+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New penalty rule

Here's a question.
    What was the most important penalty we've ever scored?

I've not thought about it before, nothing springs to mind. There's probably an obvious one that's slipped from the memory but I can't remember ever going completely nuts over a spot kick conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Here's a question.
    What was the most important penalty we've ever scored?

I've not thought about it before, nothing springs to mind. There's probably an obvious one that's slipped from the memory but I can't remember ever going completely nuts over a spot kick conversion.
    Julien Baudet?

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Julien Baudet?
    Correct

Baudet's probably got the biggest celebration at ML for a pen but it didn't actually matter, we'd have stayed up anyway.

Alan Sheehan's pen at Oldham on the last day of 2013/14 may have had more relevance in that it probably affected Tranmere's performace in the last quarter of an hour which saw them go down.

Stevie Carter once equalised at Fword with a pen and we went on to to win that game.

At the other end, the shocking award of a pen to Coventry in the Play off semis might be the most costly ever.
    I'm still annoyed that we didn't beat Man Utd in 92 thanks to Paul Ince running into Drapes, knocking him flying and the ref giving Ince a pen. I think Ince was also responsible for Drapes quitting as kit man 20 years later.

I like penalties especially if you're watching as a neutral. Also sometimes it's the only way a team getting dominated can get back into the game and can often change the way of a match. It also stops defenders steaming into people in the box (most of the time) and creates more shooting opportunities as defenders can be frightened to get too close.

I don't like Man U but that was a farce last night. Personally, I'd do away with penalties altogether (apart from shoot-outs), there's far too many of them given these days and barely any are warranted, in most situations the attacking team wouldn't have scored if the 'foul' hadn't been committed. Booking or sending's off for preventing near certain goals would suffice.
    I wouldn’t do away with penalties, I’d just make VAR a reviewing system that teams use on appeal, like in test cricket.

If you’re trying to deny an opponent a goal-scoring opportunity in the box, there needs to be a suitable, well, penalty for that - and that should be a penalty kick. Same as pulling someone’s shirt in the box to prevent them jumping at a corner or free kick.

The law that keepers should stay still on the goal line is hardly a new one. The FA obviously intend to tighten up an old law. It's important to understand the difference between a rule and a law.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    The law that keepers should stay still on the goal line is hardly a new one. The FA obviously intend to tighten up an old law. It's important to understand the difference between a rule and a law.
    The only new part about it is that they changed it from having both feet on the line to only needing one foot on the line, so they actually made it easier for keepers not harder. It's only that they've decided to be strict in actually enforcing it that caused issues, it was the same in the world cup when everyone said it was a farce, in truth it was just that they randomly decided to start penalising keepers for encroaching but they should have been doing it the whole time anyway.

You can just as easily counter that with a scenario where Notts make a tactical foul in the last minute to avoid defeat and then go on to win the shoot out. You play to the rules but there comes a point where you have to ask, is this rule sucking the joy out of the game? Penalties have become, for the most part, cheap token goals awarded on a whim by the officials.
    I was wondering whether it's April 1st.

What would 'suck the joy out of the game' is 'tactical fouls', as in, it would be less costly to commit a 'tactical foul' than to give away a penalty.

Leave it as it is - the problem is VAR - after all. had it not been for that then we wouldn't even be debating it

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    I like penalties especially if you're watching as a neutral. Also sometimes it's the only way a team getting dominated can get back into the game and can often change the way of a match. It also stops defenders steaming into people in the box (most of the time) and creates more shooting opportunities as defenders can be frightened to get too close.
    Penalties encourage diving, if they didn't exist attackers would try to stay on their feet and you'd get more shots and genuine goals. Far more exciting.

I'd go with Keeping them for clear one on one goal scoring opportunities being denied, but awarding them for ball to hand from a cross, such as the European Cup final between Liverpool v Spurs, is a complete joke.

VAR is the biggest problem of all, but it feels as though they'd change every rule in the book before getting rid of that now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast