+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: O/T Artists/bands you saw live how did they sound compared to their studio music?

Quote Originally Posted by loyalmiller View Post
    but the thing I remember most about that day was watching Teardrop explodes hiding behind the amps whilst bottles of pi$$ Rained down on them.
    a warm welcome guaranteed in Yorkshire for scousers :-))

Great thread and nice not to have the likes of Rolybollox and Mr2 jumping all over it telling us how to behave and provide links that we were there....

Quote Originally Posted by millersrus View Post
    Talking of which, I never got to see my no1 all time favourite David Bowie. Did go to see a tribute band last year though and they were good entertainment.
    I saw Bowie live twice round about 83/84 In London and Birmingham - he was Amazing.

I would love to go and see Jacob Banks but that might not be on the cards for a while yet.
    Last edited by BigLadonOS; 21-09-2020 at 01:40 AM.

A bit off topic, but going for a quick dip in the pool at Hellaby Hall gym and seeing Bryan Ferry doing a few lengths with his hair out of place felt a bit odd. He soon put it right when he climbed out lol

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    I saw Bowie live twice round about 83/84 In London and Birmingham - he was Amazing.

I would love to go and see Jacob Banks but that might not be on the cards for a while yet.
    For those who have never heard of Jacob Banks this is live and his voice is so close to the recording its unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    A bit off topic, but going for a quick dip in the pool at Hellaby Hall gym and seeing Bryan Ferry doing a few lengths with his hair out of place felt a bit odd. He soon put it right when he climbed out lol
    I had a mate who was legendary for his quiff, it was rumoured he used lard on his hair , which I found a bit hard to believe, until one time I saw him dive off the top board at the Sheffield Rd baths and came up without a hair out of place into a rainbow slick on the waters surface !

I've never been disappointed watching The Beautiful South.

Extremely disappointed when we went to see Meat Loaf

We were at Nebworth to watch Oasis and had a fantastic day/weekend

PULP were a different class when we saw them at Sheffield arena and by far the best concert I've been to

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    I had a mate who was legendary for his quiff, it was rumoured he used lard on his hair , which I found a bit hard to believe, until one time I saw him dive off the top board at the Sheffield Rd baths and came up without a hair out of place into a rainbow slick on the waters surface !
    That made me LOL - thanks, Lincs!

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Yeah I saw Art in the London leg of that tour. Great intimate evening and think his voice must have strengthened some by then. He was in good voice.

Oddly enough, when I saw him with Paul at the Hyde Park gig, we got there early and as we waited outside heard them doing sound check. The harmonies were awful! But come showtime, absolutely brilliant. That was their last tour and thankful I saw them.

Seem Paul Simon solo a few times also and does great sound reproduction every time with his huge band.

For any Simon and Garfunkel lovers, I completely recommend 'The Simon and Garfunkel Story' a stage show that tells their story throughout playing most of their key songs with great vocalists replicating the harmonies. It was touring all over up to lock down and even played Rotherham Civic a couple of years ago
    Interesting comments, Raging, thank you. I'd heard that Art picked up later in the tour so you've confirmed it. I've only seen Paul Simon with Sting (mentioned in an earlier post) which I didn't enjoy that much. I went for the lottery of getting tickets for the S and G concert at the Royal Albert Hall in 1968 but no luck. (Remember sending off about £1/18/3d for six tickets and worrying about whether I'd get my refund!) Hopefully that stage show comes back. Sounds like something I would really enjoy.

This has been an enjoyable thread but as I said earlier very difficult to answer the OP. I've seen hundreds of bands but not through choice as I was working on the concerts and I don't feel able to judge. Posters have mentioned many of the important variables such as time, age etc. I also think atmosphere, booze, drugs, lighting, company and other things colour the experience. Never saw the Beatles, turned down a chance to see the Stones, preferred The Who on record to live and would only say there are too acts I regret never seeing: Simon & Garfunkel and The Mamas & The Papas.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast