+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The world’s going mad

The world’s going mad

Uncle Ben's Rice will change its name to Ben's Original and remove the image of a bow-tied black man from its packaging.

I miss the Golliwogs on the jam.....I had a large collection as a kid.

There is a shop at Goathland (Heartbeat) that still sells various Gollywog goods, they are openly on show, a couple of tourists went in and complained they were told where to go by the owners.

I only hope that they haven't cleared the shelves of Uncle Ben's rice and packed it off to landfill. Nothing would surprise me !!!

We shouldn't be eating rice for our dinner anyway, that's for the Chinese and the Americans. We should eat potatoes! Rice is a pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I miss the Golliwogs on the jam.....I had a large collection as a kid.

Is a snowman racist too? Why can't there be a black one with some black pudding sticking out of its nose as opposed to a carrot which could offend the " gingers "

A couple of American bands renamed themselves so as not to offend snowflakes; The Dixie Chicks became just the Chicks and Lady Antebellum changed their name to Lady A. In the latter case, it is particularly ridiculous as the term ‘Antebellum’, I believe, refers to a style of architecture common in the Southern states prior to the Civil War; how that is offensive, God only knows. As far as I know, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band have not renamed......!

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    A couple of American bands renamed themselves so as not to offend snowflakes; The Dixie Chicks became just the Chicks and Lady Antebellum changed their name to Lady A. In the latter case, it is particularly ridiculous as the term ‘Antebellum’, I believe, refers to a style of architecture common in the Southern states prior to the Civil War; how that is offensive, God only knows. As far as I know, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band have not renamed......!
    I was going to name our new band “The Cotton Pickers” Kets.

A rethink may be?

What shame that people do not differentiate between history and the present. Will some religions be considered as evil because some segments bombed innocent people world wide all in the name of religion.

Many British people live as part of the British society as a way of life because of history. It is history, understand that and not forget it but live with it and learn from it. We forgive Germany for two world wars, (Well most of us do I think) Get over it, it is history. We learn from our mistakes, let’s not make another mistake by causing divisions at every possible opportunity because of it.
    Last edited by Baggiemadguern; 23-09-2020 at 09:29 PM.

I think the Colonel Sanders image should be ditched as he looks suspiciously like a Deep South plantation owner. The case for the retention of the sweetie name Black Jacks (if they are still made) is indefensible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)