants to, and realises he needs to add quality. But is he going to get it?

I'm still positive overall but these wee things have been nagging at me. Hopefully by 5pm Saturday they won't be nagging so much.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Not trying to be negative but a few things are on my mind. Not in order of importance..

Liam Smith - why are the club completely silent on his injury progress? The club should be keeping the fans updated about stuff like this and they're not. They did the same with Lawrence Shankland which only caused uncertainty and speculation on fan forums.

Mark Ogren - as far as I'm aware we've heard nothing from our owner for some time. Maybe nothing to worry about but you would have thought he might want to update fans about where the club is overall and importantly to let the fans know if the manager has a budget to add new players.

The manager - he definitely got improved performance from the players involved in the first few games, especially at Ross County, where the passing, possession and chance creation was better, but the last couple of games we have looked like a Neilson team again. I know he's had a couple of injuries to contend with but that shouldn't affect the overall quality of performance. If we continue with that level of performance in the next 5 or 6 games we're going to be in trouble.
    His post match interview at Ibrox sounded like a man who now realises he has nowhere near the quality to compete where he wants to, and realises he needs to add quality. But is he going to get it?

I'm still positive overall but these wee things have been nagging at me. Hopefully by 5pm Saturday they won't be nagging so much.
    Agree assuming Norwood deal is completely dead now given what he is being paid and that wages cap in the division coming in cant see how that would ever have happened. Seems odd to have pursued that and Safranko, not like either player so keen to leave theyre about to slap in transfer requests to take a lower wage....

Cant help feeling we would get a bit more out of a No. 10 like Cammy Smith or Declan Glass, but now we hae Hoti as well who seems to be another No. 10.

Fans not in the ground is bound to be an issue cash flow-wise. Would be interested how the pay per view uptake has been and no need to pay for stewards security or police at Celtic game for example

Sow played as trialist, Dundee allegedly after Ciftci and no real rumours doesnt fill fans with much hope. Silence on injuries too as you say. Be good to hear bit more from Big T

What i have found very surprising is the number of signings being made by other clubs who were telling anyone who would listen that the pandemic would lead to armageddon.That numpty that leads the Sheep kept banging on about a million pound a month losses but they have signed top quality players from the Old Firm.
    Hibs the same,telling us the end was nigh but then signing decent players and even spending big money on a transfer fee.I think your concerns are justified,we are miles behind the majority of Premiership clubs and unless our owner and his CEO accept that we may well be on a one season jolly in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    What i have found very surprising is the number of signings being made by other clubs who were telling anyone who would listen that the pandemic would lead to armageddon.That numpty that leads the Sheep kept banging on about a million pound a month losses but they have signed top quality players from the Old Firm.
    Hibs the same,telling us the end was nigh but then signing decent players and even spending big money on a transfer fee.I think your concerns are justified,we are miles behind the majority of Premiership clubs and unless our owner and his CEO accept that we may well be on a one season jolly in this league.
    That's a good point about other clubs signings but I'm sure Terry will defend the club on the basis that we didn't know which league we'd be in so didn't want to over commit on Premiership level players with the wages that go with it. But that's quite a few weeks now.

One thing is for sure if TA re signs Osman Sow he's going to suffer a major backlash from a lot of the fanbase. Hopefully there's nothing in it, but yet again the club have failed to communicate which in turn creates speculation on the message boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabiatta View Post
    Agree assuming Norwood deal is completely dead now given what he is being paid and that wages cap in the division coming in cant see how that would ever have happened. Seems odd to have pursued that and Safranko, not like either player so keen to leave theyre about to slap in transfer requests to take a lower wage....

Cant help feeling we would get a bit more out of a No. 10 like Cammy Smith or Declan Glass, but now we hae Hoti as well who seems to be another No. 10.

Fans not in the ground is bound to be an issue cash flow-wise. Would be interested how the pay per view uptake has been and no need to pay for stewards security or police at Celtic game for example

Sow played as trialist, Dundee allegedly after Ciftci and no real rumours doesnt fill fans with much hope. Silence on injuries too as you say. Be good to hear bit more from Big T
    Agree with a lot of that Arabiatta. I'm actually wondering if we're setting our sights high and finding that we either can't afford our targets or the targets don't want to come.

Not seen enough of Glass to know if he could be the answer but I disagree on Smith. We need a real quality midfielder who can bring Harkes along with him. We hear strikers getting linked via press leaks but not midfielders and it would worry me if we're not after one.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    That's a good point about other clubs signings but I'm sure Terry will defend the club on the basis that we didn't know which league we'd be in so didn't want to over commit on Premiership level players with the wages that go with it. But that's quite a few weeks now.
    What I'm saying is it has set us back, weeks. Which player was going to commit to us at that time? It's set us back and I think it's made us miss out too.

Hearts & Partick have just made their sixth and seventh signings respectively. There's something definitely not right which we are being kept in the dark about imo. Prior to Mellon coming in we were linked with Hayes & Nisbet. The Safranko rumour was going around before MM came in also. Now we have complete silence almost. We were all told the manager is not the type to go out and spend money on transfers so is this purely the case? And if so, is it actually holding us back? Or have the owners simply tightened the purse strings?

Or their is loads going on and the club are keeping quiet about it.

I guess we'll find out in two weeks time.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    What I'm saying is it has set us back, weeks. Which player was going to commit to us at that time? It's set us back and I think it's made us miss out too.
    TTT am not sure this cuts it anymore. the club shld have had a plan A and B Target wise depending on the outcome of the hearing. I agree with stoke The lack of communication from the club regarding player injuries. Clubs ambitions for signings etc is starting to get a bit concerning. MM repetition of there is nothing imminent on the signing front is becoming a bit wearing and if we sign Sow again be prepared for a complete meltdown.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)