Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
There's a simple way of sorting out offside based on what BB said earlier.

There was always supposed to be "benefit of the doubt" going to the attacking player but I see precious little of this.

For me it's to declare that there has to be daylight between the attacker and the defender.

At the millisecond the ball is played forward if the attacker is in line with the defender's toenail or d I c k then he's onside.......if there's any daylight between the players then he's offside.

This is so simple it's untrue..........it's beyond unbelievable that in 2020 this hasn't been cleared up.

Refereeing at every level is dismal.

Take a look at around 1 minute 14 seconds of my non league sides Stourbridge 4-1 win at Hednesford yesterday to see a truly awful decision in favour of my side with their defender getting a straight red.

Some good goals in this match including a stunner at 5 minutes and 18 seconds by Greg Mills who was at Derby early in his career.

The refereeing though......Jeez!

https://youtu.be/rQrinZXGG4k
Absolutely it basically the same principle they now apply to corner kicks as the ball has to touch the slightest bit of the chalk on corners if there is clear air then the corner must be retaken.

Re the thread opening post here the de gea pen was correctly called his feet were off the line whereas Allison had one slightly touching the line, but here again a clear air principle appears to be being used.

Hopefully Wenger will sort it out, but I don't understand why he has already sorted it out tbh.