+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big club mentality

Big club mentality

Thank goodness for our big club mentality which saw us win the penalty shoot-out, it's our attitude as a club which saw us through. We obviously felt we deserved to be in the third qualifying round of the Europa League. I'm sure everyone will be lining up to applaud our success tonight.

Aye, right.

Quote Originally Posted by jwok View Post
    Aye, right.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Thank goodness for our big club mentality which saw us win the penalty shoot-out, it's our attitude as a club which saw us through. We obviously felt we deserved to be in the third qualifying round of the Europa League. I'm sure everyone will be lining up to applaud our success tonight.
    I see what you did there.

Our penalty shootout record, and indeed penalty record in general, remains poor overall and I stand by what I said on here in February, that we lack bottle when it matters most and that's not just confined to penalties. I am absolutely convinced that we would not win a penalty shootout in a domestic cup match against a Hearts or Aberdeen etc Winning last night saved us from one of our most embarrassing results in history and we've got Trevor Carson to thank for that. When your goalkeeper saves three in a shootout you always have a more than 50/50 chance of winning and he prevented what had been a pretty dismal night from being a disastrous one.

Heh heh.

No argument we saved a debacle for sure but we'd all rather have that than a good performance and 'unlucky' exit.

Our shoot-out record is one-off being exactly 50-50 (and is actually bang level if you ignore the gimmick that is the LC group stage), I still don't know what scale you're using to classify that as poor rather than basically average...how many wins to losses would we need for a satisfactory record?

Kudos to our nerveless quintet showing off their big club mentality again. I pity poor Morton who will clearly never amount to anything in comparison to us with their small time attitude.

Our shoot-out record is now precisely 50-50 in terms of win/loss and in knock-out a dizzy 53% success rate. Glory surely awaits!

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Kudos to our nerveless quintet showing off their big club mentality again. I pity poor Morton who will clearly never amount to anything in comparison to us with their small time attitude.

Our shoot-out record is now precisely 50-50 in terms of win/loss and in knock-out a dizzy 53% success rate. Glory surely awaits!
    I've found something positive!! The last time we beat Morton in a Scottish Cup penalty shoot - out at Fir Park..........!

Quote Originally Posted by dazlhigh View Post
    I've found something positive!! The last time we beat Morton in a Scottish Cup penalty shoot - out at Fir Park..........!
    BUBBLE BUSTER ... Hibs will destroy us.

Well we won a shootout and thank God we did, as that would have been a truly embarrassing result had we failed, indeed it would have been up there with our worst ever Cup exits.

The main thing in Cup football is getting through and we’ve done that but that was a truly horrific performance. The formation was wrong, the length of time it took to get subs on was ridiculous and yet again we demonstrated that we lack quality and commitment from a large number of our squad. This summer will be massive for GA and us as a club.

We won’t get past Hibs in the Quarters, not a chance. Indeed, we would not win a penalty shootout against a club like Hibs, that is when we would show our small club mentality. Perhaps you could argue that that’s what happened with Morton last night but from our point of view, we do not possess the necessary bottle to win a penalty shootout against another top flight side, especially one of the bigger clubs.

I think the subs was just GA showing how little faith he has in the majority of the squad. Okay he could have rolled the dice but you wouldn't have backed any of them to make a difference - Hastie's cameo was better than expected but still pretty poor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)