+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lack of anything from Garlic,

Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler1 View Post
    Its very hard to disagree with anything you have said.

The difficulties we have in trying to understand the club's mentality is in its outcome BUT you never hear the other side of the story which could put a completely different slant on the situation.

Does SD veto prospective new players?
    Does the club interview quite a few new players who eventually choose not to sign for us?
    Do Agents put too high a price on players wages?
    Do clubs we approach set transfer fees that are unacceptable?

What is true is that from a players perspective you run yourself into the ground each year and shorten your playing career without any chance of winning anything. You just do it for Burnley, for wages and bonusses.

We are not an attractive team to watch.

We don't have the biggest stage to walk on and strut our stuff.

Yes, there are International opportunities from playing in the EPL with Burnley but from Ireland; Iceland and the occasional sitting on the English bench.

None of my comments help us but it is another view.
    Fairly easy to answer is this one blueheeler1.

£20 million is the most we will pay for any one player.

£40k per week is the highest basic salary without outside contributions (E.g. City paying for Joe Hart) we will pay , but add-ons include bonus payments for winning promotion or avoiding relegation and often top one million pounds.

Your assertion that "we are not an attractive team to watch" sort of makes no sense. Covid aside, Turf Moor is jammed every home game and I struggle to get match tickets for every EPL away game we play for me and my lads.

Players like Jack Cork and Graham Alexander might laugh at this one: "What is true is that from a players perspective you run yourself into the ground each year and shorten your playing career without any chance of winning anything. You just do it for Burnley, for wages and bonusses."

Burnley Football Club are one of the founding fathers of the Football League, playing at what I and many others consider to be the "Home of Football", offers a different perspective to your claim, "we don't have the biggest stage to walk on and strut our stuff". I know many, many supporters from other teams who love their day out at Burnley and the Turf.

We all seem to forget the likes of Bristol City, Nottingham Forest etc. are not going to drop their trousers just because Burnley come calling for one of their star players. It's dog eat dog out there and this Corona virus and our government's response to it are not exactly helping football finances either.

Macclesfield have just disappeared into history, others will imminently follow; I just thank God Mike Garlick is determined we will carry on in the tradition of our forefathers and Bob Lord in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    He has backed Sean with his request for £15 million that was chucked at Gawthorpe to turn it into the Barnfield Centre.

McNeil, Dunne and Benson whether you like it or not, have broken into the First Team Squad from the Development Squad, so something is working, is it not?

This obsession you share with Alto and a lot of other Burnley fans is the belief he is out of his depth. We finished in tenth position after 38 games in the EPL last season and the club ain't going broke.

If I had just landed in Burnley on a Starship from Mars and saw Barnfield, looked at the accounts, so no debt on the books, realised all major assets are paid for and looked at where we finished last season, I would quite reasonably think, "Phuck me, this lot have one bloody good custodian at the Chairman's table".

Incidentally do you think Messrs Holt, Flood, Nelson, Kilby, Crabb & Banaszkiewicz are all out of there depth too?

We also have a globally renowned University of Football Business which was instigated under the watch of our Chairman.

On quiet reflection he does not appear to be too far out of his depth to me.

Perhaps our Chairman needs to tell Dyche to stop whinging and get on with his phucking job and leave the rest to him?

But please don't let your anti-Garlick obsession get in the way of the facts eh bfcjon.
    On the other hand the visitor from Mars could look at all the above and see a club whose chairman has allowed the number of senior players in the first team squad, despite the manager's pleas, to shrink to a level where the bench has to be filled with youth team players. He may then conclude that in such dire circumstances, as the club still managed to finish 10th in arguably the most competitive league in world football, that it must have a genius of a manager hamstrung by a chairman who is a bit of a clown.

And ET would be right.

Fairly easy to answer is this one blueheeler1.

£20 million is the most we will pay for any one player.

£40k per week is the highest basic salary without outside contributions (E.g. City paying for Joe Hart) we will pay , but add-ons include bonus payments for winning promotion or avoiding relegation and often top one million pounds.

Your assertion that "we are not an attractive team to watch" sort of makes no sense. Covid aside, Turf Moor is jammed every home game and I struggle to get match tickets for every EPL away game we play for me and my lads.

Players like Jack Cork and Graham Alexander might laugh at this one: "What is true is that from a players perspective you run yourself into the ground each year and shorten your playing career without any chance of winning anything. You just do it for Burnley, for wages and bonusses."

Burnley Football Club are one of the founding fathers of the Football League, playing at what I and many others consider to be the "Home of Football", offers a different perspective to your claim, "we don't have the biggest stage to walk on and strut our stuff". I know many, many supporters from other teams who love their day out at Burnley and the Turf.

We all seem to forget the likes of Bristol City, Nottingham Forest etc. are not going to drop their trousers just because Burnley come calling for one of their star players. It's dog eat dog out there and this Corona virus and our government's response to it are not exactly helping football finances either.

Macclesfield have just disappeared into history, others will imminently follow; I just thank God Mike Garlick is determined we will carry on in the tradition of our forefathers and Bob Lord in particular.
    So Covid is the new ITVDigital BT ? Give over, Sean is on record as asking for the budget to be stretched 18 months ago, long before Covid19 floated over the horizon. This must be the 3rd, possibly 4th, consecutive summer window where the squad has not been strengthened, it's nothing unusual, it's what we've come to expect, it's nothing to do with Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    It certainly takes a lot to do worse than Bob Lord Jon, but Garlick is certainly trying his best.

Dyche has obviously been saying to Garlick and his board in all their meetings, of which I'm sure they occur monthly for the last 2/3 seasons. How do you know what Dyche says to the board?

Obviously they have not acted on what Sean has said to them, so in a cryptic way Dyche (rightly or wrongly) has publicly told anyone that would listen that his hands are tied (Maybe that's Dyches way of saying why when he does (if he does) leave).
    Dyche's annual whing.

We will never know what really happens in the dark corridors of Turf Moor, but certain things stand out to me.

(1) I don't think Wells was a Sean Dyche signing, if he was why was he never used ? Speculation?

(2) I don't think Vydra was a Sean Dyche signing, as again at the beginning he was hardly used. More speculation.

(3) Loan signings, why do we get them as they are always on the bench and never hardly used. Dyche does not like loan signings, he has openly stated on more than one occasion he prefers permanent deals.

(4) We are constantly told we cannot compete (with Clubs on a simular footing as us) with the cost of home grown players, this has been rammed down our throats for many a year, so why have we not looked abroad ? we have known the problem for years yet dont act on it. We finished tenth in the EPL last season. Dyche has said repeatedly he does not trust foreign players to play the "British" way.

(5) Mike Rigg, I said as he was brought in, he did nothing at Man City, Q P R and Fulham yet we employ him, why ? "Crouch was good business for the team" ? You are a prick pal. Rigg is an enigma wrapped inside a mystery Alto. No-one knows what he does, which quite frankly is alarming.l

(6) Another mantra every year is that we do our transfer business at the end of the window, is that because we are left with the dregs that nobody else wants, like the pathetic Grosetski affair, the amateur loan of Drinkwater, not to mention the past it or ordinary players of Lennon, Bamford, Walters etc etc. .Another enigma wrapped inside a mystery Alto. Dyche has just referred to the policy as lastminute.com[/COLOR]

(7) Nobody has mentioned the regular players at BFC, they see it every year with no real effort to improve the team, they must be just as disillusioned as us lot with the lack of strenghtening, so I cannot really blame Tarky (maybe more) wanting away from a Club not wanting to at least try and compete. Finishing tenth in the EPL last season sort of conflicts with your argument Alto, and how can you possibly know what each individual player thinks?

(8) I keep saying it every year, its an ageing squad and the longer you leave it the harder and more expensive it is to rectify. McNeil, Dunne and Benson are not even 23 yet!

(9) Its obscene what PL Footballers earn nowadays, but Garlick has to understand that if you don't try and move with the times you will disapear sooner or later. We have a wage structure in place, if British Airways had tried it they would not be on the brink of going bust.

(10) I really would like to know if fans were allowed in for home games how they would react with the situation, IMO I think 80% would be on Sean Dyche's side and maybe chanting about it. [COLOR="#FF0000"]From my experience, the fans will get behind the team and cheering the lads on to yet another three points.

(11) Some saying the so called takeover (from 2 USA parties) is causing the signing of players to stall, for me if any takeover is true, its just another red herring by our Board. More media driven page filling nonsense

(12) The only words from Garlick in all this is a standard address to the supporters which said nothing we already knew. Garlick is crap a t PR, we all know it, but for the life in me I do not know why we do not have a proper PR guru.

I could go on Jon, but most on this board understand that something has been drastically wrong at our Club for a while now, yet here we are again without any signings, with the added knowledge that whatever is wrong nothing seems to be happening to make it better.
    No debt, young players bursting through, top ten finish in the EPL and something is drastically wrong? I'll be BWFC wish they were only one year ahead of us instead of ten.
    Last edited by The Bedlington Terrier; 19-09-2020 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    On the other hand the visitor from Mars could look at all the above and see a club whose chairman has allowed the number of senior players in the first team squad, despite the manager's pleas, to shrink to a level where the bench has to be filled with youth team players. He may then conclude that in such dire circumstances, as the club still managed to finish 10th in arguably the most competitive league in world football, that it must have a genius of a manager hamstrung by a chairman who is a bit of a clown.

And ET would be right.
    Could it be that we have reached that point in time when our youth team players are deemed good enough for the first team squad sinkov?

If Dyche really wanted to make the point I am sure he would rather leave the bench empty than compromise himself by picking players he deems to be not good enough to wear the shirt.

Bury gone. Macclesfield gone. Even this dodgy old memory remembers us getting stuffed by both of them. I'll stick with Garlick, thank you very much.

BT you change your view more than a prostitute changes her knickers, I'm not trawling through all your posts to find the one's where you say you have not got a clue what Garlick is doing, how the recuitment needs addressing etc etc, now you are sticking up for him like he owes you money, I'd believe more of what you say if you sat on the fence rather that chop and change all the time.

I'm going to call you Jekyll & Hyde from now on as it seems to hit the mark.

It's all about opinions and my opinion is that not one of us posting on here really knows what is happening inside the club and I am happy with that because it is not my concern. Despite being named Parker I am not a nosey bugger! Que sera sera and life goes on regardless.

Could it be that we have reached that point in time when our youth team players are deemed good enough for the first team squad sinkov?
    No.

I love this board and all the comments.

Just remember one or two things:-

We are financially fine without having the backing of any Arab,Russian or Indian speculators.

We have a first class Academy

We exist in a small town unlike the "Big Six".

Ask yourselves where Sunderland,Bolton,Coventry,Portsmouth,Wigan etc are now.

We have the longest serving Manager in the EPL.

AND SOME OF YOU STILL MOAN,I'M JUST GLAD THERE ARE NO DIRECTORS NOMINATED BY THIS BOARD OR WE'D BE NON LEAGUE BY NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    BT you change your view more than a prostitute changes her knickers, I'm not trawling through all your posts to find the one's where you say you have not got a clue what Garlick is doing, how the recuitment needs addressing etc etc, now you are sticking up for him like he owes you money, I'd believe more of what you say if you sat on the fence rather that chop and change all the time.

I'm going to call you Jekyll & Hyde from now on as it seems to hit the mark.
    I think Garlick regards Burnley Football Club Limited as a business and not a plaything Alto.

Businesses need cash reserves and cash flow to operate and survive and I think Garlick does that sublimely well.

On the other hand, Rigg and Hart are invisible, we need a couple of reinforcements in, but we do not live in a perfect world and I just get fed up with the constant sniping about Garlick.

The odd thing is almost every Championship club looks at Burnley Football Club as the model they want to emulate.

Consecutive season number five starts for us at Leicester tomorrow, and I have no doubts whatsoever next season will be our sixth.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)