+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Artists/bands you saw live how did they sound compared to their studio music?

Closer to home and a local ish band so to speak. First saw these perform back in the early 90's. Pleasant vocals and the acoustics are unbelievable. If you ever get the chance to see them, one day I know, have a crack at their Xmas show always held in the City Hall. They sound just like this track live. The guitar play on this is great to hear.

Last edited by Brin; 18-09-2020 at 08:32 PM.

The first 'proper' band that I saw was The Pretenders in 1981. They were in the middle of their heroin addiction period and were gash - they were disinterested and just wanted to get through their set as fast as they could.

I saw U2 and Simple Minds in the same 2000 person venue - Leeds University Union (a clue there for Inspector Mikey in his quest to out me as a fake lawyer). I also saw Public Image Limited there - incredible - but the best of all was a Lindisfarne Christmas Concert. Incredibly twee an unfashionable, but a lot of fun and they went on until the venue management cut them off.

More recently, I saw Ed Sheeran at Roundhay Park last year. A very talented chap.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Seen the Stones many times, at least 20, in Europe and the US, and they've never been owt less than brilliant. Seen Muse almost as many times in UK and US and every one their shows has been breathtaking.
    How's things pal? I have to be honest and say I never saw the connection with the Stones in my youth but as the years have passed, they've really grown on me and I now have a lot of time for their music. The Muse - I've never really given them a chance, albeit, I one did buy one of their CD's. Maybe I should lock myself in a room and listen to all the tracks without interruption, only then will I be able to appreciate how good they are.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    The first 'proper' band that I saw was The Pretenders in 1981. They were in the middle of their heroin addiction period and were gash - they were disinterested and just wanted to get through their set as fast as they could.

I saw U2 and Simple Minds in the same 2000 person venue - Leeds University Union (a clue there for Inspector Mikey in his quest to out me as a fake lawyer). I also saw Public Image Limited there - incredible - but the best of all was a Lindisfarne Christmas Concert. Incredibly twee an unfashionable, but a lot of fun and they went on until the venue management cut them off.

More recently, I saw Ed Sheeran at Roundhay Park last year. A very talented chap.
    Kerr, interesting groups there, very varied.

I have pretty eclectic tastes - really enjoyed the Dixie Chicks in 2006.

I hesitated to mention that I saw Rod Stewart last year and he was very good too.

If I can run around like that when I am 74, I will be a happy bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    How's things pal? I have to be honest and say I never saw the connection with the Stones in my youth but as the years have passed, they've really grown on me and I now have a lot of time for their music. The Muse - I've never really given them a chance, albeit, I one did buy one of their CD's. Maybe I should lock myself in a room and listen to all the tracks without interruption, only then will I be able to appreciate how good they are.
    Doing great thanks mate, I hope you and yours are too. I think it's fair to say both bands write most of their songs specifically to be performed live.

Kerr, I've seen The Pretenders a few times also. Sometimes they would tour with UB40 and both have been the main and support band to each other. Both performed at Herringthorpe. Chrissie was on BBC live recently and at almost 70, she still has that voice.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Kerr, I've seen The Pretenders a few times also. Sometimes they would tour with UB40 and both have been the main and support band to each other. Both performed at Herringthorpe. Chrissie was on BBC live recently and at almost 70, she still ahas that voice.
    Saw UB40 at Herringthorpe. I recall them desperately trying to warm up the audience without much success.

I believe The Pretenders are recording again (or the ones who still alive are)? I will try to catch them again if they do any live dates. 1981 wasn't a vintage year for them.

Yeah, I think it was The Pretenders, then UB40 the next year (could be t'other way round) then The Specials when it all kicked off, the following year.

I recall being at The Specials too, but not the kicking off. I must have been lucky.

Amazing the bands that Herringthorpe attracted.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast