+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why shut pubs at 10pm

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    I no longer travel from Dundee to Islay on a Sunday as the A85 and A82 are mobbed with motor bikers overtaking on blind concerns and thinking that they own the road. Scary stuff.
    It's not only motorbikes Islay. The road was slow on Sunday, stuck at around 50mph behind a tanker, and I was overtaken by five or six lunatics in cars who then cut me and other drivers up trying to avoid death by getting back over. It's Glencoe on a sunny Sunday, just accept that you won't be getting anywhere quickly and enjoy the scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    It's not only motorbikes Islay. The road was slow on Sunday, stuck at around 50mph behind a tanker, and I was overtaken by five or six lunatics in cars who then cut me and other drivers up trying to avoid death by getting back over. It's Glencoe on a sunny Sunday, just accept that you won't be getting anywhere quickly and enjoy the scenery.
    I agree with you.
    The road was probably busier than usual because the A83 at the Rest and be Thankful is still closed with traffic having to divert via the A82 and A85 to get to Inverary and beyond.
    The A85 is a dangerous road and there is always one lunatic car driver who is in a hurry to overtake and then force his way back into the line of traffic.
    The obvious solution was for the tanker driver to pull into the first lay-by to let the line of traffic behind him get past.
    Sadly this rarely happens.
    Last edited by islaydarkblue; 23-09-2020 at 05:13 PM.

I agree with you.
    The road was probably busier than usual because the A83 at the Rest and be Thankful is still closed with traffic having to divert via the A82 and A85 to get to Inverary and beyond.
    The A85 is a dangerous road and there is always one lunatic car driver who is in a hurry to overtake and then force his way back into the line of traffic.
    The obvious solution was for the tanker driver to pull into the first lay-by to let the line of traffic behind him get past.
    Sadly this rarely happens.
    Wee project for you Islay, comments required on the options for re-routing / improving the A83 at Rest And Be Thankful.

https://www.transport.gov.scot/publi...-and-bute-a83/

Wee project for you Islay, comments required on the options for re-routing / improving the A83 at Rest And Be Thankful.

https://www.transport.gov.scot/publi...-and-bute-a83/
    I have already posted the following suggestion on the Islay Community Noticeboard Facebook Group which is a closed site and only one local Islay resident posted his objection to my post. Some of the local residents on Islay cannot see the big picture as they are very parochial.
    My suggestion is that the A82 is made into a dual carriageway where possible from the Stoneymollan Roundabout at the turn off to Balloch to Tarbet. From Tarbet to Ardlui the A82 must be brought up to 21st Century standards. At present it is a shocking stretch of road with hairpin bends. It is like driving in a 3rd world country. The Scottish Parliament who have been responsible for roads throughout Scotland since 1999 and have done very little to improve this stretch of their trunk road network. From Ardlui to Crianlarich the road greatly improves and it should be made a dual carriageway. From Crianlarich to Tyndrum again there is plenty of room to make this stretch of road a dual carriageway with a bypass of Tyndrum. The A85 from Tyndrum to Oban should be made a dual carriageway where possible. The A816 from Oban to Lochgilphead should be given trunk road status which would result in the road from Oban to Campbeltown having trunk road status. At present the A816 from Oban to Lochgilphead is classed as a tourist route and it is maintained by Argyll and Bute Council. This is another dangerous road which is used by HGVs, vans and people travelling between Lochgilphead and Oban in addition to tourists.
    In September 2018 I had to travel to the hospital in Oban for an appointment. I drove on this road for the first time since 1985 and I was shocked how difficult it was driving on it. I was wrecked by the time we got to Oban. My wife is not a good passenger which does not help matters.
    In my opinion Transport Scotland should give up wasting hundreds of thousands of pounds every time there is a landslide on the A83 at the Rest and be Thankful and permanently close the road including the Old Military Road as it is only going to get worse as the hillside becomes more and more unstable.
    In my opinion the biggest mistake that the ‘powers that be’ made was stopping sheep grazing on the hills above the A83 at the Rest and be Thankful.
    You may remember that in August 2004 there was a major landslide on the A85 at Glen Ogil which was featured on the Tv programme 999 Rescue on BBC1 as a result of a car being swept away during the landslide. The same torrential rain in August 2004 caused a landslide at the Rest and be Thankful resulting in the continuing ongoing problems.
    Work to resolve the problem was undertaken at the A85 at Glen Ogil and there has never been any further landslides. Sheep still graze on the hills above the A85 at Glen Ogil.
    About five years ago I read on the internet a lavish report produced by Transport Scotland into the ongoing problems at the Rest and be Thankful and the different solutions to resolve the problem. Needless to say nothing has been done as successive Scottish Government Transport ministers ‘kick the can down the road’ and hope that the problem does not happen again.
    I also posted how the Islay ferry sailings could be improved to deal my suggestion.
    The person who objected to my post said that my solution made it quicker to get from Oban to Dundee but at present people from Islay are having to make a huge detour from Inverary to Tarbet via Dalmally, Tyndrum, Crianlarich and Ardlui.
    There are no dual carriageway roads in the whole of the Argyll and Bute Council area.

I have already posted the following suggestion on the Islay Community Noticeboard Facebook Group which is a closed site and only one local Islay resident posted his objection to my post. Some of the local residents on Islay cannot see the big picture as they are very parochial.
    My suggestion is that the A82 is made into a dual carriageway where possible from the Stoneymollan Roundabout at the turn off to Balloch to Tarbet. From Tarbet to Ardlui the A82 must be brought up to 21st Century standards. At present it is a shocking stretch of road with hairpin bends. It is like driving in a 3rd world country. The Scottish Parliament who have been responsible for roads throughout Scotland since 1999 and have done very little to improve this stretch of their trunk road network. From Ardlui to Crianlarich the road greatly improves and it should be made a dual carriageway. From Crianlarich to Tyndrum again there is plenty of room to make this stretch of road a dual carriageway with a bypass of Tyndrum. The A85 from Tyndrum to Oban should be made a dual carriageway where possible. The A816 from Oban to Lochgilphead should be given trunk road status which would result in the road from Oban to Campbeltown having trunk road status. At present the A816 from Oban to Lochgilphead is classed as a tourist route and it is maintained by Argyll and Bute Council. This is another dangerous road which is used by HGVs, vans and people travelling between Lochgilphead and Oban in addition to tourists.
    In September 2018 I had to travel to the hospital in Oban for an appointment. I drove on this road for the first time since 1985 and I was shocked how difficult it was driving on it. I was wrecked by the time we got to Oban. My wife is not a good passenger which does not help matters.
    In my opinion Transport Scotland should give up wasting hundreds of thousands of pounds every time there is a landslide on the A83 at the Rest and be Thankful and permanently close the road including the Old Military Road as it is only going to get worse as the hillside becomes more and more unstable.
    In my opinion the biggest mistake that the ‘powers that be’ made was stopping sheep grazing on the hills above the A83 at the Rest and be Thankful.
    You may remember that in August 2004 there was a major landslide on the A85 at Glen Ogil which was featured on the Tv programme 999 Rescue on BBC1 as a result of a car being swept away during the landslide. The same torrential rain in August 2004 caused a landslide at the Rest and be Thankful resulting in the continuing ongoing problems.
    Work to resolve the problem was undertaken at the A85 at Glen Ogil and there has never been any further landslides. Sheep still graze on the hills above the A85 at Glen Ogil.
    About five years ago I read on the internet a lavish report produced by Transport Scotland into the ongoing problems at the Rest and be Thankful and the different solutions to resolve the problem. Needless to say nothing has been done as successive Scottish Government Transport ministers ‘kick the can down the road’ and hope that the problem does not happen again.
    I also posted how the Islay ferry sailings could be improved to deal my suggestion.
    The person who objected to my post said that my solution made it quicker to get from Oban to Dundee but at present people from Islay are having to make a huge detour from Inverary to Tarbet via Dalmally, Tyndrum, Crianlarich and Ardlui.
    There are no dual carriageway roads in the whole of the Argyll and Bute Council area.
    So which of the 11 realistic and viable options presented does that support?

So which of the 11 realistic and viable options presented does that support?
    Hi Deeranged.
    In my opinion none of these options are viable or realistic as they would either involve cutting through high hills or constructing bridges which will be a similar length to the Forth Road Bridge and on one route longer than the Tay Road Bridge.
    Someone on a local Facebook site suggested putting a road on stilts along the route of the Old Military Road. That would cost a fortune plus there is no guarantee that future landslides on the Rest and be Thankful would not slide down the hillside and damage the supports of the this new road. This ‘bridge’ would have to ce closed during windy weather as the route is through a wind tunnel with high hills on both sides.
    These 11 routes have been selected using a ‘desk top’ exercise and looking at maps. The ‘experts’ need to go and see the problems for themselves.
    Some of these proposed routes have as much chance of being constructed as the rail link from Leuchars to St Andrews.
    In my opinion my suggested route is a much more viable option as it would greatly improve sections of the A85 and A82 which ate also used by other road users. The main road from Oban to Lochgilphead would gain trunk road status.
    To put things into perspective. Lochgilphead has a population of 2,500 whilst Oban has a population of 8,500. Several ferry routes depart from Oban and it is a busy place.
    Oban has a Tesco, Aldi, Lidl and M and S food store. Lochgilphead has a Co-op!

Hi Deeranged.
    In my opinion none of these options are viable or realistic as they would either involve cutting through high hills or constructing bridges which will be a similar length to the Forth Road Bridge and on one route longer than the Tay Road Bridge.
    Someone on a local Facebook site suggested putting a road on stilts along the route of the Old Military Road. That would cost a fortune plus there is no guarantee that future landslides on the Rest and be Thankful would not slide down the hillside and damage the supports of the this new road. This ‘bridge’ would have to ce closed during windy weather as the route is through a wind tunnel with high hills on both sides.
    These 11 routes have been selected using a ‘desk top’ exercise and looking at maps. The ‘experts’ need to go and see the problems for themselves.
    Some of these proposed routes have as much chance of being constructed as the rail link from Leuchars to St Andrews.
    In my opinion my suggested route is a much more viable option as it would greatly improve sections of the A85 and A82 which ate also used by other road users. The main road from Oban to Lochgilphead would gain trunk road status.
    To put things into perspective. Lochgilphead has a population of 2,500 whilst Oban has a population of 8,500. Several ferry routes depart from Oban and it is a busy place.
    Oban has a Tesco, Aldi, Lidl and M and S food store. Lochgilphead has a Co-op!
    So your opinion's more correct than the proposals that have come out of multiple studies by qualified experts including Civil Engineers, Road Construction Engineers and Geologists?

What soil sampling and sample drills have you carried out? Can you post up your detailed CAD model? How will you carry out the piling you're going to need? Can you confirm the rock types you'll confront in your preferred option? Or have you based your proposal solely on what would suit you and on general demographics and assumed that nothing technical really matters?

Any idea why there have been loads of people in hard hats and yellow jackets prowling these roads for several years if all they've done is a desk top review and looked at a map?
    Last edited by Deeranged; 24-09-2020 at 10:47 AM.

So your opinion's more correct than the proposals that have come out of multiple studies by qualified experts including Civil Engineers, Road Construction Engineers and Geologists?

What soil sampling and sample drills have you carried out? Can you post up your detailed CAD model? How will you carry out the piling you're going to need? Can you confirm the rock types you'll confront in your preferred option? Or have you based your proposal solely on what would suit you and on general demographics and assumed that nothing technical really matters?

Any idea why there have been loads of people in hard hats and yellow jackets prowling these roads for several years if all they've done is a desk top review and looked at a map?
    If only Giophanny was around, we could have had a phone in poll to pick the best option.

Don't spoil an interesting discussion by using facts!

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Don't spoil an interesting discussion by using facts!
    Apologies, one of my few weaknesses.

For 'few' read 'many'.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)