+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobby Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Clearly Lampard knows more than me, or any of us, about players, mista...he was bloody awful in the transfer market for us though and now he’s been granted infinite wealth at Chelski who can tell?

The difference between me having an opinion on Evans, or FloJo is that I’ve seen them play regularly. I doubt anyone on here or in Derby has seen much of Duncan or CK-R...yet still they’re quick to form a negative opinion.
    I wouldn't call Wilson Mount or Tomori bloody awful😄

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    I wouldn't call Wilson Mount or Tomori bloody awful��
    Of course not...but then I wouldn’t call them ‘transfers’.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    van Dyke, along with many high quality dutch defenders such as Krol, Koeman, Stam, de Boer, Rijkard, Gullit (latterly) might find the assessment by a "nobody" in EFL terms mnaking such negative aspersions........
    Rijkaard and Gullitt both started out life in MF rather than the back 4/5/however many. You name half a dozen class defenders spread over 50 years or so and think that that trumps a comment on the basic premise that the majority of Dutch club defences are less effective than many L1 defences. That it somehow displays that Dutch club defences must be good because they've produced half a dozen world class defenders over 50 years.....

Demouge was right.

I've been watching Dutch football for 36 years. Each season we see maybe 3 or 4 half decent defences in the Eredivisie. Each season we also see a procession of players go abroad. There are way more failures than sucess stories all over the park, not just in defence. Winston Bogarde anyone?

Im no afficianado of Dutch football, so those are a few names off the top of my head, but can you name more than 6 top quality domestic defenders playing regularly in league 1 in the last 50 years? or evcen, taking the 80% logic, 5?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Im no afficianado of Dutch football, so those are a few names off the top of my head, but can you name more than 6 top quality domestic defenders playing regularly in league 1 in the last 50 years? or evcen, taking the 80% logic, 5?
    Not the point GP and you are, as ever, being awkward for the sheer hell of being awkward. It's about L1 defences being as or more difficult to beat than most Dutch Eredivisie defences. It was defences, not individuals, to which I referred. Stop trying to change the subject.

Not being blessed with the gift of second sight, I wouldn’t know.

He was training with the squad for a while before we offered him a contract, which imo is a good sign. As MA points out he’s extremely experienced and well travelled and you don’t get to represent the likes of the clubs he mentions without being able to play a bit.
    We are obviously no longer in a position to ‘splash the cash’ but other end of career signings, like Ian Taylor and Paul McGrath, worked out well so why shouldn’t CK-R? He might or might not be a prolific goal scorer for us, but if his physical presence troubles defenders it might enable others to thrive.

Either way...what I’m saying, for hopefully the final time, is that, in Duncan and Kazim Richards, we’ve signed players at the beginning and the end of their careers. It helps no one, imo, for Derby ‘fans’ to describe the former as a ‘bin dipping’ scally and the other as some sort of washed up journeyman. Personally I prefer to judge on what I see rather than rumour and innuendo.

You don't need second sight to look at a history which shows a journeyman player, ( rather than be impressed by the clubs he has played for, an astute analysis would be why so many clubs and why so few goals?), someone who isn't a prolific scorer, which is kind of the point of being a striker, who is not just nearing the end of his career but past it! Its a not a question of not splashing the cash, its evidence of desperation after failing to find a replacement striker. Fans are right to be critical, its further evidence of a poor scouting and player acquisition policy.

If he is that good a prospect, how come he was available right at the end of the transfer window? The negative reaction from fans is simply because Derby has done this before, picked up aging players on the cheap who have in the main proven ineffective! Taylor and McGrath were with respect players of proven quality, as indeed is Rooney no comparison to kazim-Richards. I really did think we had progressed past those days but it seems not.

With KR we are talking pure facts, not rumour, Duncan I agree is a different proposition, its worth taking a punt on a young player with potential, maybe the club can develop him, either way its not a recruitment of player to a key position now!

Of course not...but then I wouldn’t call them ‘transfers’.
    Well loans are counted as transfers, whatever you would call them!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Well loans are counted as transfers, whatever you would call them!
    Not sure about that, mista. A new big name manager who borrows players - two thirds of whom just counted as providing first team experience for players from his former and subsequent club - for nine or ten months is a bit different from ‘transfers’ imo. Getting rid of Pearce and Carson(?) and bringing in Evans and, much more expensively, FloJo were not evidence of good transfer dealings...again imo.

Not sure about that, mista. A new big name manager who borrows players - two thirds of whom just counted as providing first team experience for players from his former and subsequent club - for nine or ten months is a bit different from ‘transfers’ imo. Getting rid of Pearce and Carson(?) and bringing in Evans and, much more expensively, FloJo were not evidence of good transfer dealings...again imo.
    Sorry...Swale, not mista. Are we to take it that Marriott has been transferred to Sheffield Wednesday then? I think not.

RA for a start he was not a big name manager it was his first job Those three didn't come free There would definitely be big loan fees ,especially Wilson ,Liverpool give you nothing for free Swansea paid £1.8 million for Brewster last season . Carson is was finished a liability also top earner Pearce can't remember many protests when he went There's not a football manager who hasn't made any bad signings . Even the great Sir Alex admits when Smichal retired he signed nine different keepers spending £32million till he got a good one

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)