+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs. Harrogate Town 22.09.20 [FAT SF]

Really like Rodrigues though.

Second best all over the park. The defence did OK until conceding that horrible goal from a long set-piece. Reeves has had some nice touches, Rodriguez too, but we still can’t handle it when a team presses - not helped by the fact that they’re more match fit. They also move the ball so much better than us. Only plus is that it easily could have been 2 or 3-0.

Harrogate took back our arses which they handed to us a few weeks ago but they’re now giving us them back again.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    He needs to get Roberts wide in this central role he hasnt got the space he usually gets.

Harrogate are sharper than us and deserve to be winning but that is to be expected really.
    Is it to be expected tho?

OK, I know we are a team in transition but most of us are hoping to win the League this year. We don't look like that at the moment.

Thing is Ardley knew exactly how they would play against us and has done nothing to disrupt it. They are all over us just like they were at Wembley.

Said it before and I'll say it again...we are going absolutely nowhere with him in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    TBF assuming we get to start the season we won’t be playing many teams like Harrogate, they’re riding high on confidence and it shows. I’m sure against an Altrincham or Eastleigh etc we would have had much more of the game. Maybe the thread should be moved to the High Press thread because that’s what we are having to deal with. Needs to get Thomas off, Enzio on and get him and Roberts out wide for the second half.

I'd go with that

Yep, all over us like a cheap suit whenever we're in possession

Has to be a better 2nd half.

Just like at Wembley a dire first half, the only positive is that we are just one goal down. I don't buy into this bollox that Harrogate are weeks ahead of us in terms of fitness, we haven't managed a worthwhile attack as the home team in 45 minutes!!! If this is Ardley's preferred team and formation, it just isn't working. I accept the opposition are probably as strong as we will face in the coming season, but they're not Liverpool FFS. Have a go at them, throw a few players forward and we might realise we're playing Harrogate Town at home. There is still time to turn it around, but we won't do it playing this way. I am still hopeful, but Ardley more than the players needs to show his worth in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    We also have no width. Rodrigues should be the number 10 and Cal needs to be back out wide.
    In other words a 4-2-3-1.

In the past I've not been a fan of that formation, mainly because the players we deployed in the attacking three behind the striker were not capable of scoring enough goals. Keith Curle's teams had that problem, and even Arquin up front wasn't prolific.

If you're going to play one up front then your attacking midfielders must carry a goal threat too, which the likes of Roberts, Rodrigues and Boldewijn do, so it could work.

If Ardley's intention is to play variations of 4-4-2, be it flat or a diamond, then he's signed the wrong type of player based on what I've seen so far. For starters you need two real midfield workhorse ball-winners a la Bishop and Ravenhill who can win a battle even against teams that have three in midfield. I don't think any of our midfielders look robust enough for that job, apart maybe from O'Brien who isn't playing.
    Last edited by jackal2; 22-09-2020 at 07:49 PM.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast