+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Coventry v QPR....both teams did not take the knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Roly, seriously? Here we have a man who openly calls himself mixed race as doesn't come down on either side. Are you saying he's a double racist?

Do you sleep at night? What do you dream about? It seems pal that everything in your life revolves around politics.

Seriously, have you ever thought about standing as a Rotherham Labour Councillor?
    Football and politics Brin...

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Football and politics Brin...
    I've not seen thi post owt football for weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    I've not seen thi post owt football for weeks
    Tharra card Brin. One of the old school! The calibre of poster on here has gone down...

Don't always agree with you but see you as being one of the reasonable guys.

I think you may make a good mod. How about it ya owd bugger?

Tharra card Brin. One of the old school! The calibre of poster on here has gone down...

Don't always agree with you but see you as being one of the reasonable guys.

I think you may make a good mod. How about it ya owd bugger?
    Look in the mirror,there's your answer.

For a moderator he surprisingly sides more with the right wing posters than left. I don't mind him having right wing opinions that;s up to him but I always thought moderators were meant to be somewhere in the middle. When he starts agreeing with some of the things the lefty's say on here I may believe it.

I shouldn't have to tell a moderator how to moderate but there you have it.
    And that left-wing "agree with me or else" tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Just like you, raging, I have no idea what every individual Millers player thinks about taking the knee.

Given that taking the knee seems to have been universally observed over every football league (I'm happy to be corrected on that as I haven't checked) isn't the better question whether it is fair to assume that every player in every league shares the view that it is a course of action that they want to take? That, I would suggest, is an absurd proposition. There are likely to be some who hold racist views, for which it is difficult to hold any sympathy, but are you really suggesting that there won't be some, if not many, who have no issue with the notion of seeking equality for all races, but think the knee gesture is just that - a gesture, or who feel uncomfortable with the stated aims of elements of the BLM movement?

The point I am making is that players don't really have choice. A player who took the view that he would prefer not to participate would suffer horribly at the hands of John's court of public opinion as the left wing twitter mob lit up their keyboards. He would risk abuse from supporters, loss of sponsorship and possibly even actions at the hands of his club. Is that really something that any society should desire for someone simply for swimming against the tide of left wing orthodoxy? I don't think so.

I know that you will rail against the notion of a left wing orthodoxy, but you can see it in action on this board. A couple of weeks ago, I suggested that the officer involved in the shooting of Jacob Blake should be judged in a courtroom as opposed to on social media and was accused of 'siding with right wingers, (or something like that) by Wan Chai. Seriously? Is that where we want to be? Roly cannot tolerate any opinion that does not accord with his own, which he picks up courtesy of his politics.

You say that people who work ‘closely with black people will be plenty aware of why so many of their black work mates feel strongly about the movement and want to show their support’. With respect, that is why I selected the Courtney Lawes link. He IS black and has a number of black team mates at Northampton Saints. Despite that he has been brave enough to stand up to the orthodoxy and has suffered for it.

I'm not suggesting that Lawes has a monopoly on common sense, but he has an awful lot as far as I am concerned. Here's a slight fuller article:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/court...nt-talk-about/
    I would agree that there will undoubtedly be people at clubs who do not agree with the knee gesture. But I would also think that, as grown men, that the staff would, like most organisations adjusting how they respond and adjust to public mood, take part in discussions and debates that we are not privy to where you would hope that grown adults can express their opinions. I would hope then that the team arrived at a democratic decision about whether to support the decision as a collective. If there were any dissidents, is it that unusual to go along with a democratic consensus with a public message? But my feeling, based on working in a multi-cultural organisation, is that people working closely with black people have openly discussed why the BLM movement came to the fore, and worker’s personal experience of the layers of discrimination that still operate in the UK. (And I do agree that the UK is one of the most tolerant countries in the world, and we should all be proud of that, but that shouldn’t stop us addressing remaining barriers for our citizens). And as a result of those discussions, I would expect that most are supportive of the reasons behind the team decision and respect it, even if not feeling entirely comfortable about the gesture. I would hope that any such opposition views are welcomed as part of the debate by club leaders. What I think I can appreciate from the Millers decision is that the club was happy to go with the player’s decision, one way or another. As was I. I’m not sure what pressure you think is being applied?

I do question the notion of a left wing orthodoxy, as I do a right wing orthodoxy. It looks to me that you have extremes on the left who are pressuring organisations and individuals who speak out on public figure. Some of these are making valid social media points and arguments, some are bonkers and making unacceptable threats/comments. But surely by the same token, similar things happen with right wingers, some of whom make perfectly valid points/pressures on organisations (such as on here people saying they will not buy tickets whilst our players take the knee) and others who make unacceptable comments/threats against left wing public figures. Extremists on both sides are surely just pressuring for the same thing – to have their world outlook imposed on their world. But why do you only focus on the extremists in one wing and not the other? What about the death threats that Tyrone Mings had to endure having given his opinion on race in football, as well as scores of other celebrity lefties that give opinions in public?

Lawes talks a lot of sense though and I am accepting that the wider intentions of BLM can damage the good intentions of addressing discrimination and I think that the footy bosses are wise to replace the BLM logo for a wider reaching anti-racism one. As far as I am aware, taking the knee didn’t originate from BLM so that stands separate to me. I personally would like to see it replaced also by an active promotion of the wider stance, but I guess that’s easy for me to wish for – I suspect many of the players would fiercely want to keep the issue very visible so as to keep the issue visible, uncomfortable as it might be for us.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    Look in the mirror,there's your answer.
    I certainly am one of the reasonable ones on here miller bill you are right. You may argue i preach but I preach about tolerance/ equality /fairness whereas some others excuse, at best , intolerance/ selfishness and promote it at worst.

I may have my faults but I can sleep at night with a clear conscience...I wonder if some of the right wingers can and if they do I would like to know their secret...

If you can honestly sleep with a clear conscience you are doing summat right with your life I reckon...
    Last edited by rolymiller; 21-09-2020 at 02:25 PM.

I'm surprised at you seemingly siding with an extremist right wing idiot but then again if that is what the mods are coming to on here god help this board.

Like I've said before to you be a plonker and allow this site to be closed down. At least no one will be able to blame me when it goes..

Shame on you.

Bring back Deano and Rich the site was much better then.
    Sense of humour not in your repertoire then Roly? I already gave my opinion on politics on here and wingers on the pist match thtead. As for Deano and Rich I agree. Bring them back to a site they abandoned leaving a matchthread and a prediction league poster to carry the can.

As for my leanings and bias, even Raging laughs at my jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Sense of humour not in your repertoire then Roly? I already gave my opinion on politics on here and wingers on the pist match thtead. As for Deano and Rich I agree. Bring them back to a site they abandoned leaving a matchthread and a prediction league poster to carry the can.

As for my leanings and bias, even Raging laughs at my jokes.
    I dont mind you taking the piss out of me. If you were to take the piss out of some of the right wingers on here for balance that would be fair enough.

Roly, spokesman for QPR Les Ferdinand (black man) says they didn’t take the knee last Saturday because it has lost its weight and needs removing from football and we need to move on.

Do you feel like ripping into a black man for saying this?

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast