+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobby Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    RA for a start he was not a big name manager it was his first job Those three didn't come free There would definitely be big loan fees ,especially Wilson ,Liverpool give you nothing for free Swansea paid £1.8 million for Brewster last season . Carson is was finished a liability also top earner Pearce can't remember many protests when he went There's not a football manager who hasn't made any bad signings . Even the great Sir Alex admits when Smichal retired he signed nine different keepers spending £32million till he got a good one
    Of course he was a ‘big name’, mista. Makes no difference that it was his first job. Why else did we spend the season being called ‘Frank Lampard’s Derby County’?
    I have never disputed that loans aren’t expensive, that’s not the point...the point is...they’re temporary, they aren’t ‘our’ players, although it helps when they’re here for at least two seasons like Clarke.
    As for bad signings (not loans), you’re right no manager makes no bad signings but Lampard, imo, wasn’t good and FloJo, at £2.75m, was an all time bad one.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 28-10-2020 at 08:29 PM.

FloJo for 2.5m still a better buy than Bob Malcolm on a free

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Of course he was a ‘big name’, mista. Makes no difference that it was his first job. Why else did we spend the season being called ‘Frank Lampard’s Derby County’?
    I have never disputed that loans aren’t expensive, that’s not the point...the point is...they’re temporary, they aren’t ‘our’ players, although it helps when they’re here for at least two seasons like Clarke.
    As for bad signings (not loans), you’re right no manager makes no bad signings but Lampard, imo, wasn’t good and FloJo, at £2.75m, was an all time bad one.
    How can you be a big name manager when it's your first job He might have been a big name player but not manager If your talking of big name managers didn't with have an ex England manager .

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    How can you be a big name manager when it's your first job He might have been a big name player but not manager If your talking of big name managers didn't with have an ex England manager .
    He was a manager and he was a big name. In exactly the same way as Gerrard was a ‘big name’ manager even though Rangers was his first job...and please don’t tell me that, two years ago, people were more interested in what Steve McClaren did than how Lampard and Gerrard got on...if you do I’ll just assume that self isolation has tipped you over the edge.

P.S. How long to go now?

Sorry...Swale, not mista. Are we to take it that Marriott has been transferred to Sheffield Wednesday then? I think not.
    Ah then I guess loans can be made at any time then? Ooops no only during the transfer window! Granted they may not be permanent, but they often command a fee but they are still transfers!

Not sure why you consider Frank a big name manager, a big name yes, but his reputation was as a star player as it was his first management role, if or rather as your being a pedant about these things!

You do seem to ahve a downer on frank for some reason, for a manager who took us to within 1 game of the prem? Mm oh well lets see how far Cocu gets us, though its not likely to be within touching distance of the playoffs!

As for FloJo, well he was another star player at another club that Derby bought and for whatever reason hasn't proven a success, but then Frank isn't unique in doing that at Derby!

Pretty pointless argument Swale.
    Whichever way you look at it, loans and transfers are different...probably why they’re called ‘loans’ and ‘transfers’, and if you’ve ever included a personal loan amongst your personal assets I’d suggest you were mistaken.

As I’ve said, I described Frank as a ‘big name manager’ because he was our manager and he’s one of the biggest names in English football...’big name’ means precisely that...it isn’t a euphemism for ‘experienced’ or ‘proven’ which clearly he wasn’t.

Again, as I’ve said before, I don’t have a ‘downer’ on Lampard...I just don’t think he did much for us. We achieved marginally more under him than under Rowett or Clement/Wassall in so much as he got us to the Final and the others fell at the semi final hurdle, but did he leave us in good shape and did he do well in the transfer market? In my opinion...no.

We won’t agree so let’s let it go.

Totally agree RA. At the end of the day, it was a short term punt that failed. No hard feelings, but just because he was Frank Lampard of Chelsea and England, doesn't mean he was a success at Derby. We're now suffering as a result of his short term punt, and whilst it can never be proven, there is no evidence to suggest that he would have improved things in a second season.

He was a manager and he was a big name. In exactly the same way as Gerrard was a ‘big name’ manager even though Rangers was his first job...and please don’t tell me that, two years ago, people were more interested in what Steve McClaren did than how Lampard and Gerrard got on...if you do I’ll just assume that self isolation has tipped you over the edge.

P.S. How long to go now?
    RA 4days to go the longest 14days of my life . I hate stopping in anytime . We will have to disagree on Lampard suppose it's just the same as now with Wayne Rooneys Derby County . Can't really fathom why you have a downer on Lampard it was bloody sight more interesting than it is now . We've only just changed the way we play because of the player meeting . When Curtis Davies told Cocu he would get us relegated if he didn't change the way we play . As for Lampard leaving us worse off , every manager does that . We should know we're the experts at it You used to rate Lampard once 31-05- 2018 in his appointment you wrote. " Despite is lack of experience Lampard has other qualities and I expect him to be able to attract good players" 😄

I wonder how Lamps would have fared with us last season and this had Chelsea not come-a-calling.........

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I wonder how Lamps would have fared with us last season and this had Chelsea not come-a-calling.........
    MA my guess is we would have more points than 5out of 24 this season

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)