+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: O/T uncle bens rice.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Can you prove that though?
    I don’t know what’s true tbh, like any other story from way back which will also have fictional/truths in them.
    How can we tell unless we physically go back?
    A fair point and absolutely true the only ones who can say for certain that uncle Ben was named after a famous rice grower are Erich Huzenlaub and Gordon Harwell who I suspect are long dead as for the photo I suspect there will be a law suit from his family for the removal of that photo as it removes the recognition Frank brown made and I should think so.

What’s next erasing Michael Jackson? Nelson Mandela? Barack Obama? Samuel L Jackson? Would people still be fine if they wanted to remove Arthur Wharton from history books?

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    I almost posted this link last night but I thought it would be funny to hold it back and see if people would still try and argue. So predictable! The question is whether with this from Uncle Ben's own website people still won't admit they are wrong.

https://www.unclebens.com/disclaimer
    I wasn’t arguing about it

I almost posted this link last night but I thought it would be funny to hold it back and see if people would still try and argue. So predictable! The question is whether with this from Uncle Ben's own website people still won't admit they are wrong.

https://www.unclebens.com/disclaimer
    I dare say they made up some of the background but being as mars didn’t make the company they have no credibility on whether he was real or not.

I get the argument that uncle was a term given to slaves and arguably you can see how uncle Ben May have been a slave on a rice patty farm however being as they don’t know if he was real or not they changed there name to bens original which is fair enough but what grinds at me is the removal of the photo of frank brown, who’s next cornel sanders

To clarify, are you suggesting what I said is incorrect?
    To clarify I'm saying that your comment about people believing anything they read online also extends to you. This is evidenced by the fact that you copied & pasted from the Uncle Ben's wikipedia site. You, me, uncle tom cobley or captain birdseye have no idea whether that Uncle Ben Wikipedia page is true. Wikipedia is open source. One would think it is correct simply because youd have to be pretty sad to maliciously change a Wikipedia site about a boil in the bag rice product!!

So, perhaps, instead of patronising and condescending with comments about "people" believing anything they read online, wind your neck in, have a good think and try to work out why the silent majority are getting right royally peed off with being told what and how to think. Were in danger of seeing things that arent actually there!!

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    I didn't see this level of outcry 20 years ago when Mars decided to change the name of one of it's best selling chocolate bars because of the racial undertones of it being called Ma Rathon.
    Not seen Ma Donnakebabs advertised lately

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy King of the West View Post
    To clarify I'm saying that your comment about people believing anything they read online also extends to you. This is evidenced by the fact that you copied & pasted from the Uncle Ben's wikipedia site. You, me, uncle tom cobley or captain birdseye have no idea whether that Uncle Ben Wikipedia page is true. Wikipedia is open source. One would think it is correct simply because youd have to be pretty sad to maliciously change a Wikipedia site about a boil in the bag rice product!!

So, perhaps, instead of patronising and condescending with comments about "people" believing anything they read online, wind your neck in, have a good think and try to work out why the silent majority are getting right royally peed off with being told what and how to think. Were in danger of seeing things that arent actually there!!
    lol, to clarify, I know what you were saying.

What you hadn't foreseen is that I was a few steps ahead, I had already checked thoroughly. I chose to hold back the Uncle Ben website disclaimer (which confirms Uncle Ben is fictitious incase you missed it) just as an experiment to see if anyone tried to accuse me of copying and pasting off Wikipedia. I even took the trouble to copy and paste but change a word so it looked like it was the only place I checked to the unsuspecting but with the alteration as proof I'd been scheming ahead of time. I subtly replaced 'named' with 'called' so you wouldn't notice. Go ahead and check.

I thought I'd get challenged, but I couldn't have imagined I'd have 3 of you take the bait! It's so funny you even literally called me out on copying and pasting from Wikipedia! To be fair, who would have suspected I'd be so tedious as to set up something like that.

I've not seen anybody be told how to think, what a weird thing to worry about. Some people could do with basic lessons on fact checking though, particularly if they don't want to put themselves in situations where they feel they are being patronised and getting peed off.

If you think I'm gullible for things I read online, I'll gladly be called out upon it and wind in said neck. Better luck next time.

Edit: Also, you seem to think Wikipedia isn't a credible source of information, but it certainly can be. Reading it blindly is a bad idea, but everything contains references that make most claims easy to verify.

‘What you hadn't foreseen is that I was a few steps ahead’

It’s either the Doc or Marty McFly himself.

Hero 👍

Frankie and Benny never existed either, even though they have pictures and busts of them in the restaurants.

LOL, you'll believe anything you read too! There may well be a back story courtesy of Uncle Ben's but its made up. There really were black rice growers, but that's about as far is it goes, the back story is a marketing creation to sell products.
    You're bringing too many people into this post.

Minstrels are made by Galaxy/Mars, not Cadbury.
    No doubt you're on it!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast