+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 139 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: THE Ardley In/Out Thread [Multiple threads merged]

Has "common sense and reasonable" now replaced "I agree with this post" on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    Having read all the posts on this Thread I wonder how our best manager Post War would have fared in to days world of Message Boards and Kangaroo Courts, bearing in mind our Jimmy made a fair few Clangers during his Reign.

Whilst the Reedtz appear to have Faith in Ardley and realise that Stability has been one of main problems for the major part of the Century I am sure they know exactly what they are doing with the Club so for me after giving my Loyal Support for what will be 70 years this coming season if it starts or even finishes I am happy to leave it in their capable hands gents. After All they rescued us when all look lost and they are paying the Bills.
    I agree entirely, but 'I am happy to leave it in their capable hands gents. After All they rescued us when all look lost and they are paying the Bills.' could have been said several times over various years!

However, there is a massive difference between those who were on an ego trip, and the Reedtz brothers / family who seem so much more controlled, careful and sensibly keeping away from social media. I am very confident we are now in safe hands - including taking a longer-term view over the managerial situation.

This season though I feel is make or break. I really hope it's make and feel it's time to get behind him and the team and (if the season happens) leave the inquest till later in the season - 15 games in and we need to have a clear indication that we are promotion material.

To be fair to the OP, he's not demanding that the owners sack him, he's asking Ardley to "do the decent thing and resign", which doesn't happen very often in football but is not unheard of.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    To be fair to the OP, he's not demanding that the owners sack him, he's asking Ardley to "do the decent thing and resign", which doesn't happen very often in football but is not unheard of.
    Now I think I know this one.

Who was the last Notts manager to resign?

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Now I think I know this one.

Who was the last Notts manager to resign?
    Hans Bakke as a proper resignation. If we are talking about leaving without signing a new contract, that would be Cooper

There's been a fair few 'by mutual consent', in most cases to save face I dare say and then those that have resigned because they've got another job lined up.

A resignation for the reason a manager knew he was out of his depth was Jack Burkitt in 1966 - Surprisingly for the time it was reported that he was suffering with nerves due to the pressure of the job.

Larry Lloyd, as I learnt very recently, also offered his resignation but was turned down four weeks before he ultimately parted company, presumably under the same circumstances or with that in mind, but I think it was 'by mutual' in print.

Didn't Billy Dearden resign as well?

Didn't Billy Dearden resign as well?
    He did indeed. Now there was a manager working under tough circumstances. We've been on the brink many times now, but that crisis led to the occasion supporters turned up for a game genuinely believing it would be the last.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    He did indeed. Now there was a manager working under tough circumstances. We've been on the brink many times now, but that crisis led to the occasion supporters turned up for a game genuinely believing it would be the last.
    Surely working under such tough conditions as they were, Billy must have gotten us relegated?

Dearden joined Notts County in January 2002, with the club on the brink of relegation and suffering serious financial problems. He was named as Second Division Manager of the Month in March following a 16-point haul.[6] He successfully guided the "Magpies" to safety in the Second Division thanks to a winning streak of eight wins in the club's final eleven games of 2001–02.[7]

The remainder of his tenure at Meadow Lane was dominated by the club's financial problems. He was unable to make a single permanent signing but comfortably kept County in the division during his first full season. He set a record for the longest period in administration as a manager in British football.[8] He left the club by mutual consent in January 2004, with the "Magpies" under new ownership.[9] At the time of his departure County were second bottom of the division after losing a crucial "six-point game" with Peterborough United.[10]

Surely working under such tough conditions as they were, Billy must have gotten us relegated?

Dearden joined Notts County in January 2002, with the club on the brink of relegation and suffering serious financial problems. He was named as Second Division Manager of the Month in March following a 16-point haul.[6] He successfully guided the "Magpies" to safety in the Second Division thanks to a winning streak of eight wins in the club's final eleven games of 2001–02.[7]

The remainder of his tenure at Meadow Lane was dominated by the club's financial problems. He was unable to make a single permanent signing but comfortably kept County in the division during his first full season. He set a record for the longest period in administration as a manager in British football.[8] He left the club by mutual consent in January 2004, with the "Magpies" under new ownership.[9] At the time of his departure County were second bottom of the division after losing a crucial "six-point game" with Peterborough United.[10]
    Enter Gary Mills.
    Better PPG ratio than Ardley in tier 4 though, so he must have been good.

Page 9 of 139 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast