+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: AFC Telford friendly...

AFC Telford friendly...

We face AFC Telford tomorrow and there's a free stream promised once again. They held Wrexham to a 0-0 draw last time out so will be interesting to see what pans out. I know they always say the score doesn't matter but I reckon 'a win is a win' and important psychologically.

It will be interesting to see whether Ardley continues his policy of giving all the players game time, or whether he will use this game as preparation for the Harrogate cup tie by selecting a preferred line up and keeping most or all of them on the pitch for 90 minutes or something approaching it.

I expect it will be the former option, but this will mean that none of the players who face Harrogate will have gone the full 90 minutes since Wembley.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    It will be interesting to see whether Ardley continues his policy of giving all the players game time, or whether he will use this game as preparation for the Harrogate cup tie by selecting a preferred line up and keeping most or all of them on the pitch for 90 minutes or something approaching it.

I expect it will be the former option, but this will mean that none of the players who face Harrogate will have gone the full 90 minutes since Wembley.
    Yeah, it’s a tough call for him really for the reasons you say. The best bet is probably to start with his favoured 11 for the first 60-70 minutes and then get minutes in the legs of the rest for the remainder.

So, strongest line up in the apparent new diamond formation?

Slocombe

Brindley
    Lacey
    Rawlo
    Chicksen

Doyle CDM
    Enzio LCM
    Roberts RCM
    Rodrigues ACM

Wootton
    Thomas

I must admit, I’m not sure the diamond gets the most out of our best players such as Roberts and Enzio in those positions as they will have much more defensive responsibility. But if they don’t play then we’d look rather defensive with O’Brien and Sloth in the diamond.

I guess a diamond can quickly become a 4-3-3 in attack if the players are intelligent enough.

Bet it will be a slow build up style of play again

Pep’s playing out from the back thing, a ubiquitous model in th UK thanks to Gareth. Sweeper keepers, Invisible Lines, Half-Spaces and Diamonds are Forever, a fragile system and an illusory model. Passing out (passing around mostly) from the back at all costs, with a keepers’ prime requisite to have the foot skills of at least a Tony Adams, a fatal flaw in the system. I think Howard Wilkinson started this chaos theory off with Notts County, he had a little success in the beginning with ‘Pedro Beckenbauer’ but the high press came and it was all figured out, fooled by randomness, a spurious correlation, It was a logical fallacy of the 'faulty generalisation' type. A conclusion about all or many instances of a a successful system that has been reached on the basis of just a few instances of success. A football team is a complex adaptive system with an objective to score more goals than the opponent, no different and not exempt from the universal laws of system theory.

[QUOTE=TSANHO;39577224]Yeah, it’s a tough call for him really for the reasons you say. The best bet is probably to start with his favoured 11 for the first 60-70 minutes and then get minutes in the legs of the rest for the remainder.

Slocombe

Brindley
    Lacey
    Rawlo
    Chicksen

Doyle CDM
    Enzio LCM
    Roberts RCM
    Rodrigues ACM

Wootton
    Thomas

I must admit, I’m not sure the diamond gets the most out of our best players such as Roberts and Enzio in those positions as they will have much more defensive responsibility. But if they don’t play then we’d look rather defensive with O’Brien and Sloth in the diamond.

I guess a diamond can quickly become a 4-3-3 in attack if the players are intelligent enough

No Jake Reeves? is he injured.

[QUOTE=Oldstripy;39577252]
    Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    Yeah, it’s a tough call for him really for the reasons you say. The best bet is probably to start with his favoured 11 for the first 60-70 minutes and then get minutes in the legs of the rest for the remainder.

Slocombe

Brindley
    Lacey
    Rawlo
    Chicksen

Doyle CDM
    Enzio LCM
    Roberts RCM
    Rodrigues ACM

Wootton
    Thomas

I guess a diamond can quickly become a 4-3-3 in attack if the players are intelligent enough

No Jake Reeves? is he injured.
    I know, and that’s the difficulty....who do you drop to make way for him? Enzio? Certainly not Roberts, Doyle is a dead cert, and Reeves isn’t (I’m led to believe) a number 10. So that’s the conundrum with a diamond formation.

A 4-2-3-1 would probably suit us better with Doyle and Reeves sitting deep and , Rodrigues and Roberts being the outlet behind Wootton.

On the plus side, we do appear to have enough options to play various systems.

[QUOTE=TSANHO;39577333]
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post

I know, and that’s the difficulty....who do you drop to make way for him? Enzio? Certainly not Roberts, Doyle is a dead cert, and Reeves isn’t (I’m led to believe) a number 10. So that’s the conundrum with a diamond formation.

A 4-2-3-1 would probably suit us better with Doyle and Reeves sitting deep and , Rodrigues and Roberts being the outlet behind Wootton.

On the plus side, we do appear to have enough options to play various systems.
    In the friendlies I have watched Reeves has run the midfield and Ardley knows him from Wimbledon I suspect he is second on the team sheet after Doyle.

Was the second 'save', over the line. Difficult to see.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1308067942198894592

Slug clearance?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1308039807847862273