+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If you are thinking we will survive this season who will be 11th and 12th?.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Yesterday's win was very important for various reasons, gets the home win money off our backs too

I've thought all along that it's difficult to find two sides that are obvious to finish bottom two, we are the underdogs this season regardless of what people think, given the circumstances we faced and the delay in knowing what league we'd be in

It won't be easy to stay in the league and I'll be delighted with finishing out the bottom two, it's a good challenge though, think it will be tight for most of the league

Still think the top six will ultimately be celtic sevco sheep hibs killie mwell, probably our best bet of finishing above teams are st mirren, county and accies, less so livi and perth
    What makes you think we are the underdogs?The latest odds I have seen have us finishing fifth in the league, joint with Killie. Now personally I would say the bookies are overly optimistic but it certainly doesn't suggest they believe we are underdogs.

I would like to see the wee clubs with plastic pitches - Accies and Livi go down.

I think this could be the time when Accies go down

After that it will be tight - slight worry for us there are no mugs in this division.

If I was guessing I’d say Livi most likely for 11th and then maybe farmers who have started not great

In general terms, yeah, Accies & Livi would be ideal to go down, get rid of 2/3 premier plastic in one fell swoop, perfect. BUT, the bigger picture. There is no money in Scottish fitba & the SPFL couldn't even turn round to Killie and say, right, premier league, at the end of the season get rid, go grass. Cos lower league teams can & do thrive on plastic, take local Montrose as an example where community & youth football are on a scale with the 'big' team itself. So what can one do? Allow plastic in tiers 2, 3 & 4, ban plastic in prem? Supposing hypothetically, Montrose was transformed & shot up the divisions. The SPFL would have to tell them to ditch the plastic when they got to the prem. The SPFL can not simply put out a dictate, no plastic in the top tier, it's so impractical. It's a tricky one. What's the rule down in England, anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by ARAbCHNID View Post
    What's the rule down in England, anyone know?
    They’re banned in PL, Championship, Leagues One and Two. And rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by ARAbCHNID View Post
    In general terms, yeah, Accies & Livi would be ideal to go down, get rid of 2/3 premier plastic in one fell swoop, perfect. BUT, the bigger picture. There is no money in Scottish fitba & the SPFL couldn't even turn round to Killie and say, right, premier league, at the end of the season get rid, go grass. Cos lower league teams can & do thrive on plastic, take local Montrose as an example where community & youth football are on a scale with the 'big' team itself. So what can one do? Allow plastic in tiers 2, 3 & 4, ban plastic in prem? Supposing hypothetically, Montrose was transformed & shot up the divisions. The SPFL would have to tell them to ditch the plastic when they got to the prem. The SPFL can not simply put out a dictate, no plastic in the top tier, it's so impractical. It's a tricky one. What's the rule down in England, anyone know?
    Artificial pitches shouldn't be allowed in SPFL football, period. If they are to be tolerated then it should be League 1 and 2 only with the proviso that if a team get promoted from one of these (and they have such a pitch) they either get rid of it or stay down.

Smaller teams don't need an artificial pitch to survive and even thrive, look at Arbroath for example. In fact most teams in League 1 and 2 don't have one.

I am in the minority here but i dont mind the plastic pitches. the quality of these pitches are miles better than they were when dunfermline had their astro pitch. i get why people dont like these pitches but i think its used too much as an excuse for things. how many times have we lost on these pitches yet have 3 available 3g pitches to use before these games? Cairdy, Gussie and the one over at the HPC.
    it makes finanical sense for clubs to use it. players coming through nowadays are used to it, these pitches need to be approved by UEFA and the SFA. if other countries can use them and still have successful sides (internationally or domestic) then why can't we? like i said i think its used as an excuse too much.

In an ideal world then everyone would play on grass and games wouldnt be called off a lot but thats not the true story.

the only issue i have with these pitches are when teams play about with it like what hamilton done in the playoff final. i.e watering one half of the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenshedtastic View Post
    I am in the minority here but i dont mind the plastic pitches. the quality of these pitches are miles better than they were when dunfermline had their astro pitch. i get why people dont like these pitches but i think its used too much as an excuse for things. how many times have we lost on these pitches yet have 3 available 3g pitches to use before these games? Cairdy, Gussie and the one over at the HPC.
    it makes finanical sense for clubs to use it. players coming through nowadays are used to it, these pitches need to be approved by UEFA and the SFA. if other countries can use them and still have successful sides (internationally or domestic) then why can't we? like i said i think its used as an excuse too much.

In an ideal world then everyone would play on grass and games wouldnt be called off a lot but thats not the true story.

the only issue i have with these pitches are when teams play about with it like what hamilton done in the playoff final. i.e watering one half of the pitch.
    If for no other reason, then that last paragraph is reason enough for them to be ripped up and replaced by grass. Cheating ****s! I sincerely hope that the 2 teams that finish 11th and 12th both play on ****ey plastic pitches.

But if the play off final involves the Dees or Hearts I hope they get that sprinkler ready 😂

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)