+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Penalties in the Premiership.

VAR in the French Ligue 1 is now in season three - the delays are fewer and incidents reviewed now are more obvious.
    But areas still need improving on handballs and offsides but as in PL that reflects the weakness of the current game law and VAR today is exposing 'how bad' those laws actually are,particularly handball which now has so many crazy interpretations.

PL teams (for me) this season don't appear to be as strong defensively with a reluctance for individuals to tackle which could see us making more of an impact with our 'Cavaliers' approach and off ball running.

Personally,the longer it goes on without crowds being present the PL presentation in whatever gizmo format is neutralising my weekly raw yearning of a 'Leeds Utd fix' that I got week in over the decades watching with my friends.To date I've only viewed the TV highlights and am pleased with the results and how we maximise time with pace via disciplined team performance - as ever still positive but mmmm.

MOT

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Even better if they lose, which they seem to be doing!
    Watched the whole of the "****ty vs Leicester" game (my girls bought me a Sky Sports subscription, bless 'em!), and OMG is Vardy always that good (on ir off the ball)?

The second goal was just unreal, gentle edge of the heel and in it goes. He needs to be stopped or he will score.

Watched MOTD2, and kind of reassured by what was being said about the penalties and how they came about and their impact on the game, at least insofar as there are those who are independent and able to say how insane the new interpretation of an existing rule happens to be.

Vardy shows what constant working at your game can do - turned into a top top player over the last few seasons. Seems to have great awareness.

Linked with another left-footed player in Cuisance - anyone know if Bielsa has this in the Bielsaball manual as part of the masterplan?

Quote Originally Posted by Jezleeds View Post
    Linked with another left-footed player in Cuisance - anyone know if Bielsa has this in the Bielsaball manual as part of the masterplan?
    Who do we have who is left footed? Harrison, Bamford, Costa, Roberts, Alioski, Douglas, Meslier, Cooper. You might be on to something there, Jez. Most of these players were brought into the team/club by Bielsa.

Think the penalties are a desire to get more scoring into the game. The VAR just acts as a tool to give most of the calls to the offense. suspec the refs have been advised to give anything close to the offense. The opposite of offside which was always called in favor of the defense if close.

This is FIFA after all.

I think it's a crock but it won't be long before the coaches and players start drawing up plays to create the penalties. They've already started feeding the ball more into the box than I can recall looking for the errant hand ball.

Stateside here we have a tradition at the high school level called "powderpuff football". it's throwball and it's 16-18 year old girls playing flag football (no contact tackling). The prem will start looking like that in the 18 yard box over time. The defenders will have to start playing like a powder puff girls

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie7 View Post
    Who do we have who is left footed? Harrison, Bamford, Costa, Roberts, Alioski, Douglas, Meslier, Cooper. You might be on to something there, Jez. Most of these players were brought into the team/club by Bielsa.

Last couple of seasons watching our tactical moves nobody takes more than two touches so the ball is constantly in motion and everything just looks so smooth in that all moves start with Bamfords off ball running and often ends with him trying to put away created chances.

Left foot or right foot preference goes out the window,IMO.

https://breakingthelines.com/tactica...bielsas-leeds/

MOT

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie7 View Post
    It's certainly an unusually high percentage - my brother pointed it out during the penalties in the cup match. First six were all lefties.

Probably gives a certain advantage in the sense that most players would expect the opposition to be mainly right-footed.

A bit like left handers in boxing - same skills, just gives the other person something different to think about.

Boxing - Keeping your opponents on the defensive and wary of your knockout power which can be delivered with either fist is a stark advantage in competition.

Like tennis,footwork & stance creates time to how you want to 'play the ball' delivered.

Football being a team game tactically can deliver the ball to optimise players strengths.

The southpaw stance in Boxing is when a naturally leftie boxer uses the right hand as the lead punch or the jab with the straight left hand as the obvious power shot. This is the complete opposite of the orthodox stance which has the left foot forward and the right foot back. Normally, boxers are initially taught to follow their dominant hand and use that as the power shot but not always to get results.

But there exists another option. Even if you are a left handed fighter you may choose to remain in the orthodox stance. There are a handful of reasons for doing this mainly 'tho the reason is to gain power in both fists as well as stifling opponents with powerful left jabs before releasing the ko left.

I am naturally left handed but boxed in the orthodox stance but play tennis with my right hand as it gives more control but serve with my left for power so my footwork compensates to utilise my strengths (hopefully).Bit like languages as after practice your brain automatically thinks & speaks what words you know and what sequence order they come out as.

Probably 'Bollux' but patience,time and practice with constant drilling all become second nature in Football,Boxing,Tennis,Languages in time,IMO but under pressure obviously mistakes will happen such is life.

Pressure creates mistakes is Bielsa's mantra but to capitalise who for instance would Leeds fans want as our penalty taker as mentality/pressure would override a lot of the above drilled scenarios in actual real time would it not ?

MOT

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)