+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T uncle bens rice.

I don't care what its called, just makes me laugh how much such things wind people up!

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    Brin, the reason blackface is offensive to many is because it has been historically been used by white performers to mock black people, usually to present them as evil or stupid.

The same is not true in reverse, it doesn't for most cause the same offence.

Were you genuinely offended by seeing a black person in whiteface? If so, why? Are you a snowflake?
    what's good for the goose.

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    Ffs it has nothing to do with slavery

According to Mars, Uncle Ben was an African-American rice grower known for the quality of his rice. Gordon L. Harwell, an entrepreneur who had supplied rice to the armed forces in World War II, chose the name Uncle Ben's as a means to expand his marketing efforts to the general public.
    If this is correct then it's actually counter productive to the BLM argument.

This would actually ensure a successful black person is shoved out of the history books.

Rather than change the name, what they could do is do some research on the grower and put a bit of history on the packaging.

But like John, I don't give a sh1t. If they want to forget about him so be it.

Chuffin ell brin. You've not got this putting an end to circular threads lark have ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    If this is correct then it's actually counter productive to the BLM argument.

This would actually ensure a successful black person is shoved out of the history books.
    It's not correct, it's total b*llocks.

It's rumoured to have been a maître d'hôtel called Frank Brown, but hardly famous or particularly connected to rice. The line about being a rice grower was created by Mars for marketing purposes to give the fictional character of Uncle Ben a back story.

Still, people believe anything they read online, people can't differentiate fact from fiction or do even basic fact checking for themselves.

It's not correct, it's total b*llocks.

It's rumoured to have been a maître d'hôtel called Frank Brown, but hardly famous or particularly connected to rice. The line about being a rice grower was created by Mars for marketing purposes to give the fictional character of Uncle Ben a back story.

Still, people believe anything they read online, people can't differentiate fact from fiction or do even basic fact checking for themselves.
    If this is correct I hope I never see that face on my packet of rice ever again!!!!! 😡😡😡

I didn't see this level of outcry 20 years ago when Mars decided to change the name of one of it's best selling chocolate bars because of the racial undertones of it being called Ma Rathon.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    I didn't see this level of outcry 20 years ago when Mars decided to change the name of one of it's best selling chocolate bars because of the racial undertones of it being called Ma Rathon.
    I can't believe Cadburys Minstrels have survived!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    If this is correct I hope I never see that face on my packet of rice ever again!!!!! ������
    You're going to be gutted when you discover the Honey Monster was also invented by a team of marketers. Sorry.

You're going to be gutted when you discover the Honey Monster was also invented by a team of marketers. Sorry.
    I would have thought that you were on your way to Cadbury world by now with your banner!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast