+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shopping trolley needs a refill

Shopping trolley needs a refill

Burnley's lack of squad depth was badly exposed when Leicester took advantage of an injury ravaged Burnley. - External Link

Hard to argue with this one...

So, the Premier League is back; did it ever take a break?

For Burnley, the recommencement of hostilities was deferred for a week due to the scheduled opening fixture at home to Manchester United, being postponed until a future date which is more to the visitors’ liking.

In the absence of any actual football to occupy their minds, supporters have instead peppered social media with their vision of how the club should be run. The overwhelming majority of these take the position of blaming Mike Garlick and Head of Recruitment Mike Rigg, for stymying the club’s progress by failing to replenish the playing squad.

It is undeniable that Burnley are infuriatingly sluggish in the transfer market. Whilst clubs of a similar size are dashing around and filling up their trollies; Burnley are to be found listlessly wandering around the fruit and veg aisles clutching an empty basket.

Attachment 16949

For supporters such parsimony is massively infuriating. At the conclusion of last season Burnley were the tenth best team in the land. But rather than use this as a springboard towards even greater achievement, the perception is that such a placement is merely a welcome bonus to the overarching aim of survival in the Premier League.

Whist in no way being an apologist for the actions of the Burnley board, there may be other elements at work; perhaps targeted players are unwilling to join, other clubs undoubtedly pay higher wages; they would be playing for a manager who rarely rotates his squad and thus Burnley may offer only a prolonged spell of bench-warming.

In addition, one doesn’t have to look too far down the road to become aware of what can happen when hubris propels a club to fly too close to the Sun. The long-term sustainability of the club is Mike Garlick’s prime responsibility.

So where does that leave us as the season gets underway? It would seem that the club is pinning a great deal of their hopes on the coaching genius of Sean Dyche and his ability to wring every last drop of football from his players. So far it has proved successful, but with an ageing and currently injury-ravaged squad, the worry is that the point at which this becomes unsustainable is approaching at greater speed.

Then there is the ever-present prospect of other so-called “bigger” clubs making covetous overtures in the direction of Burnley’s star players. At present it would seem that James Tarkowski is being targeted by West Ham.

Despite their metropolitan post code, I would ask in what parallel universe are West Ham a bigger club than Burnley?

West Ham are the epitome of a club whose pretensions outweigh their achievements. Desperate to distance themselves from the working class support base, they inhabit a soulless bowl of a stadium befitting of a club whose soul has been surrendered in pursuit of a social status which has always, and will always, be beyond their reach.

In an era when the going rate for a half-decent centre back starts at over £40 million, their derisory offer of £31 million for Tarkowski has rightly been treated with contempt by the Clarets.

I would be disappointed should Tarkowski leave; but then I was disappointed when Michael Keane and Jason Shackell left, but Burnley not only survived their loss, but improved without them.

And so to the football itself; a tough assignment away to Leicester City televised by the BBC in the time slot usually occupied by the Antiques Roadshow.

Despite taking an early lead thanks to Chris Wood muscling his way onto Charlie Taylor’s far post cross, Burnley were clearly second best throughout the game. That said, three of Leicester’s four goals were preventable, perhaps a sign that Burnley’s defence is not yet quite in full working order.

Not that Jimmy Dunne can be held responsible for those shortcomings. The young defender gave an assured and committed performance on his Premier League debut and his headed goal sparked hopes of possibly escaping with a point, until Praet’s thunderous strike quashed all such notions.

Nevertheless, there was enough in Burnley’s general play to give rise for some optimism, they remained competitive and at no time did they lose their shape, but if this season is to be measured as a success, then Burnley will need to re-stock their shelves before the transfer window slams shut.

The ever articulate Dave Thornley kicks off his usual post-match analysis following a thumping 4-2 defeat for the Clarets at the King Power Stadium. Hard to disagree with his demand for the first team squad’s “Shopping Trolley” to be stocked up, and soon. (TEC)

Every season BT, the trolley gets oiled and polished for the last minute dash in the bargains section. Right at this moment though I can't see any sign of the trolley being tarted up at all, I suspect it's still rusting somewhere at the bottom of the Leeds-Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Every season BT, the trolley gets oiled and polished for the last minute dash in the bargains section. Right at this moment though I can't see any sign of the trolley being tarted up at all, I suspect it's still rusting somewhere at the bottom of the Leeds-Liverpool.
    Dawson from Watford, Stephens from Brighton are reportedly Turf Moor bound. What's there to worry about?

With the current situation relating to the virus forecast to get worse I honestly think that this season will be played behind closed doors and this is going to have a further effect on out finances. Couple that with the uncertainty about the payments/repayments which the PL may bring into force because of the different broadcasting services and I can well understand why our Board are being careful.

We may also find that, if the virus escalates to a really high level again, the season may well be curtailed and this will further affect finances, particularly for smaller clubs like the Clarets.
    Sadly, nothing can be guaranteed at all at the present time because everything is an unknown quantity.

I think Garlick might be persuaded to fund Stephens and Dawson and then hunker down and let this sh-itfest pass, and who could blame him?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Dawson from Watford, Stephens from Brighton are reportedly Turf Moor bound. What's there to worry about?
    What's there to worry about ? Your use of the word 'reportedly' worries me. I could be mistaken, but I'm sure both Dawson and Stephens have been 'reportedly' Turf Moor bound before, yet they are still Watford and Brighton players as of this morning. Will it be different this time, or is this deja vu all over again ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I think Garlick might be persuaded to fund Stephens and Dawson and then hunker down and let this sh-itfest pass, and who could blame him?
    If we want to sign Stephens then Mr Garlick, and/or our recruitment team, has to take on one of the world's best poker players, and we've already shown him and the whole footballing world our hand, and the fact is we haven't got a card worth playing, we are desperate. Mr Bloom must be rubbing his hands in anticipation, a potential relegation rival, fast running out of players, wants one of his players, I'll bet he can't wait to chat to our lads. There is the possibility Brighton want to offload Stephens, if so Mr Bloom might be reasonable, if not he has Garlick by the short and curlies.

But that's the position Garlick has put himself in, not very clever really.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    If we want to sign Stephens then Mr Garlick, and/or our recruitment team, has to take on one of the world's best poker players, and we've already shown him and the whole footballing world our hand, and the fact is we haven't got a card worth playing, we are desperate. Mr Bloom must be rubbing his hands in anticipation, a potential relegation rival, fast running out of players, wants one of his players, I'll bet he can't wait to chat to our lads. There is the possibility Brighton want to offload Stephens, if so Mr Bloom might be reasonable, if not he has Garlick by the short and curlies.

But that's the position Garlick has put himself in, not very clever really.
    Lastminute.com sinkov. WTF does Rigg do with his days?

We go into the Supermarket at 11.55pm and wait to see what is taken off the shelves because it will be past it's sell by date in 5 minutes.We then make an offer of around 10% of it's value and now and then we get lucky.Sometimes however we have to wait until they close and then go round to the back of the store where the alcoholics,druggies and homeless are waiting to see what's being thrown out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)