+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How do you treat a player like Woodrow ?

How do you treat a player like Woodrow ?

All strikers go through a lean spell or a few lean spells in their career.

Woodrow scored 19 goals two seasons ago and 15 goals last season so clearly has goalscoring ability. Since lockdarn he has gone through a lean spell.

One school of football management thought in such a situation is to put your arm round the player on the training ground, tell him he is a quality player, tell him you trust him and have confidence in him, gee him up, tell him the goals will come.

Another approach is to marginalise the player, don't play him in the starting XI, bring other players on with far worse goalscoring ability when you are 0-1 down chasing a game. Let him know he is not rated by the coach and lower his confidence further.

I expect Woodrow to go soon and I fear we will regret this over the season.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    All strikers go through a lean spell or a few lean spells in their career.

Woodrow scored 19 goals two seasons ago and 15 goals last season so clearly has goalscoring ability. Since lockdarn he has gone through a lean spell.

One school of football management thought in such a situation is to put your arm round the player on the training ground, tell him he is a quality player, tell him you trust him and have confidence in him, gee him up, tell him the goals will come.

Another approach is to marginalise the player, don't play him in the starting XI, bring other players on with far worse goalscoring ability when you are 0-1 down chasing a game. Let him know he is not rated by the coach and lower his confidence further.

I expect Woodrow to go soon and I fear we will regret this over the season.
    That deeper role has killed Woodrow in my opinion .

He's gone from our best player scoring goals , our main threat and a player the opposition were genuinely concerned about .

To not even getting on the field at all when we are losing by a single goal and the clock ticking .

Struber's ruined him for me personally , I wouldn't mind so much but Woodrow ain't that effective in the deeper role , other players here that could have done that job and possibly better too .

What's clear is that if you don't fit this system then you are out with Struber no matter the ability , the system comes first the players ability second .

That's why he bombed Wilks out in January .

Ritzmaier can't do no wrong because he fits the system despite the fact he's a low quality player .

In my opinion the spine of this team who should start every week is Sollbauer at the back , Mowatt and Styles in midfield and Woodrow up top with his mojo back .

Tha builds around that , those four are the foundations of this team , Mowatt and Styles should be a midfield central pair and not separated and Mowatt further up the pitch so both are breaking the lines .

If the lad at Donny Whiteman is out of reach then get Halme in to anchor the midfield .

Do we need to play three at the back ? ,

We are setting up not to lose rather than win in my opinion which is fine until tha loses a goal but then tha fecked .

I'd be looking at 4-5-1 personally .

------------- Walton ------

Ludewig --Sollbauer Andersen / Helik - Williams

----------------------- Halme ---------

Freiser ----- Mowatt ---- Styles ---- Oduor / Thomas

---------------------- Woodrow ---------

I wouldn't blame Cauley if the chance of a move came in , He's the best Striker that we've had for a number of season's , i've said it before that I'm not fussed about Struber , he his killing Woodrow by either playing him out of position or not playing him at all , as Animal mentioned he appears to be setting up not to lose , we had similar spells under Robins and Hecky , that didn't go down well , I can see another Stendel type situation happening here , he has asked for experienced player's , he has been backed fairly well too, He recently spoke about talking to other club's , he's been given more than Stendel it seems ? , defence wise we look good , so why is he bringing in another defender when it's a Striker we need , If I were Cauley I'd be asking my Agent to get me away quick ,

A strong spine is so last decade Animal. It's for the coaching dinosaurs.

What good were Davies--Lindsay/ Pinnock--Mowatt--Woodrow/Moore ?

Ad like a commanding keeper, two big strong tackling full backs, twin centre backs, an enforcer wing heyf, a creative wing heyf, a football brain goal scorer at inside forrad, a fast tricky winger, a big bully hold up centre forrad, a little quick goal poacher feeding off him.
    The early 80's team fits the mould--Macca, Evans, McHale, Banks, Glavin Aylott, Parker, Barrowclough etc.

Thi team above would work. Not sure abart Frieser yet. Brown would ev been perfect in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    I wouldn't blame Cauley if the chance of a move came in , He's the best Striker that we've had for a number of season's , i've said it before that I'm not fussed about Struber , he his killing Woodrow by either playing him out of position or not playing him at all , as Animal mentioned he appears to be setting up not to lose , we had similar spells under Robins and Hecky , that didn't go down well , I can see another Stendel type situation happening here , he has asked for experienced player's , he has been backed fairly well too, He recently spoke about talking to other club's , he's been given more than Stendel it seems ? , defence wise we look good , so why is he bringing in another defender when it's a Striker we need , If I were Cauley I'd be asking my Agent to get me away quick ,
    For me Roma anytime tha plays three at the back its because tha dunt think tha good enough to play with a normal two centre halfs , tha papering over the cracks .

Thi best teams play with a standard back four because three at the back causes thi to have to feck abart further up the pitch .

Struber goes on abart trusting his players but in reality he doesn't .
    Last edited by animallittle3; 20-09-2020 at 11:16 AM.

Woodrow is our best striker, his stats prove that. You don't become a bad player overnight. All strikers go through lean spells, even Shearer did, but the manager stuck with him.
    Blimey, Dagnall went for months without scoring but was alway picked, and then when he scored he couldn't stop scoring.
    Cauley needs to be in a front two to play off another striker.
    Struber now has his team. Half the players that started on Saturday are his players

Some good points raised. I agree about the 3 at the back when tha at home but away from home I can understand why he goes with the 3.

Woodrows body language was clear to read at Brentford after the final whistle. His celebrations in the aftermath were more subdued compared to the rest of the lads. When Struber went to congratulate him it looked slightly awkward and understandably so.

This situation isn't new. Various coaches view certain players differently. When thy averages a new headcoach ivry 12 months(as this consortium have) then this kind of thing is bound to happen.