+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs. Harrogate Town 22.09.20 [FAT SF]

Fair comment, enjoy the rest of your evening.
    Last edited by Killerkline; 23-09-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Posted in error

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    You are quite right with the first bit, it's all about opinions and views and all should be respected. We seem to differ on the rest though. Where you saw a question mark for the relegation season, I saw a big minus sign. Your tick for last season would be an equal sign for me. On that basis, I suppose you could make a case for improvement, so let's hope this season if it happens is an unquestionable plus sign for all of us.
    Fair comment, enjoy the rest of your evening

Quote Originally Posted by Killerkline View Post
    I’m not trying to turn it into a plus point and I’m not trying to convince anyone else.

I’ve stated that they were pulling in the same direction.

What I will suggest is that it’s not inconceivable that Campbell turned a negative into a positive and used it to is advantage.
    That's quite believable because that's what good managers do. Bad ones reach for the excuse book.
    Last edited by countygump; 23-09-2020 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerkline View Post
    Look, we all have our own views and opinions. I respect this.

My view is that Ardley wasn’t solely responsible for our relegation

I think everybody would agree on that, but it's true for all manager's that have failed, there's always other factors involved.

Walker, Dearden, Derry and Allen were all able to deal with whatever was going on at the time they arrived, the toxic atmospheres, protests against the chairman (including Pavis), transfer embargos, or whatever. Ardley, as with Barker, Slade and Mills, was unable to do that, but unlike them- due to other odd factors - he's still in the job.

Done to death, time after time.

Can't we just move on and get behind the team now? Neal Ardley is the manager, there's a new season starting hopefully. We have some depth, but am concerned that we haven't replaced our most natural striker (Dennis) but I hope that can be overcome.

Anything less than promotion will be failure, although I would probably excuse a play-off final loss if we had given it 100%.

Pvo?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    ... Macclesfield players said during a meeting with representatives from the EFL and Professional Footballers' Association on Friday they would not play in protest over unpaid wages. They added their emotional and mental wellbeing was at "rock bottom".[/I]

The last bit was put in bold type by me, just to prove that you are way off the mark.
    Poor snowflakes.

Is BOLD better, worse or the same as FACT ?

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    That's quite believable because that's what good managers do. Bad ones reach for the excuse book.
    Would any of us prefer Campbell to Ardley as our manager at the start of this season? I wouldn’t, I value long term commitment.

To clarify what I was saying about Sirrel:

Ardley has four promotions (and no more relegations) to go before he is on the same level as Sirrel. My point was that our best ever manager had bad matches. He was a great manager all the same. Ardley having a bad match neither proves he is a bad manager nor in itself means he is not a good manager. Last season would have been a minor triumph if we had won the playoff final. We fell short. Over the whole (80% or whatever) season Barrow and Harrogate did better. It was still a good season for us.

When Derby County won the first division title, they did so because a couple of other teams had bad results on the final day. Were those teams’ managers rubbish because of that?

Sol "the curse" Campbell, managed Macclesfield and Southend United both subsequently relegated after he worked his miracles.

Bring back Sol.

Quote Originally Posted by applepie View Post
    Would any of us prefer Campbell to Ardley as our manager at the start of this season? I wouldn’t, I value long term commitment.

To clarify what I was saying about Sirrel:

Ardley has four promotions (and no more relegations) to go before he is on the same level as Sirrel. My point was that our best ever manager had bad matches. He was a great manager all the same. Ardley having a bad match neither proves he is a bad manager nor in itself means he is not a good manager. Last season would have been a minor triumph if we had won the playoff final. We fell short. Over the whole (80% or whatever) season Barrow and Harrogate did better. It was still a good season for us.

When Derby County won the first division title, they did so because a couple of other teams had bad results on the final day. Were those teams’ managers rubbish because of that?
    So you've backed up on comparing Ardley with Sirrel, but are now comparing Ardley with managers who had (by 1972) taken their clubs from 2nd tier obscurity to top flight league championship titles and winning FA Cups (in Revie;s case, he won the FA Cup for Leeds for the first time that same month).

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast