+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 139 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: THE Ardley In/Out Thread [Multiple threads merged]

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Not seen POM for years. Praps he moved away? Used to see him on a regular basis at matches as he always sat in the lower Kop.
    I speak to him now & again, he lives in Cornwall nowadays still writing his Poetry and taking some great pictures of Cornwall is Rob.
    Before you ask, Once a Pie Always a Pie.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Speaking of not seeing Pom anyone know what's happened to Joe/Soccerman?
    Hi mate, Joe is A Ok speak to him every week I will tell him you asked after him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    I speak to him now & again, he lives in Cornwall nowadays still writing his Poetry and taking some great pictures of Cornwall is Rob.
    Before you ask, Once a Pie Always a Pie.
    Not tempted to convert to a Pastie then?

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    And that right there is the mixture of unrealistic expectation and arrogance that too many of our fans suffer from.
    Every human being in every walk of life will have an off day. And collectively in that play off final, it was ours. I saw nothing in that game that suggested the tactics were wrong. We lost because of individual errors and players not at there best. It was in stark contrast to just a week before where we cruised past Barnet with exactly the same players.
    And why shouldn’t we lose to a team like Harrogate? Because we have a 20k stadium? Because we won the FA. Cup 300 years ago? Harrogate have a good team. They deservedly went up and hammered Tranmere 4-0 in there first game.
    And if it’s purely down to Roberts why we finished third rather than bottom half as you predicted, then well done to Ardley for signing him and making him have such an unbelievable impact. Xxx
    Over achieving and under achieving are fundamental concepts in football, nothing to do with arrogance.

Arrogance comes in to play with supporters who have absolute certainty that everything within the club is is just fine and dandy and that they will get promoted or win the league.

Humility among a support base would be those fans that question the above attitude and seek to identify the weak links.

Ardley basically said post match at Wembley that the players didn't implement the game plan, they didn't listen to him.
    Harrogate are a good side, maybe it's because they have a better manager.

Maybe they have. They did finish above Notts in the league after all. Comfortably outperformed us at Wembley . Started their L2 campaign very impressively, and as expected beat us in the FA Trophy as they had some competitive games under their belt.

Yet some fans expected because its only Harrogate, we should be beating teams like Harrogate they aren't a big name after all. Read it dozens and dozens of times before , just insert a different team name who we should be beating based on history and name. That's another form of (misplaced) arrogance, I'm sure you've spotted it yourself.

It's been a very very rare event that we've had the best of even one of the best managers in our respective league at the time. Last season was no different.

Sorry but this we all expect to beat teams cause of our name is a myth. I expect us to beat teams like Boreham Wood and Solihull because we have a higher level of investment than them, a supposed league class manager, better players, better training facilitates and great ground to play at. Even Chicksen said the set up was better than some league 1 clubs so no it's not on name alone, it's on the fact that everything is put in place to beat the teams in this league. Harrogate though have had their manager a long time and he's built them up well so were ahead of us in alot of ways.

Can we put this thread to bed anyway cause sacking the manager after a 1-0 loss to a team higher up and match fitter plus before the league has even kicked off is complete nonsense. 10 - 15 games in and doing nothing special then might be more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Sorry but this we all expect to beat teams cause of our name is a myth. I expect us to beat teams like Boreham Wood and Solihull because we have a higher level of investment than them, a supposed league class manager, better players, better training facilitates and great ground to play at. Even Chicksen said the set up was better than some league 1 clubs so no it's not on name alone, it's on the fact that everything is put in place to beat the teams in this league. Harrogate though have had their manager a long time and he's built them up well so were ahead of us in alot of ways.

Can we put this thread to bed anyway cause sacking the manager after a 1-0 loss to a team higher up and match fitter plus before the league has even kicked off is complete nonsense. 10 - 15 games in and doing nothing special then might be more appropriate.
    Good well reasoned reply

People really do need to recognize and understand the difference between saying we "should" (or "ought to") and saying that we "will".

Put it this way, Sunderland "should" be finishing above Wycombe Wanderers, year in, year out. That's not arrogance, that's an obvious statement of fact. It's a numbers game and you can see the evidence for that - Up until this year, they always have finished above Wycombe Wanderers and you'd expect them to do so in the future, once they get their act together, but there's always going to be big clubs that are being badly run at any given time. Hence the anomalies, which is all part of the fun, unless you happen to be a supporter of that team of course.

There's nothing wrong with saying Notts SHOULD be beating most clubs in this league, nothing wrong whatsoever. it's cheap point scoring to toss words like "arrogant" or "thick "around or to claim the common sense/reason ground just to shut down debate.

Where people look foolish is saying we WILL beat these teams, especially when you've got a proven failure in charge of the team.

Great response. You can't get away from the fact that the squad budget alone should have us right up there this season and gives us a big advantage over most clubs in the league.

But I'm really glad you said the following

"Harrogate though have had their manager a long time and he's built them up well so were ahead of us in alot of ways."

That's the one people seem to miss.

We tried to Big Budget + New Manager every single season approach and overall the results for the club have been awful. No doubt when relegated from L1 to L2 all those seasons ago , there would have been many a comment on here talking about how we are bigger club than most in the new division and have a bigger budget etc. This attitude/belief maybe connected to the need for a new manager every season as the results don't match the budget
    The one thing we haven't done is let too many managers have time to build up a squad, style, football philosophy.

Be it the current manager who someone else, I wonder if out owners will start to give managers a proper chance. So far it looks like they will ,and it's very refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Not tempted to convert to a Pastie then?
    Cor Blimey that was almost funny for you, up until a few years ago I used to holiday just outside Bude in a cottage with some fabulous fishing lakes as part of the holiday. We used to enjoy eating out in the local pubs of an evening. One night we ate in this pub in a local country town Holsworthy on the wall was a photograph of their Football Team, i thought it was the Pies as they wore Black & White Stripes, they are known as Holsworthy Magpies, a little bit of useless information for you, they are not far away from where POM lives either.

Page 12 of 139 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast