+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 139 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: THE Ardley In/Out Thread [Multiple threads merged]

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Surely working under such tough conditions as they were, Billy must have gotten us relegated?

Dearden joined Notts County in January 2002, with the club on the brink of relegation and suffering serious financial problems. He was named as Second Division Manager of the Month in March following a 16-point haul.[6] He successfully guided the "Magpies" to safety in the Second Division thanks to a winning streak of eight wins in the club's final eleven games of 2001–02.[7]

The remainder of his tenure at Meadow Lane was dominated by the club's financial problems. He was unable to make a single permanent signing but comfortably kept County in the division during his first full season. He set a record for the longest period in administration as a manager in British football.[8] He left the club by mutual consent in January 2004, with the "Magpies" under new ownership.[9] At the time of his departure County were second bottom of the division after losing a crucial "six-point game" with Peterborough United.[10]
    It’s interesting how with the passage of time and the hindsight of the near 20 years since the Billy Dearden era it can be seen actually as a great achievement. We probably did not appreciate at the time how good a job he actually did under those circumstances. We had nothing before to compare it to. We do now. It really was truly a great escape to keep us in the third tier throughout his tenure.

I liked Billy Dearden as a manager and a man as well. I hope he’s doing well and he should always be welcomed at The Lane.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 25-09-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    It’s interesting how with the passage of time and the hindsight of the near 20 years since the Billy Dearden era it can be seen actually as a great achievement. We probably did not appreciate at the time how good a job he actually did under those circumstances. We had nothing before to compare it to. We do now. It really was truly a great escape to keep us in the third tier throughout his tenure.

I liked Billy Dearden as a manager and a man as well. I hope he’s doing well and he should always be welcomed at The Lane.
    Top bloke, Billy.
    I really liked Cooper as well, also Nolan (though he probably did have to go in the end) and Kewell. If they've got something about them as a manager then I can respect them as a manager regardless of results. Vacant people, miserable dullards who put you on a downer, not for me when it comes to such an important role as figurehead for the club. Never liked Curle for that reason, very good stats, but not my cup of tea.

Being honest I don’t think Ardley is the man for us he is a nearly man imo.

I think we ALL need to accept he is not going to be sacked and it is the RIGHT decision not to at this moment in time if we sacked him we would have to pay at least 6 months salary and in these desperate times for everyone it would be madness to do so.

We won’t go down and I expect us to be amongst the play off places at least but my biggest worry is the season not starting or being completed.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post

Deaden did an incredible job. Finnity was causing havoc behind the scenes and making life very difficult for him. I think the reason some fans don’t have such good memories of him is that he had a very poor finish to his time here. Mostly because even though things financially were back on track he was just worn down by it all and I think to be honest, just needed a break from it all.
    I have nothing but good things to say about him and his time with us.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Deaden did an incredible job. Finnity was causing havoc behind the scenes and making life very difficult for him. I think the reason some fans don’t have such good memories of him is that he had a very poor finish to his time here. Mostly because even though things financially were back on track he was just worn down by it all and I think to be honest, just needed a break from it all.
    I have nothing but good things to say about him and his time with us.
    I will agree with that..

Who else remembers the Chelsea cup game under Dearden? When Barras scored I went mental

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/3204843.stm

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Who else remembers the Chelsea cup game under Dearden? When Barras scored I went mental

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/3204843.stm
    Yep played very well that night and we were unlucky to lose.

Have no problem with Deardon liked him and he did an incredible job here.

Absolutely loved it.

Got an early train down to properly prepare for the game in the fine public houses of Old London town whilst the players trained in a local park.

Great scenes for that goal. I remember legging it down the steps to celebrate and then looking up at the tiers of Chelski fans above. There faces were a mixture of amusement and bemusement. Good crowd in that night with sensible / cheap ticket prices.

We were voted best away fans at Stamford Bridge that season on a Chelsea website as we were very vocal as you would hope. And if I remember right the hosts kindly donated their share of the gate receipts to us to help us out.

We booked a national express journey back which was a mistake but also put money on Chelsea 4 v 2 Notts in a bookies just before kickoff trying to get the best odds going. Sadly all I had on me after a day in London pubs with mates was £2.53. Still at big odds it paid for the day out with a little spare.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Absolutely loved it.

Got an early train down to properly prepare for the game in the fine public houses of Old London town whilst the players trained in a local park.

Great scenes for that goal. I remember legging it down the steps to celebrate and then looking up at the tiers of Chelski fans above. There faces were a mixture of amusement and bemusement. Good crowd in that night with sensible / cheap ticket prices.

We were voted best away fans at Stamford Bridge that season on a Chelsea website as we were very vocal as you would hope. And if I remember right the hosts kindly donated their share of the gate receipts to us to help us out.

We booked a national express journey back which was a mistake but also put money on Chelsea 4 v 2 Notts in a bookies just before kickoff trying to get the best odds going. Sadly all I had on me after a day in London pubs with mates was £2.53. Still at big odds it paid for the day out with a little spare.
    Brilliant memories!

... what a night at Chelsea. In a nearby pub the Chelsea supporters telling me they loved us singing 'we're only here for your money ' (or something like that) ... and Stal's goal to make it a fair scoreline. Great support - 50 (?) coaches ...

Page 10 of 139 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast