+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Threeed - Sporting Covid v AFC

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    I think it's early days but they are tracking back a lot as that's the preferred McInnes system. McGinn never got credit for the work he used to do defensively.

Hedges and Wright I'm not sure are that good and Cosgrove is a good striker ruined by having the ball launched up to him. Rooney had the same issues. Watkins is pretty good at exactly what McInnes wants.
    Rooney and Cosgrove are good strikers in they are goal scorers but their general link up play is poor.

Ideally you want a striker who can do both but they cost a lot of money.

The game was as dull as dishwater. There was an opportunity to go at a team that were ill prepared and were always going to tire as the match went on due to lack of match fitness. And that's exactly what happened eventually. That Coates was out on his feet near the end.

However, if we had been prepared to play a high energy, high tempo match it would have happened a lot quicker than it did. McInnes though, in his negative wisdom, had us sitting back deep soaking up pressure and completely toothless as an attacking force.

I'm fed up with it. We're doomed to be in this cycle of 3rd round Qualifying failure, 3rd or 4th place finishes in the league and the latter stages of the domestic cups without winning them. We seem very rarely able to take the scalp of a bigger team, if it happens then it's because of failures in the opposition a la the semi-final at Hampden against Sevco, rather than our tactical nous. Perhaps Celtic in the Scottish Cup at Parkhead was the exception to the rule but we still managed to lose to St Johnstone in the semis.

We're perennial losers and it's not helped by Cormack selling our central defender a few days before our biggest game of the season. It could've waited a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    The game was as dull as dishwater. There was an opportunity to go at a team that were ill prepared and were always going to tire as the match went on due to lack of match fitness. And that's exactly what happened eventually. That Coates was out on his feet near the end.

However, if we had been prepared to play a high energy, high tempo match it would have happened a lot quicker than it did. McInnes though, in his negative wisdom, had us sitting back deep soaking up pressure and completely toothless as an attacking force.

I'm fed up with it. We're doomed to be in this cycle of 3rd round Qualifying failure, 3rd or 4th place finishes in the league and the latter stages of the domestic cups without winning them. We seem very rarely able to take the scalp of a bigger team, if it happens then it's because of failures in the opposition a la the semi-final at Hampden against Sevco, rather than our tactical nous. Perhaps Celtic in the Scottish Cup at Parkhead was the exception to the rule but we still managed to lose to St Johnstone in the semis.

We're perennial losers and it's not helped by Cormack selling our central defender a few days before our biggest game of the season. It could've waited a few days.
    Hard to argue with any of that . There seems to be an acceptance that a Q3 exit against a higher ranked opponent is a decent enough run.
    It’s unbelievable really that we’ve had 6 or 7 opportunities to progress to the play off round, and give ourselves that chance of the group stages,but we’ve failed in every attempt .
    Jimmy Calderwood did it the first time of asking .......

How many games did Calderwood have to win to get into the group stages?

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    How many games did Calderwood have to win to get into the group stages?
    Aye aye i ken it was only a one off 2 legged tie back then but after 6 or 7 times you’d have thought we might have got past the 3rd round just the once .

McInnes disna hae the luxury o being able to call on a striker wi the quality, influence, or ability to score bullet heiders in euro away games, as Darren Mackie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
    McInnes disna hae the luxury o being able to call on a striker wi the quality, influence, or ability to score bullet heiders in euro away games, as Darren Mackie.
    Well that is true , Mackie was a lethal goal scorer in Europe....
    In all seriousness though, McInnes has had far more resources available to him than JC ever had . Different times and competition etc but still quite shocking when you think Calderwood actually got us through the groups and into knock out stage in his only attempt at Europe with us. McInnes has fell at the same qualifying hurdle every season for 7 years ( bar 2018 when we went out straight away to Burnley)

Quote Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post

Quote Originally Posted by pieandbovrilman View Post
    Aye aye i ken it was only a one off 2 legged tie back then but after 6 or 7 times you’d have thought we might have got past the 3rd round just the once .
    I reckon that Dnipro side were as good as the Rijeka team we knocked out in 2015, possibly Groningen were as good as them too.

I’m not happy with never getting passed the 3rd qualifying round every year, I think it just shows how pish Scottish football is.

It’s why we and other non cheek teams never get into the group stages and why the national team never qualifies for tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    I reckon that Dnipro side were as good as the Rijeka team we knocked out in 2015, possibly Groningen were as good as them too.

I’m not happy with never getting passed the 3rd qualifying round every year, I think it just shows how pish Scottish football is.

It’s why we and other non cheek teams never get into the group stages and why the national team never qualifies for tournaments.
    There's no excuse for not being as sharp and there's no excuse for being naïve like we were at times last night.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast