+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: protest against covid restrictions

I don’t think that people are being asked to put up with ‘minor inconveniences’, their, jobs, livelihoods and lifestyles are at stake. We should, of course, be doing all we can to minimise the risks to people, especially the vulnerable, and owing to my age I am in the vulnerable category! The government’s performance, though, has been woeful, the failure to put an effective test and trace system in place is, in my view, criminally negligent; what the hell is Dildo Harding doing for her undoubtedly huge salary? Surely there must be data relating to those who have suffered worst as a result of contracting C-19? Could it be possible to structure restrictions based on actual numbers of the various groups in society? I am not going against the regulations because I don’t have the information to refute what is being put out by the government but I am really brassed off with having my life disrupted, many of the things I enjoy have been taken away. I would accept it more readily (even stricter measures, maybe) if I believed that the government had a clue what they were doing. A sad fact is, though, that there isn’t another political party that has the faintest idea what to do, either! An example of the stupidity is the pub situation, shutting them at 10pm seems to be odd logic, people will go out earlier, like I will be tomorrow evening. If people going to pubs is a major problem, then close them. I expect that will happen in the near future; another of life’s little pleasures denied. At least we’ll all be safe, well, just be careful crossing the road.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    I don’t think that people are being asked to put up with ‘minor inconveniences’, their, jobs, livelihoods and lifestyles are at stake. We should, of course, be doing all we can to minimise the risks to people, especially the vulnerable, and owing to my age I am in the vulnerable category! The government’s performance, though, has been woeful, the failure to put an effective test and trace system in place is, in my view, criminally negligent; what the hell is Dildo Harding doing for her undoubtedly huge salary? Surely there must be data relating to those who have suffered worst as a result of contracting C-19? Could it be possible to structure restrictions based on actual numbers of the various groups in society? I am not going against the regulations because I don’t have the information to refute what is being put out by the government but I am really brassed off with having my life disrupted, many of the things I enjoy have been taken away. I would accept it more readily (even stricter measures, maybe) if I believed that the government had a clue what they were doing. A sad fact is, though, that there isn’t another political party that has the faintest idea what to do, either! An example of the stupidity is the pub situation, shutting them at 10pm seems to be odd logic, people will go out earlier, like I will be tomorrow evening. If people going to pubs is a major problem, then close them. I expect that will happen in the near future; another of life’s little pleasures denied. At least we’ll all be safe, well, just be careful crossing the road.
    Minor inconveniences is perhaps the wrong phraseology. Many have suffered a detriment as a result of this virus. But lifestyles will return, as will the economy and jobs. I don’t envy those with businesses mind. But you can understand how lives and quality of lives takes precedent. I don’t think anyone should be taking the attitude like the OP suggesting that it’s ignored due it only being those who are elderly or those already with health issues.

I don’t get the 10pm curfew either to be honest but I guess they are trying to curtail some of the incidents that have occurred such as the Bolton pub crawler that spreaded the virus to many people. Or the kebab house that was fined for having about 30 people in it.
    This can still happen of course before 10pm but maybe it’s easier to police...not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    I don’t disagree with most of what you’ve said here. Most seem to think we have to keep the economy moving as a priority and that the government could and should have done much much better.

The thread itself though is about protest. ‘Minor inconvenience’ I think in the context of the thread is about people’s civil liberties and the right to protest and not the loss of jobs and livelihoods which is a real issue for too many

I’m quite shocked that a few seem to hold the elderly in such contempt casually marking them down as statistics or cannon fodder as long as they’re right to protest or go about normal life isn’t curtailed

It’s pretty hard to argue that if you attend mass gatherings, the risk of taking the virus back in to your community is significant. I’d say that’s a minor inconvenience, the temporary right not to protest at a mass gathering

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    The government have said all along that they intend to keep this below a level that the NHS can cope with. I work for a hospital that was badly hit, they barely coped. If this spread exponentially and to a point that no ITU spaces remain for anyone, Covid-19 or otherwise, many will die. Simple. 41,000 with restrictions and only in its opening stages - that’s a stat you should be reading. This isn’t hard to understand.

You read these figures like they are nothing. Median age of 81...’f*ck it it’s only the elderly‘. A generation ago people fought and died for our lives; they had no liberties. We are asked to make a minor inconvenience and the selfish snowflakes are out in force ignoring the rules with their petitions that will make no difference.

It’s not acceptable to challenge rules where the alternative is to allow a portion of society to die before their time, an awful death on their own.
    "Die before their time" !!!!!!

When exactly is that?- doesn't appear to apply to cancer deaths , heart attacks , suicides there have been,,,,, were they before their time?

That's me done with this data pitch- I'll leave you all to your anecdotes-

Quote Originally Posted by bordering View Post
    "Die before their time" !!!!!!

When exactly is that?- doesn't appear to apply to cancer deaths , heart attacks , suicides there have been,,,,, were they before their time?

That's me done with this data pitch- I'll leave you all to your anecdotes-
    Yes as in they weren’t going to die, but they caught a deadly disease and did so. Not sure why that’s difficult for you to comprehend.

Good I’m glad you’re going. What did Mark Twain say about not arguing with an idiot...?

I can survive if my livelihood if destroyed… which is fast becoming a reality.
    However I don’t want to gamble with my life. Having survived phenomena in 2010 I don’t fancy my chances now I’m 10 years old. I’m just 60 and in very good heath but it almost killed me before and at the time I was still a regular at the local running club doing 20-50 miles a week.
    So to all you selfish I’m alright jacks, sceptics and contrary know it all’s go and take a walk off the edge of the flat earth you live on !
    Virtually every government on the planet has adopted the same stance. All the major powers are in unison with this. So you either have to accept the logic that for once they all agree or there really are reptiles from outer space controlling us.
    BTW this wave is a slightly different strain and is more contagious ….

I can survive if my livelihood if destroyed… which is fast becoming a reality.
    However I don’t want to gamble with my life. Having survived phenomena in 2010 I don’t fancy my chances now I’m 10 years older

. I’m just 60 and in very good heath but it almost killed me before and at the time I was still a regular at the local running club doing 20-50 miles a week.
    So to all you selfish I’m alright jacks, sceptics and contrary know it all’s go and take a walk off the edge of the flat earth you live on !
    Virtually every government on the planet has adopted the same stance. All the major powers are in unison with this. So you either have to accept the logic that for once they all agree or there really are reptiles from outer space controlling us.
    BTW this wave is a slightly different strain and is more contagious ….

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    Yes as in they weren’t going to die, but they caught a deadly disease and did so. Not sure why that’s difficult for you to comprehend.

Good I’m glad you’re going. What did Mark Twain say about not arguing with an idiot...?
    I think he also said " it is easier to fool people than it is for them to admit they were fooled"

BTW......

!] Patrick Vallance has £5m shares in Glaxo- Kline who are trying to make a vaccine - a conflict of interest !!!

2] Dominic Raab admits on sky news that only 7% of tests are effective/give true result @ airports - are airports any different to other locations?

But I'll leave you to your pursuit of immortality ........ the median age of death with Covid is 81 and in general it is 86 for men- enjoy those final fun filled 5 years

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)