+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Reading v Barnsley Match Thread

What we need is a big bugga up front who can score and refs who will not fall for all the diving/ falling over to get a free kick and get players sent off. i dont mind loosing to a better team but to lose to a team that can only win by gamesmanship i cannot accept

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    If I thought for one minute the game would be cleared of cheats then fair enough mate .

The reality is it won't be , all you are doing in my opinion by doing the same is levelling up your chances of success .

Your not really gaining an advantage in other words you are simply adapting to the game today and staying in the hunt .

We all know the margins at this level and to me it's just plain daft not to respond in kind .

It's not right by any means but getting turned over is even worse in my opinion .
    I understand what you're saying mate and that's the way things have got unfortunately. As SB alluded to 'Don Revies Leeds ed quality but were dirty buggaz'- well it's not always been whiter than white has it and poses the question how far this type of behaviour goes back in football.

I just think it's better to attain things in the proper manner. If that makes me a loser by todays standards then I can comfortably live with that.

Take a hypothetical situation here, different to football cheats but the same in principle- Do you remember that game show Golden Balls wi Jasper Carrot? Well in the finale 2 contestants got the opportunity of splitting the winnings between them stealing it all for themselves.

At first I always found it amazing how many stole but after a while it stopped surprising me. The nations mentality is so single minded it's untrue. Altruism isn't a trait that many folk in modern society possess, no doubt the legacy of the Thatcher government. The likes of Conway would steal for their own gain, it's all about personal advantage and to hell with ethics and morality.

Back to the Goldenballs thing anyrooard. If I were in the final I would split everytime, even if I knew for certain that the person sat across was gonna steal. I can honestly say if my opposite number stole the money, whatever the circumstances were, then it wouldn't bother me. I can live with making the correct decision even if it means losing art on summat. See I believe in Karma. You do wrong by folk then it will bite you at some stage.

However, I'm not totally naive despite my stance, I'm pretty streetwise and am wary of certain situations or things therefore I'm not too vulnerable. The only time I'd consider using underhand tactics in life would be to get myself out of a personally threatening situation but it would be the last resort.

I admired Cloughies stance, a man to be respected in my book. Ok he had his faults like many of us do but I bloody wish every team adopted his vision on football.

Alf Ramsay n all after beating the 'Animals' 1-0 in the world cup quarter final in 1966.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    I understand what you're saying mate and that's the way things have got unfortunately. As SB alluded to 'Don Revies Leeds ed quality but were dirty buggaz'- well it's not always been whiter than white has it and poses the question how far this type of behaviour goes back in football.

I just think it's better to attain things in the proper manner. If that makes me a loser by todays standards then I can comfortably live with that.

Take a hypothetical situation here, different to football cheats but the same in principle- Do you remember that game show Golden Balls wi Jasper Carrot? Well in the finale 2 contestants got the opportunity of splitting the winnings between them stealing it all for themselves.

At first I always found it amazing how many stole but after a while it stopped surprising me. The nations mentality is so single minded it's untrue. Altruism isn't a trait that many folk in modern society possess, no doubt the legacy of the Thatcher government. The likes of Conway would steal for their own gain, it's all about personal advantage and to hell with ethics and morality.

Back to the Goldenballs thing anyrooard. If I were in the final I would split everytime, even if I knew for certain that the person sat across was gonna steal. I can honestly say if my opposite number stole the money, whatever the circumstances were, then it wouldn't bother me. I can live with making the correct decision even if it means losing art on summat. See I believe in Karma. You do wrong by folk then it will bite you at some stage.

However, I'm not totally naive despite my stance, I'm pretty streetwise and am wary of certain situations or things therefore I'm not too vulnerable. The only time I'd consider using underhand tactics in life would be to get myself out of a personally threatening situation but it would be the last resort.

I admired Cloughies stance, a man to be respected in my book. Ok he had his faults like many of us do but I bloody wish every team adopted his vision on football.

Alf Ramsay n all after beating the 'Animals' 1-0 in the world cup quarter final in 1966.
    It's a funny one is this for me personally , get me on a football pitch and I'll take any advantage I can and it wouldn't bother me tuppence .

Get me on a golf course and ill call a penalty on myself all day long even though no bugga was watching and even when I've played from time to time as a single golfer .

Weird innit Pass .

Same wi snooker animal. Different sports and sportsmen have different ethics.
    Would av said its just not cricket, but cheating seems to have becone more prevalent in that now.

Rugby Union is Posh Boy's thuggery. As long as tha puts thi hands on thi head and says "Sir" to the ref tha can scrape thi studs on players, grab their b0ll0cks or bite their ears off.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 20-09-2020 at 10:32 AM.

The thing is, it could be stopped very easily.
    Footballers are like kids, and if you keep saying 'yes' to them, they'll keep doing it.
    I played Saturdays & Sundays into my early 40's, and the odd game into my early 50's, and it never once entered my head to cheat.
    I remember once when I was player/manager I signed a lad I worked with who'd played at a higher level.
    We got a corner and as the ball came over he squealed like a girl and fell to the ground - penalty - he winked at me.
    He took it and scored but none of his team mates congratulated him - it wasn't how we played.
    I know, and anybody who's played the game knows, when a centre forward receives the ball and he's got no support he's going to initiate contact with a defender and go down. 99 times out of a 100 he gets a free kick when the defender did nothing wrong.
    Surely if we know there's no foul, the refs should.
    Referees are like traffic wardens. Give them half a chance to produce a card/ticket, and they'' take it.
    I've just seen the penalty Preston 'won' at Norwich. The Preston lad would have had to be 30 foot tall to get his head on it, so he made contact and fell over.
    All this going down holding their face every time they lose a header is painful to watch.
    I saw Marcus Rashford MBE do it last night. Then he got up and did the 'He elbowed me mime. A fine example to young kids. He might have got them free school meals, but he also shows them how to cheat.
    The West Brom lad got sent off for putting his hands in James' face - why?
    An even game suddenly turns into a 5-2 game - and could have been 7 or 8 easily.
    I know why - it's the rules. But who's ever been seriously injured by raising their hands? - nobody.
    But, because players know there's a good chance to get someone sent off - they go down holding their face. Scrap the rule.
    Who's in charge of these referees? Mike Riley - the ref that thought it was ok for Gary Neville to chop Andy Liddle in two at Old Trafford.
    Even Fergie thought it was a penalty.
    Stop giving soft free kicks, penalties and red cards and punish blatant cheating.
    It might take a while but it could be done.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    It's a funny one is this for me personally , get me on a football pitch and I'll take any advantage I can and it wouldn't bother me tuppence .

Get me on a golf course and ill call a penalty on myself all day long even though no bugga was watching and even when I've played from time to time as a single golfer .

Weird innit Pass .

I think Hodger hit a good point, it's the world we grow up in that sometimes defines us. Rashford acting like a 2hat on a football pitch but tha cant fault worriz done off the pitch.

Perhaps your situation with football and golf being chalk and cheese is to do with the respective sports. Football is a street game weear thy only needs a few lads and a ball. Golf is a sport where it's not so easy to participate when thy a young un. It costs a fair bit to get some gear together and tha can't just gu art on street and laik it.

Maybe because of these circumstances thy appreciates the etiquette and gentlemanly conduct involved in golf whereas in football first lesson ar wo told by mi manager as a center aif wo to let opposition striker know a wo theear. Big difference.

Ok we usually do badly against them dont we. Regardless of each performance against them, i cant remember the last time we beat them.
    Ohh and I haven't forgot either, wtf were we in all yellow again for ?. For no reason whatsoever!!.

Red cards hurt of course and they make it hard to win anything away from home. But Im more angry with the ref again right now after that showing!.

Bray him wi summat evvy then !

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Bray him wi summat evvy then !
    Ok, lend me your English dictionary to tw*t him with lol. If you don't have one, get me SB's instead.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast