+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sir Patrick Vallance

Sir Patrick Vallance

Today it has been reported in several newspapers that Sir Patrick Vallance owns £600,000 worth of shares in Glaxo Smith Kline (GSK). https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...maker-GSK.html
    Last night I received an email from an independent news agency I have previously signed up to called UNN who highlighted Sir Patrick Vallance the Government’s Chief Scientific Advisor being a major shareholder in Glaxo Smith Kline.
    Sir Patrick who is the Government’s Chief Scientific Advisor also chairs the Government’s expert panel on vaccines.
    Sir Patrick was previously President of GSK from 2012-18 and according to the documents seen by the Telegraph newspaper he held 404,201 GSK shares worth £6.1 Million at today’s price when he resigned in 2018.
    According to the article which is also on other newspaper websites but to date not on the BBC website or teletext Sir Patrick has sold over £5 million pounds worth of shares during his tenure at GSK from 2012-18 when he was appointed the Chief Scientific Officer at the Government.
    The article further states that Sir Patrick still holds a deferred bonus of 43,111 GSK shares worth £600,000 which are due to mature in April 2021.
    GSK are one of 20 companies around the world rushing to produce a vaccine to provide a cure for coronavirus an achievement which would be colossally lucrative.
    The article states that it is not known if Sir Patrick Vallance has previously declared his stake in GSK which could result in a possible conflict of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    Today it has been reported in several newspapers that Sir Patrick Vallance owns £600,000 worth of shares in Glaxo Smith Kline (GSK). https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...maker-GSK.html
    Last night I received an email from an independent news agency I have previously signed up to called UNN who highlighted Sir Patrick Vallance the Government’s Chief Scientific Advisor being a major shareholder in Glaxo Smith Kline.
    Sir Patrick who is the Government’s Chief Scientific Advisor also chairs the Government’s expert panel on vaccines.
    Sir Patrick was previously President of GSK from 2012-18 and according to the documents seen by the Telegraph newspaper he held 404,201 GSK shares worth £6.1 Million at today’s price when he resigned in 2018.
    According to the article which is also on other newspaper websites but to date not on the BBC website or teletext Sir Patrick has sold over £5 million pounds worth of shares during his tenure at GSK from 2012-18 when he was appointed the Chief Scientific Officer at the Government.
    The article further states that Sir Patrick still holds a deferred bonus of 43,111 GSK shares worth £600,000 which are due to mature in April 2021.
    GSK are one of 20 companies around the world rushing to produce a vaccine to provide a cure for coronavirus an achievement which would be colossally lucrative.
    The article states that it is not known if Sir Patrick Vallance has previously declared his stake in GSK which could result in a possible conflict of interest.
    Seems to me that it is a good idea to have really experienced people helping any government. Of course he would hold shares in GSK , itis almost unheard of for directors not to hold shares in the company they work for.
    He won't be short of a bob or two and I would be amazed if there was any conflict of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Seems to me that it is a good idea to have really experienced people helping any government. Of course he would hold shares in GSK , itis almost unheard of for directors not to hold shares in the company they work for.
    He won't be short of a bob or two and I would be amazed if there was any conflict of interest.
    In my opinion he should have immediately declared that he still had 43,111 deferred bonus shares in GSK when it was announced that GSK was one of twenty firms trying to produce a vaccine to get a cure for the Covid-19 virus instead of having it dragged out of him by the investigative newspaper journalists.
    MPs and MSPs have to declare any shareholdings they own and it should be the same for the UK Government’s Chief Scientific Advisor especially when he is advising the Prime Minister and Health minister when to start the National Lockdown and to advise local lockdowns.

I agree with BCRAM, of course it would be common sense he’d be a shareholder at GSK. It would also be ludicrous to find out they weren’t trying to find a vaccine.

I declare DR Death and his sidekick should be sacked.

100% hope you are wrong. We need people who are honest more than we need politically acceptable yes men.
    Look at the state our football clubs are in. They are terrified to tell the truth because they might upset big bad Holyrood.They have taken their shilling and sold out for support for youth academies etc. The wee clubs should be riding a wave of local support but they can't because of government policy both Westminster and Holyrood.

Hope Dr Death keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    100% hope you are wrong. We need people who are honest more than we need politically acceptable yes men.
    Look at the state our football clubs are in. They are terrified to tell the truth because they might upset big bad Holyrood.They have taken their shilling and sold out for support for youth academies etc. The wee clubs should be riding a wave of local support but they can't because of government policy both Westminster and Holyrood.

Hope Dr Death keep up the good work.
    I don't, he's killing people.

Apparently known as vacant and half wit in the palace of Westminster.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)