+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Boris & The Pandemic

Beat the virus, shut the pubs at 10pm! What will I do? I’ve got a great idea, I’ll go to the pub a couple of hours earlier! That should make sure that I don’t catch it. The country is being run by idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    Beat the virus, shut the pubs at 10pm! What will I do? I’ve got a great idea, I’ll go to the pub a couple of hours earlier! That should make sure that I don’t catch it. The country is being run by idiots.
    Exactly!

Swedish, your raise some good points, I won’t cover them all as I don’t know the numbers.

Homogenous, , no offence taken. as we are Island people I understand your thinking process. Guernsey sits in the Bay of St Malo, 40 odd miles from France, 70 odd from England. Many families have French surnames, most of the streets are French named, the laws were originally written in French and there is a Guernsey patois (a form of french) that is spoken and can, on occasions, still be heard today. They are going to reintroduce it into the school curriculum in the near future. There was also a very heavy Irish contingent many years back and obviously many English, Scottish and Welsh have made this rock their home.

Times change though, and now many family names are no longer French, they are East European, Portuguese etc

We indeed have many inhabitants that come from across Europe, many many Portuguese, Latvian, many Polish, a few Russian, many Dutch and German and then of course there a few from as far flung as Australia and Newzealand and the America’s, oh, and let us not forget Africa. and Asia. Since the 1980’s it has become quite diverse in its population. This diversity has occurred mainly to the finance industry, the Islands legal system and in no short part due to very few locals wantImg to work in hospitality. Many of these hospitality workers do work on zero contract hours, many other are paid the minimum wage, so are victims of this pandemic. They have been very well supported by government and by that I mean very well supported.

So I guess, on a smaller scale, we are not so different. I think the one thing we all agree on is we all disagree and that is good for debate. I did follow with some interest Sweden’s handling of the virus as it was brought to my attention through local media. Looking at it it has worked for your country in comparison to other jurisdictions. One thing we should all be aware of is every country is recording data in a differed way.

An interesting article in the FT a week or so ago by Wolfgang Muncheau? A warning to us all perhaps re another lockdown and which supports your mindset I believe. Unfortunately I can’t make the link work

Sorry for the history lesson and keep safe.
    Last edited by Baggiemadguern; 22-09-2020 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggiemadguern View Post
    Swedish, your raise some good points, I won’t cover them all as I don’t know the numbers.

Homogenous, , no offence taken. as we are Island people I understand your thinking process. Guernsey sits in the Bay of St Malo, 40 odd miles from France, 70 odd from England. Many families have French surnames, most of the streets are French named, the laws were originally written in French and there is a Guernsey patois (a form of french) that is spoken and can, on occasions, still be heard today. They are going to reintroduce it into the school curriculum in the near future. There was also a very heavy Irish contingent many years back and obviously many English, Scottish and Welsh have made this rock their home.

Times change though, and now many family names are no longer French, they are East European, Portuguese etc

We indeed have many inhabitants that come from across Europe, many many Portuguese, Latvian, many Polish, a few Russian, many Dutch and German and then of course there a few from as far flung as Australia and Newzealand and the America’s, oh, and let us not forget Africa. and Asia. Since the 1980’s it has become quite diverse in its population. This diversity has occurred mainly to the finance industry, the Islands legal system and in no short part due to very few locals wantImg to work in hospitality. Many of these hospitality workers do work on zero contract hours, many other are paid the minimum wage, so are victims of this pandemic. They have been very well supported by government and by that I mean very well supported.

So I guess, on a smaller scale, we are not so different. I think the one thing we all agree on is we all disagree and that is good for debate. I did follow with some interest Sweden’s handling of the virus as it was brought to my attention through local media. Looking at it it has worked for your country in comparison to other jurisdictions. One thing we should all be aware of is every country is recording data in a differed way.

An interesting article in the FT a week or so ago by Wolfgang Muncheau? A warning to us all perhaps re another lockdown and which supports your mindset I believe. Unfortunately I can’t make the link work

Thanks BMG, very interesting to read, and to broaden my knowledge. 😊

Always good to have a good debate when you have different opinions.

Take care and stay safe. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Baggiemadguern View Post

Good debates on here! All staff in retail now by law have to wear a mask - about time!!!! I don't get the point of pubs/restaurants closing early!!!! I would have said restaurants could only open if there was a minimum of 2m between tables ( not the case at the moment ) and pubs could only open with beer gardens. What closing at 10pm will achieve God only knows!

So many inconsistencies and reversing decisions! I honestly think Boris has lost it! What about dinghies across the channel coming in - is there a curfew after 10pm?

I thought Boris was tough? Seems Sturgeon is tougher even if she's strategically going one better to outsmart him!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)