Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 120

Thread: Bobby Duncan

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    9,413
    Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    RA for a start he was not a big name manager it was his first job Those three didn't come free There would definitely be big loan fees ,especially Wilson ,Liverpool give you nothing for free Swansea paid £1.8 million for Brewster last season . Carson is was finished a liability also top earner Pearce can't remember many protests when he went There's not a football manager who hasn't made any bad signings . Even the great Sir Alex admits when Smichal retired he signed nine different keepers spending £32million till he got a good one
    Of course he was a ‘big name’, mista. Makes no difference that it was his first job. Why else did we spend the season being called ‘Frank Lampard’s Derby County’?
    I have never disputed that loans aren’t expensive, that’s not the point...the point is...they’re temporary, they aren’t ‘our’ players, although it helps when they’re here for at least two seasons like Clarke.
    As for bad signings (not loans), you’re right no manager makes no bad signings but Lampard, imo, wasn’t good and FloJo, at £2.75m, was an all time bad one.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 28-10-2020 at 07:29 PM.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    3,992
    FloJo for 2.5m still a better buy than Bob Malcolm on a free

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,651
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Of course he was a ‘big name’, mista. Makes no difference that it was his first job. Why else did we spend the season being called ‘Frank Lampard’s Derby County’?
    I have never disputed that loans aren’t expensive, that’s not the point...the point is...they’re temporary, they aren’t ‘our’ players, although it helps when they’re here for at least two seasons like Clarke.
    As for bad signings (not loans), you’re right no manager makes no bad signings but Lampard, imo, wasn’t good and FloJo, at £2.75m, was an all time bad one.
    How can you be a big name manager when it's your first job He might have been a big name player but not manager If your talking of big name managers didn't with have an ex England manager .

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    9,413
    Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    How can you be a big name manager when it's your first job He might have been a big name player but not manager If your talking of big name managers didn't with have an ex England manager .
    He was a manager and he was a big name. In exactly the same way as Gerrard was a ‘big name’ manager even though Rangers was his first job...and please don’t tell me that, two years ago, people were more interested in what Steve McClaren did than how Lampard and Gerrard got on...if you do I’ll just assume that self isolation has tipped you over the edge.

    P.S. How long to go now?

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    17,782
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Sorry...Swale, not mista. Are we to take it that Marriott has been transferred to Sheffield Wednesday then? I think not.
    Ah then I guess loans can be made at any time then? Ooops no only during the transfer window! Granted they may not be permanent, but they often command a fee but they are still transfers!

    Not sure why you consider Frank a big name manager, a big name yes, but his reputation was as a star player as it was his first management role, if or rather as your being a pedant about these things!

    You do seem to ahve a downer on frank for some reason, for a manager who took us to within 1 game of the prem? Mm oh well lets see how far Cocu gets us, though its not likely to be within touching distance of the playoffs!

    As for FloJo, well he was another star player at another club that Derby bought and for whatever reason hasn't proven a success, but then Frank isn't unique in doing that at Derby!

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    9,413
    Pretty pointless argument Swale.
    Whichever way you look at it, loans and transfers are different...probably why they’re called ‘loans’ and ‘transfers’, and if you’ve ever included a personal loan amongst your personal assets I’d suggest you were mistaken.

    As I’ve said, I described Frank as a ‘big name manager’ because he was our manager and he’s one of the biggest names in English football...’big name’ means precisely that...it isn’t a euphemism for ‘experienced’ or ‘proven’ which clearly he wasn’t.

    Again, as I’ve said before, I don’t have a ‘downer’ on Lampard...I just don’t think he did much for us. We achieved marginally more under him than under Rowett or Clement/Wassall in so much as he got us to the Final and the others fell at the semi final hurdle, but did he leave us in good shape and did he do well in the transfer market? In my opinion...no.

    We won’t agree so let’s let it go.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,715
    Totally agree RA. At the end of the day, it was a short term punt that failed. No hard feelings, but just because he was Frank Lampard of Chelsea and England, doesn't mean he was a success at Derby. We're now suffering as a result of his short term punt, and whilst it can never be proven, there is no evidence to suggest that he would have improved things in a second season.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,651
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    He was a manager and he was a big name. In exactly the same way as Gerrard was a ‘big name’ manager even though Rangers was his first job...and please don’t tell me that, two years ago, people were more interested in what Steve McClaren did than how Lampard and Gerrard got on...if you do I’ll just assume that self isolation has tipped you over the edge.

    P.S. How long to go now?
    RA 4days to go the longest 14days of my life . I hate stopping in anytime . We will have to disagree on Lampard suppose it's just the same as now with Wayne Rooneys Derby County . Can't really fathom why you have a downer on Lampard it was bloody sight more interesting than it is now . We've only just changed the way we play because of the player meeting . When Curtis Davies told Cocu he would get us relegated if he didn't change the way we play . As for Lampard leaving us worse off , every manager does that . We should know we're the experts at it You used to rate Lampard once 31-05- 2018 in his appointment you wrote. " Despite is lack of experience Lampard has other qualities and I expect him to be able to attract good players" 😄

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,969
    I wonder how Lamps would have fared with us last season and this had Chelsea not come-a-calling.........

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,651
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I wonder how Lamps would have fared with us last season and this had Chelsea not come-a-calling.........
    MA my guess is we would have more points than 5out of 24 this season

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •