+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Artists/bands you saw live how did they sound compared to their studio music?

Moody Blues at the Albert Hall with the full orchestra absolutely brilliant,Cat Stevens at Liverpool Arena & Newcastle brilliant.The Boss Sheff Arena always a great show.Lindisfarne at Sheff City Hall great night.Bon Jovi a Maddison Square Garden NY Blew me & the wife away the atmosphere electric.Simon & Garfunkle Dublin brill.The legend Joe Cocker Sheff City Hall just to see him was enough for me.
    Last edited by Lolmorgan; 19-09-2020 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Closer to home and a local ish band so to speak. First saw these perform back in the early 90's. Pleasant vocals and the acoustics are unbelievable. If you ever get the chance to see them, one day I know, have a crack at their Xmas show always held in the City Hall. They sound just like this track live. The guitar play on this is great to hear.

Also appears has John Riley & the Acoustic Angels he has a good following in Sheffield.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Saw the Eagles last year in Manchester, sadly no more Glenn Frey though. His Son was a good singer and he managed a couple of songs.
    Don Henly's voice did actually falter on one song but eh the guys 73 so no problem with that.
    I think it was 2001 when I saw them. Only regret was that Don Felder wasn't playing.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Here we go - in no particular order.

Thin Lizzy
    Queen
    Adam and the ants - early years - Dirk wears white sox etc.
    Tenpole Tudor
    Moterhead
    Toyah
    Original mirrors
    Hazel o'connor
    Def Leppard
    The Specials
    Patti Labelle - ****ing AMAZING Singer
    The Lambrettas - I was lucky enoughe to have spent time with Jez Bird (RIP JEZ) and Mark Ellis in my younger days.
    Eurythmics
    The Pole Cats
    Dean Parrish
    Flying Pickets
    Marc Almond - ****ing Amazing Artist
    The Human League - Hung about with them and -
    Jilted John - Also known as " John Shuttleworth" Real name is Graham Fellows. Used to hang about with him and a few others from Sheffield bands.

I could go on but I would bore you to death.
    Wish I would have seen Freddie live. I watched Queen with Paul Rodgers.

Queen are a great example of their live shows being different but just as good, if not better, than their studio stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    Wish I would have seen Freddie live. I watched Queen with Paul Rodgers.

Queen are a great example of their live shows being different but just as good, if not better, than their studio stuff.
    I think a massive majority of fans, when asked, ‘who did you regret never seeing?, would say Queen and the ultra amazing showman that was Freddie Mercury.

Family were the 1st live band I saw supported by America(Horse with no name fame). Went on to see them 3 times. Fantastic live, and I still listen to the CDs, they still do it for me.
    Ground Hogs, Captain Beefheart,
    Deep Purple, Gentle Giant, medicine head,
    The Wursles!!! Mahavishnu Orchestra, Roxy Music, All brilliant live the Wursles were a hoot.
    Creme du la crème. Stefan Grappelli, Dizzy Gillespie, John Ottaway and Wild Willy Barratt, The *** Pistols in 1976, all of them amazing.

Stiff little fingers are brilliant live. I try to see them as often as I can.

Interesting thread
    I've seen, way,way too many live acts to list them all, in variious sized venues all over the place.
    Funnily enough I was chatting about a similar subject to a friend the other day.
    For me its not so important if they don't sound exactly like the record and if I'm being honest I prefer it to be a bit different to give that show a feeling of uniqueness ( even if its a rehersed subtle change that they do every night)

As with some of the acts mentioned, the longevity to their career will always cause an issue with something from an early album sounding the same.

You've got a 40, 50, 60 and some cases 70 something singing something from their te ens and twenties.
    It's all about the changes the years will have on the voice and accepting the differences.
    I suppose some types of music do benefit more from a clarity and purity to the vocal

Probably the best singer I've ever heard was Elaine Paige in the lead role of Piaf at the Lyceum, a real eye-opener or should that be ear-epener, the power and control to her voice was astonishing

Whereas a lot of the bands singers I've seen over the years its more about the vibe and atmosphere of the gig.
    That's not say i don't care if theyre crap singers just they don't have to be so technically perfect.
    Another of the best vocalist I've heard is Tim Booth with James, consistanly brilliant vocalist.
    But will openly admit he can't hit some of the high notes anymore, so they either change the arrangement slightly or a backing singer will do that part.
    For me doesn't detract in anyway from the song or the performance because its not exactly how I first heard it on the record, its just different

A lot of the bands I followd in the seventies are getting on now. Loved Bryan Ferry's voice, but it's long gone now.
    Only been disappointed by a few bands, but most were just as good as I thought they would be. Quo, in the seventies were awesome live, as were Dire straits , The Clash, Gary Moore and Eric Clapton.

Outstanding for me in replication of album sounds but as live gig:

U2 Joshua Tree tour 97
    Simon and Garfunkel at Hyde Park 2003ish
    PIL: some shed in Shoreditch around 2009
    Sparks: 21 albums in 21 shows in Islington 2008

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast