+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T uncle bens rice.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

O/T uncle bens rice.

Having to change its name because of racial stereotypes. 🤦🏻*♂️🤦🏻*♂️

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sk...types-12079262

Quote Originally Posted by Back of the net View Post
    Having to change its name because of racial stereotypes. ����*♂️����*♂️

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sk...types-12079262
    I can tell this change is going to have a huge impact on your life.

Dam it I had you second to respond.
    Oh well.

Ffs it has nothing to do with slavery

According to Mars, Uncle Ben was an African-American rice grower known for the quality of his rice. Gordon L. Harwell, an entrepreneur who had supplied rice to the armed forces in World War II, chose the name Uncle Ben's as a means to expand his marketing efforts to the general public.

Wey heyy! Round we go again!

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    Ffs it has nothing to do with slavery

According to Mars, Uncle Ben was an African-American rice grower known for the quality of his rice. Gordon L. Harwell, an entrepreneur who had supplied rice to the armed forces in World War II, chose the name Uncle Ben's as a means to expand his marketing efforts to the general public.
    If this is correct then it's actually counter productive to the BLM argument.

This would actually ensure a successful black person is shoved out of the history books.

Rather than change the name, what they could do is do some research on the grower and put a bit of history on the packaging.

But like John, I don't give a sh1t. If they want to forget about him so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    If this is correct then it's actually counter productive to the BLM argument.

This would actually ensure a successful black person is shoved out of the history books.
    It's not correct, it's total b*llocks.

It's rumoured to have been a maître d'hôtel called Frank Brown, but hardly famous or particularly connected to rice. The line about being a rice grower was created by Mars for marketing purposes to give the fictional character of Uncle Ben a back story.

Still, people believe anything they read online, people can't differentiate fact from fiction or do even basic fact checking for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    It's not correct, it's total b*llocks.

It's rumoured to have been a maître d'hôtel called Frank Brown, but hardly famous or particularly connected to rice. The line about being a rice grower was created by Mars for marketing purposes to give the fictional character of Uncle Ben a back story.

Still, people believe anything they read online, people can't differentiate fact from fiction or do even basic fact checking for themselves.
    Sorry John, but I had to have a wry smile with your words, "people believe anything they read online" when you've clearly done precisely what we all have. Namely type "Uncle Ben's Wikipedia" into your search engine. You then cut and paste some of the content onto this thread.

It would appear that people believe anything they read online also extends to you.

That's a coincidence My uncle Tomcabin has had to change his name as well.

Here's one for you. The other night I watched a bit of the film 'Coming To America' starring Eddie Murphy. In the film, Murphy wears a latex mask and plays a white Jewish man in a barber's shop. Is anyone calling for this now to be banned? And to think they banned the Black and White minstrel show.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast